Canon 28-135 f3.5/5.6 IS USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 28-135 f3.5/5.6 IS USM

Got a question on a lens and wanted to see if anyone has experience with this one. I am thinking about retiring the 18-55 kit lens for a Canon 28-135 f3.5/5.6 IS USM. Main reason is because of the zoom on the lens and a few other things. It seems like a good investment to me but I want to see if anyone has experienced this lens. I have read some mixed reviews on it. It seems like it will cover the photography I am doing for now. Might get a telephoto and a wide angle later on but I want to see if anyone has any feedback on this specific lens?

Thanks in Advance.

Just to add if there is another cheaper option someone might want to throw in I am willing to look into them.

Main things I take pictures of are - Landscape, people, Cars, architecture. Those are the main ones.
    Last edited by NAiL05; 08-27-2009, 07:58 PM.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

That focal range is great for what you say you like to shoot. Only downside is you're loosing a little bit on the wide end, but the zoom more than makes up for that.

If you find a need for a longer zoom you'd probably want something with a higher f-stop anyway so I don't think this would block you from getting a better telephoto down the line.

As to the lens itself, I haven't the foggiest Maybe one of the Cannonites can help you out to that end.

EDIT: Holy shit Nelson, you have sooooo many posts. Unbelievable

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

lol thanks. Haha thats from back in the day when I had the car. I rarely post nowadays =D. Me and deev used to have competitions lol. I deleted quite a bit of older threads though. But yea so far it looks like a worthwhile lens to get for me. The 18-55 is nice for a throw around. Its not bad but I think mine is showing its age a bit lol.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Don't doubt that kit lens's ability. My best shots have come from my kit lens.

But I know how you feel about wanting to get new glass, it's hard to resist.

Originally posted by Maple50175
        Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

ive had two of them... i had one that i bought when i had my rebel and i loved it... just at the time i was shooting mostly club stuff and not much else. i then sold it to a friend who still uses and loves it.... my second one i have i got bnib with my 40d... i love the lens i just dont use it all that often... i use my wideangle and telefoto so much more...

i say go for it... its a big step up from the kit lens.

"Tucking tires and wires."
          The Chronicles.

Comment

I have one and like it alot when outdoors or in a situation with a bunch of light. I really need to get a prime F1.4-1.8 lens for low light situations.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/28-135mm.htm <- this guy really lays it out well.
            ~~~~~~~

Comment

go to http://pixel-peeper.com/ and choose the lens from the list and check out pictures that have been taken with it. It will give you a bit more of an idea of results you can expect from it.
              The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
              Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
              Check out my JDM F22B swap
              Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL View Post
                go to http://pixel-peeper.com/ and choose the lens from the list and check out pictures that have been taken with it. It will give you a bit more of an idea of results you can expect from it.
                I've been looking for a site like that! DANKE!!!
                ~~~~~~~

Comment

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...72#post8514372

1999 Honda Prelude
                  Photography Site

Comment

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL View Post
                    Yep I am always on there browsing pictures. Usually where I go to get scope out my lenses. The main reason why I asked was just to get a firsthand view of the person that has actually used the lens and reliability. I can look at pictures all day but if the lens craps out when you constantly use it then whats the point of wasting 400 some odd dollars. Thats kinda why I posted this thread.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                    X