buying a camera is complicated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying a camera is complicated!

so i'm looking at buying a new camera, our 8 month old is on the move and my old casio exilm is a good camera, but not gonna do the job. we want a more advanced camera but don't think an slr is necessary. i know alot of you on here are good photographers and was wanting to get some opinions. we wil use it mostly for taking pics of our daughter, but i will also be using it to take pics of the cars i restore. we are looking at a Nikon - Coolpix P100 10.3-Megapixel here is the link
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+...&skuId=9758747
    let me know what you think. and $350.00 to $450.00 is what we're looking to spend

get a dslr you can find one for that price

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Originally posted by d112crzy
    I quit jobs as much as I swap engines.

Comment

You can get a decent starter SLR for that price. You simply have to look a little harder then bestbuy... www.amazon.com is your friend
      ~~~~~~~

Comment

x2 on the dslr, but if you wanna stay point and shoot, i'd personally reccomend a sony dsc-h50...

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-32775804.html

because i have the camea and it's a GREAT point and shoot and has a GREAT picture...
        and it's almost half the price than the one you posted..

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

thanks for the input i'm still trying to decide if a dslr is gonna be good for us not much of a photographer so i'm trying to figure out the benefits of dslr to point and shoot

Comment

If you want something to tote around day to day to get pictures just to keep the memories a point and shoot will do just fine.

If you really want to capture a moment with the best image quality or have an interest in picking up photography as a hobby then a DSLR would suit you well.

Keep in mind, the zoom you typically get on a standard point and shoot will be much more than whatever lens comes with the DSLR you buy. As such, if you want to be able to zoom in a lot and are interested in a DSLR, you would have to purchase another lens.

Originally posted by Maple50175
            Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

I've personally had great success with every canon PowerShot I've ever used, I great friend of mine that goes to CNU has won several photography contests with his SD850, i believe it is.... the SD series cameras don't have full manual exposure control I believe, but Canon's A series powershots have full manual exposure control if that's what you're looking to get in to.
              -these, however, are older Canons. I'm not too sure about the newer Canons.

then again, another great friend of mine bought a Leica P&S type camera that he took to a work trip to Haiti and came back with some beautiful shots... probably one of the best point and shoots out there.
              Leica D-Lux 4

imo, if you're going to spend 400 bucks, don't buy a mediocre slr when you could get a high-end compact that can take comparable pictures with half the bulk.

EDIT: i haven't looked at the prices of Leica in a while...
              ALSO: it's not a Leica he has, it's a Lumix with a Leica lens... Lumix DMC LX3K
              Last edited by lsn92ex; 04-11-2010, 12:36 AM.

Comment

try nikon there great. i have a nikon s220.

MY RIDE thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157293

Comment

Working...
                X