Looking to step up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to step up.

Hey guys, hopefully you've seen some of my shots in the main thread...

I want to ask for your opinions on stepping up to a bigger (better) camera.
    Right now I'm using a rebel XSi that maxes out at 1600 iso.
    I've got the kit lens, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm f/4, and a Sigma 10-20mm f/4.

I want to take some better indoor shots, so I figure a higher sensitivity camera would do the trick... I'm slowly starting to photograph weddings; in addition to cars, people and other random events.

I've been making-do with my little xsi. It really is a fantastic camera, and with a little magic in Lightroom, things look even better

But I'd really like to get a better camera...
    I really don't have the money to get a 5D, or anything full-frame. I want to keep using the glass I have...

I've looked into the t3i, and briefly into the 40D... by briefly I mean I just looked at a craigslist posting for one...
    I just read the thread someone else had on the t3i and you all mentioned that if you were buying a camera with the potential of shooting professionally, you'd look elsewhere.
    What would you guys suggest for someone that wants to move up with the potential of professional work?

This sums it up pretty good. You could also look at buying a used 5d (usually around $1,000) if you want to go full frame.

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

essentially, the 60D is the "big boy" version of the 660, or t3i?

Comment

Yes, the 60D is a 600D - T3i (same camera) on steroids

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post

This sums it up pretty good. You could also look at buying a used 5d (usually around $1,000) if you want to go full frame.
          You will see better high iso out of the 60d than the 5d though.

1999 Honda Prelude
          Photography Site

Comment

thanks for the help guys. I'm pretty set on getting a 60D now. I've heard that the 7D is an even better choice.... but the 60D is pushing the budget far enough.

Comment

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
              You will see better high iso out of the 60d than the 5d though.
              but u have to crank iso more with the 60d because the 5d sensor is faster than the 60d sensor... not trying to be a fanboy lol its just something i noticed. the larger the sensor the quicker it exposes. something people forget to take into account.

"Tucking tires and wires."
              The Chronicles.

Comment

Yes, the full frame makes a huge difference. You're going to be able to shoot at lower ISOs on the 5D than on a 60D in the same situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
                  Yes, the full frame makes a huge difference. You're going to be able to shoot at lower ISOs on the 5D than on a 60D in the same situations.
                  Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                  but u have to crank iso more with the 60d because the 5d sensor is faster than the 60d sensor... not trying to be a fanboy lol its just something i noticed. the larger the sensor the quicker it exposes. something people forget to take into account.
                  I agree completely with both of you. I was simply noting that the 60d can go higher and perform better at higher iso's.

Originally posted by lsn92ex View Post
                  thanks for the help guys. I'm pretty set on getting a 60D now. I've heard that the 7D is an even better choice.... but the 60D is pushing the budget far enough.
                  I went back and forth for a while and I think I am set on the 7d instead of the 60d. The 7d seems like it is worth the extra $500 or so.

1999 Honda Prelude
                  Photography Site

Comment

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
                    I went back and forth for a while and I think I am set on the 7d instead of the 60d. The 7d seems like it is worth the extra $500 or so.
                    The deal breaker for me was the money. I watched that British Asian guy review all three of the cameras in this "category" and I believe I'm a 60D kinda person.

Comment

Originally posted by lsn92ex View Post
                      The deal breaker for me was the money. I watched that British Asian guy review all three of the cameras in this "category" and I believe I'm a 60D kinda person.
                      For sure. If your budget is around $1000, your options are definately the 60d or the 5d classic. Now it is just full frame v.s. crop and refurb v.s. used. Good Luck!

1999 Honda Prelude
                      Photography Site

Comment

The 7D's advantages are mainly in speed (FPS, AF, and user controls) and build quality (Magnesium and weather seals).

Unless you will be shooting in dirty environments (Rain, trails, etc) or are going to be shooting lots of sports then it seems foolish to waste that $500 on upgrading to a 7D. Even if you will be shooting sports from time to time the 60D is still a reasonably equipped camera to use.

Comment

For the price im still sold on the 600D.

I want that HD video as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                            For the price im still sold on the 600D.

I want that HD video as well.
                            the 60d and 7d also have the hd video.

"Tucking tires and wires."
                            The Chronicles.

Comment

well guys, I did it. I just picked up a 60D a few hours ago from a craigslist posting for 800. thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X