Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 Repair

So, the paper I work at has had a 70-200 f/2.8 for years that I've always known about but always assumed was stolen or thrown away due to damage as I asked around and no one had any idea about it.

However, today when I was rummaging through some old cabinets one of the guys that's been there for a while asked if I was looking for the lens, which I wasn't. He goes into his office and pulls the thing out as if it's no big deal. He proceeds to tell me they don't keep it with the other office equipment because it's broken. I take a look at it and sure enough, the focus is stuck at infinity. Since the paper doesn't have a ton of spare cash and most photographers have their own gear they never bothered to get it fixed (Nikon quoted something ridiculous like $600 to repair, without parts).

Well, seeing as how it's been sitting in an office for who knows how many years and the fact it was, at the time, a very expensive paper weight I decided to take a stab at fixing it.

Now, going into this I had absolutely no idea what I was getting into. Since this is the original version of the 70-200 I was worried that the issue was related to any number of AF problems that plagued this lens.

So, I got home, searched the internet for ~30 seconds before finding how to disassemble the front of the lens. After unscrewing the front beauty ring and removing the front lens cover with six tiny screws I saw this.

A tiny tab from one of the AF lock buttons on the front of the lens had been bent back after a drop of the lens. It was catching the metal from the focusing ring, hence why it was getting stuck at infinity. I bent the tab back, put everything back together, and mounted it up for some tests. Flawless.

So, I spent roughly 2 minutes "repairing" the lens where Nikon wanted $600 to fix it themselves. Moral of the story is don't hesitate to see if there is anything you can do when it comes to fixing things yourself (especially when it's not your own gear, haha).

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

lucky bastard lol!

Nice pickup!

Comment

Working...
    X