Opinions on UV filters?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on UV filters?!!

Ok so ive been reading about UV filters because i have seen how they can keep blue skies looking good etc and protect the lens.

So i see that Tiffen makes one and so does Hoya, with Hoya being the better one?

Theyre really cheap so i just wanted to know how often these come in handy?

I've seen some people say they didn't notice ANY difference with or without the filter and others say they leave it on their kit lens all the time because it makes such a difference?

Any advice?

UV filters are mainly used to protect the front of the lens in case you bump into something or drop the lens. The filter gets scratched or breaks instead of the front element of the lens, which is easy and cheap to replace compared to if you had broken the front element. They offer very little in terms of image enhancement.

I use Nikon UV filters on the front of all my lenses except the 50mm, as the front element is so recessed that it would be very difficult for something to break it.

Here's technical mumbo-jumbo if you're into that kind of thing

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article...ters_test.html

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
      UV filters are mainly used to protect the front of the lens in case you bump into something or drop the lens. The filter gets scratched or breaks instead of the front element of the lens, which is easy and cheap to replace compared to if you had broken the front element. They offer very little in terms of image enhancement.
      This .. ^

I have'nt owned one in years tho .. I just keep my shit clean and try not to bang stuff!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

I keep mine on all the time and place any other filters over that one on my sony 14.2 mp dslr from what i know it honestly helps with the focus on bright sunny days other than that nothing ive noticed other than protection.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=177927 <MY BUILD PROGReSS
        Originally posted by deevergote
        it won't be because cb7tuner told him to! It'll be because it's time to feed the trouser snake...

Comment

ok thanks fellas!!!

Comment

ive had issues with reflections on the few lenses ive used them on... like id have ghosting of light sources in my images... im not a fan... im just careful with my glass

"Tucking tires and wires."
            The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
              ive had issues with reflections on the few lenses ive used them on... like id have ghosting of light sources in my images... im not a fan... im just careful with my glass
              Ya ive seen a bunch of good images made worse online lol....

im going to just be careful.

Comment

I used them religiously for the first year or so of owning my first dslr. I then discovered that the proper use of a lens hood solves most problems that UV filters do and they are a lot cheaper. The only time I use a UV filter is when I am in dusty/sandy environments.

If you do buy one, shell out the cash for a quality filter. Don't buy the cheap stuff.

1999 Honda Prelude
                Photography Site

Comment

Ok thanks zach.

I'm going to make my next accessory either a battery pack or upgrade the flash.

I'm also interested in the rhodes stereo mic and a decent zoom lens.

Comment

The mic is nice but you really have to push yourself to have it with you. I find all to often it enjoys it's place in my camera bag.

The lens and flash are far more practical in terms of "photography." A battery pack isn't going to let you take better photos and I don't see any scenario where you would kill a battery in a single day of shooting. I've shot sports all day long with VR lenses and I've never used a battery up in a single day of shooting. Maybe if you are using the pop-up flash then the battery could get drained faster, but honestly the pop-up flash might as well not be there as far as I'm concerned.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

The mic is nice but you really have to push yourself to have it with you. I find all to often it enjoys it's place in my camera bag.

The lens and flash are far more practical in terms of "photography." A battery pack isn't going to let you take better photos and I don't see any scenario where you would kill a battery in a single day of shooting. I've shot sports all day long with VR lenses and I've never used a battery up in a single day of shooting. Maybe if you are using the pop-up flash then the battery could get drained faster, but honestly the pop-up flash might as well not be there as far as I'm concerned.
                      Well the battery pack was just "in case". If it lasts like that then i probably won't get an extra one.

What i want more then anything is a zoom lens lol....but i can't afford that with a bag and mem card just yet...so the lens has to take a backseat since i need to get accustomed to the camera before i can make good use of zoom lens anyway.

I will be getting a flash for sure.

As far as the mic, that will come in due time and i don't mind if it sits in the bag because i will be using this camera for photography first and formost.

Video will be less then 3% of the time....basically i just want the video part for when i have kids(not anytime in the near future) and only for certain events(when they arrise).

But im getting this camera because its a camera lol...so the mic wont come out to often anyway.
                      Last edited by Ralphie; 08-24-2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I will have a grip/battery pack on every non-pro body I own. The balance is 100x better with the extra size and weight that a grip brings.

1999 Honda Prelude
                        Photography Site

Comment

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
                          I will have a grip/battery pack on every non-pro body I own. The balance is 100x better with the extra size and weight that a grip brings.
                          I totally concur and agree 100% completely!
                          Think I like my grips? Oh yeahhh ... I'm an ole film guy, and my Canon's feel juuusst right,
                          sorta like an 80's Nikon with a 135mm slapped on it's kisser ..

Balanced baby .. no more sore wrists and or hands! No matter what lens is on the bod ...
                          Besides .. I went six hours with 3 bodies, 7 lenses, and 2 metz flashes firing like a gatling gun last week in a suite at The Palazzo!
                          I feel great!! The DSLR today is a toy compared to what we HAND carried .. for the most part.
                          I love some of the *photography forums* where guys actually complain about the wieght
                          of a Canon body and the 70-200 L .. Bwwhahaa! Mind you, these are young cats too!
                          I've walked weddings for 12 hours with 2 Pentax 6X7's (and them lenses is heeaavyy!)
                          And that's a freakin workout! Of course I never felt it till the next day!

The grip adds so much more room to .. well, WORK! Without it, they're like tonka toys.
                          I'd actually venture to say that I may even be a bit more inclined to drop a non-gripped body.
                          Very unstable in alot of different ways .. I could hand-hold any body that had a grip all day!
                          I guess it's all what you're used too. I like the rock solidness of a Nikon with the ole MD-12.
                          It FELT like a camera should feel .. you know, like a nicely weighted tool ..
                          Ever pick up a specific tool and go, "Ooo ya .. (tim allen style) Now that's a tool!" LOL!
                          There's a difference when something is just balanced to you.

The grip is a must! It's like putting a CAI on your mota! ...

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                            I totally concur and agree 100% completely!
                            Think I like my grips? Oh yeahhh ... I'm an ole film guy, and my Canon's feel juuusst right,
                            sorta like an 80's Nikon with a 135mm slapped on it's kisser ..

Balanced baby .. no more sore wrists and or hands! No matter what lens is on the bod ...
                            Besides .. I went six hours with 3 bodies, 7 lenses, and 2 metz flashes firing like a gatling gun last week in a suite at The Palazzo!
                            I feel great!! The DSLR today is a toy compared to what we HAND carried .. for the most part.
                            I love some of the *photography forums* where guys actually complain about the wieght
                            of a Canon body and the 70-200 L .. Bwwhahaa! Mind you, these are young cats too!
                            I've walked weddings for 12 hours with 2 Pentax 6X7's (and them lenses is heeaavyy!)
                            And that's a freakin workout! Of course I never felt it till the next day!

The grip adds so much more room to .. well, WORK! Without it, they're like tonka toys.
                            I'd actually venture to say that I may even be a bit more inclined to drop a non-gripped body.
                            Very unstable in alot of different ways .. I could hand-hold any body that had a grip all day!
                            I guess it's all what you're used too. I like the rock solidness of a Nikon with the ole MD-12.
                            It FELT like a camera should feel .. you know, like a nicely weighted tool ..
                            Ever pick up a specific tool and go, "Ooo ya .. (tim allen style) Now that's a tool!" LOL!
                            There's a difference when something is just balanced to you.

The grip is a must! It's like putting a CAI on your mota! ...

I have heard this said so many times.

Im going to try it out with out the grip first and see what i think.....mind you ive never held an SLR with a grip so i wont really know what i like, but i like the idea that if the camera w lens is light then i feel like i can be more agile and move easier.

In good light, i like to move around....i will experiment and try to get vantage points that are not always easy to get to.

Also if you are grippin an SLR then that means it sits around your neck that way?

For an old school guy use to the heavy duty stuff from yesteryear then id imagine it isn't a big deal but i would also assume that a gripped camera is pretty solid and slightly heavy and so having it around your neck for a few hours is going to take a toll????

Idk.

q-

if i take my slr to a photog store, will they allow me to test fit a grip on my body to get an idea how it feels???

Comment

Also if i get a grip...what kind?

OEM Canon or a knock-off.....i see a lot of peeps using the knockoff but i think that is because for the t2i, the knockoffs were cheaper when the t2i first debut.

Probably get a used OEM grip for cheap now??

Comment

Working...
                              X