Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f22b1 swap info 2

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=f22b1+swap

- The link above was helpful as shyt. Just wanted to add in my 2 cents w/ pics

- Went from F22A6 --> F22B(1) due to chipped block
    - Used F22A6 tranny fits perfectly
    - Just got done with the f22b1 swap, block says f22b cause JDM motor from tigerjapanese but prety much same motor.
    - Using F22A6 ECU for now. Only mod for ECU was to add the 2 VTEC wires straight to ECU.
    - 1st ever motor swap by myself. Not a single check engine light
    - Used all CB accessories (P/S, alt., & AC) w/ CD pullys due to CD U/D pully having an extra teeth for belt and pullys.
    - Timing can no longer be check by flywheel, so make sure U/D pully has timing marks.
    - Used stock driveshaft
    - Used original engine harness but a few male plugs had to be extended and/or modified to fit the female plugs on engine.
    - Used MAP sensor on throttle body and not from black box on engine wall. Plug had to be cut then used a different plug that fits the MAP sensor on TB. At 1st didnt connect the wires up correctly so engine fired up and ran for 1 sec then died immediately. Didnt know what was causing this and took a few days to finally figure out that I had the wires backward. Then engine ran perfectly after correct changes were made.

Original CD5 driver side motor mount. Using the CD driver side mount would have been complicated.

Original CB7 driver side motor mount (before shot). Using CB7 mount required little modification compare to using CD5 mount. Using CB7 driver side mount however made the engine shift closer to the driver side engine bay by 1 inch or so. All other motor mounts from CB fit perfectly with CD motor.

CB7 mount (after). Had to grind down corner of motor mount because it was dangerously close to the timing belt.

Fuel filter (before). Had to relocate/modify because CD5 fuel line going into fuel rail was on driver side. CBs had fuel line on the passenger side of fuel rail.

Fuel filter (after)

Clearance to Intake Manifold was pretty close but works out safely.

Used CB7 alt. & P/S bracket so had to modify ghetto-fabolous dip-stick with with zip ties, my best friend.

Front cross-member had to be cut to fit CD5 header (MEGAN racing)

CD5 downpipe about 15 inches shorter than CB7. CDs have 2 bolt flanges while CBs have 3 bolt flanges. To the muffler shop. Running straight headers is loud as shyt.

My old dizzy was external coil, new dizzy internal. Jam 30 amp fuse between black & yellow wires on plug to covert from external --> internal coil. Make sure to black tape fuse or else it'll pop out when starting engine.

Had to modify ebay CB intake to not rub against dizzy. CD throttle cable bracket on right side of manifold, CB on left side of manifold. Im going to weld the CB bracket onto the end of the CD bracket while using the old cable.

MISSION COMPLETED!!!!!!

nice write up

but why did you choose the f22b1 over other engines?

nice job with throwing no CEL...what a relief that mustve been eh
    Hold On Not Done Accelerating
    Had One Never Did Again

Comment

Good job bro have the exact same setup sohc f22 vtec runs great,but out of curiosity why did you relocate the fuel filter instead of swaping the fpr to the other side. I'll take a pic tomorrow to show what i'm talking about
      NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
      DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Good detail on the swap!

I basically did the same when I did my friends f22b1 swap on his cb 2 yrs ago. I didnt move the fuel filter though.

To be honest I will never do this swap again.

It wasnt worth the extra work. This swap took me longer then a h22 swap.

Comment

- Well i chose the peggy single cam vtec cause i didnt want to pay premium and didnt have the cash for H22 or H23. I did this swap not for power because im only gettin extra 5 hp/tq.
          - I didnt plan on doing a swap at all, my motor went out and i had to get it replaced and i didnt want the same motor, so i might as well get something different. Had no money saved up for it, and im under 1 grand for everything spent.
          - I actually prefer this motor over the JDM f22b DOHC motor. Hopefully with vtec my car will get a little better gas.
          - This swap is rated harder than a H22 swap, so im pretty proud of myself. Took a lot of my time especially with school right now, and there were a lot of minor mods that had to be done. I got a major headache at first, didnt know there would be so many extra work needed.
          - Probably wont plan on doing this swap again.
          - But now im finally done and proud.

Originally posted by Darkcloud View Post
          Good job bro have the exact same setup sohc f22 vtec runs great,but out of curiosity why did you relocate the fuel filter instead of swaping the fpr to the other side. I'll take a pic tomorrow to show what i'm talking about
          this FPR swap your talking about, i heard about this but had no idea of going about it. Thats why i just chose to relocate the filter. It'll be great if you could load up a pic. Maybe ill go back and do this.

Comment

not to bring this old thread up again but, does f22a1 header fit the f22b1 motor with out moding the cross member

Comment

also does the distributor from an f22a1 fit the f22b1 motor

Comment

Originally posted by mr_adrenalin714 View Post
                not to bring this old thread up again but, does f22a1 header fit the f22b1 motor with out moding the cross member
                f22a header = 0 0 0 0
                f22b header = 0 00 0

not the same, will not fit

Originally posted by mr_adrenalin714 View Post
                also does the distributor from an f22a1 fit the f22b1 motor
                dizzy will not be the same, only 2 of 3 wholes lines up, not sure what angle the dizzy ends up at either.

Comment

the dizzy's are different and two holes don't line up but with the top and front holes lined up you would be at the right angle. I actually used a 90-91 dizzy on my 95 ex.

Swap looks good. I know it is a pointless swap but i think the sohc vtec motors look cool in a cb. I just wish there were more intake manifold options.

I know i'm not supposed to do this here but I have a manual POA. 94-95 Vtec ecu for manual trans. If you are interested PM me. If you rev that motor over 4900 you run a risk of overrevvin due to no vtec. Happened to me on my first swap cuz i didn't know how to wire up vtec to the ecu.
                  vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

thanks for the reply's i think i shouldnt have any problems with vtec bc i also have a ecu for my motor but the header problem is going to be an issue and the dizzy

Comment

Well I believe you can use the F22A fuel rail so that you don't have to move the fuel filter.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                        Well I believe you can use the F22A fuel rail so that you don't have to move the fuel filter.
                        not sure the f22a fuel rail fits the f22b fuel rail. did the swap and if i could remember it didnt fit, but, you can get the aem fuel rail i believe.

I think "all" jdm f22b1 motors had FPR on driver side, or something like this, someone correct me if im wrong.

Comment

you know swapping the fuel rail for that of the CBs wouldve been better. thats what I did with my H.

also the belt wouldnt have caught on that bracket. being that the sprocket will always hold the belt where it is

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by alkoholikwun View Post
                            CB7 mount (after). Had to grind down corner of motor mount because it was dangerously close to the timing belt.

Wheel hop in my CB9 wagon with a stage 3 6 puck clutch broke this mount after I had modified it. The mount then grinded itself down on the cam gear as the crank pulley rested on the radius rod.
                            IG: H2wagon
                            https://www.youtube.com/@H2wagon

Comment

Working...
                            X