Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo'd!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo'd!

I'm about to take Elijah to cubscouts tonight, and when i get back, i plan on spending time with maria, as ive been gone since friday installing this thing/stuff. That being said, lots of fabbing was done, and ill leave you with these words.

dump pipe

and
    from my neighbor as i pulled into our lot
    "it sounds like a helicopter!"
    ill update with pics and such when i get time.
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Schweeeet! Go beat up on some camaros!
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

tons of pics and details man! and then dyno!

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

fucken awesome i hope im turbo'ed by saturday
        Upgrade your mind before you upgrade your car

"So. Cal OUTLAWZ "

Comment

uh huh mee too. nice shit must be really loude a heheh congrats
          contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

This is going to be a long post, with lots of pictures and a video and multiple words. if you are not a fan of any combination of these things, please, find a corner and situate yourself there until the next post.
            That being said, here is my turbo journal.
            FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!! thanks to my brother cory, without him, this would not have happened.!!!!
            I left friday night for my dads house in lincoln county, which is about an hour away to begin the turbo installation.

things that involved fabbing
            -downpipe
            -j pipe
            -exhaust(of course)
            -nozzle in oil pan for return feed line
            -charge pipes/couplers had to be cut and routed

Parts involved/installed

14b turbo
            2g dsm manifold slightly ported and drilled to fit
            2g dsm o2 housing
            2g dsm bov(i think)
            2g dsm 450 cc injectors
            evo 8 fmic
            new timing belt, water pump, balance shaft belt
            skunk 2 adjustable cam gear
            new chip for p06
            thats all i can think of for now

We started with the engine looking like this

we took off the header

removed the alternator, ps pump, a/c condenser(completely done away with)

removed the front motor mount, removed the side motor mount, and put the engine on a cherry picker so as to be able to access the timing belt, water pump, etc.

this takes forever and really sucks to do while the engine is in the bay.
            installed that stuff on friday and saturday and time just went by, not sure where it all went. regardless, the next order of business after that was on was the cam gear, and if you ever install an adjustable cam gear, ensure that the bolts that allow you to adjust the cam are themselves secure, as this will come back up in a minute.
            so, heres the cam gear, and it looks great.

we ground the area off the block so that the turbo would fit, and then we put the turbo, exhaust manifold(which we had already fixed the holes on so that it would fit right) and o2 housing. alas, i did not have a j pipe and it would be the last thing we would get made.
            so, we took the fuel rail off and got ready to install the bigger and better 450cc dsm injectors.

this requires a small amount of dremeling of the rings to get them to fit

Comment

now dad got involved and helped us to braze the a nozzle onto the oil pan so that the oil return line would come fit in there.

much better than jb weld in my opinion
              we installed the ecu

now it was time to mount the intercooler and destroy the inner workings of the front bumper
              before

after

not the prettiest thing ever, and it could actually spare to be cut some more, but for now, its fine.
              we mounted the intercooler with via l brackets
              began to route the charge pipes and bov

curses, i only had 2 red couplers, and alas have a mismatched blue one in there which i look to replace

at this point we pretty much had everything back on and ready to go sans a downpipe from the o2 housing and a j pipe from the turbo to the intercooler piping.
              yay for skytower in stanford, ky and their fantastic work.
              so we go to start it.
              vroom , it starts twice, and then i shut it off.
              it wont start again.
              we cannot figure out what we did wrong.
              we spend hours double checking gaskets and seals and everything else
              "hey, did you check those bolts on that cam gear when you got it"
              "no, i figured you would have before you installed it"
              check the cam gear, we're about 15 degrees retarded, literally and figuratively.
              fix it, bam, it starts up, sounds like a tank.
              we decide last night(monday night to go to skytower and try to get the exhaust made and me get home late)

oh yeah, i touched up my grill a little and replaced the accord emblem with a turbo emblem from a turbo coupe(thunderbird)
              alas, i have no downpipe and no donut gasket, and skytower does not either.
              last night ends, we go home, i stay at dads another night and decide to come back in the morning to try and get home by 2 today.
              didnt happen
              apparently, not many stores carry those donut gaskets and we ended up going a few places and getting a functional one in danville at advance that actually worked on a 350, among other things.
              we get the exhaust made,
              2.5" straight pipe from the o2 housing all the way to about half way down the car at which point it dumps at an angle to the ground. its not quite 90 degrees, but its close, and boy, is it loud. dust blows everywhere when youre sitting still.
              finally, we then get a j pipe made and run into the charge pipes, and wrap it in good ol asbestos wrap, since it goes right above the exhaust manifold
              http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...n/DSCF7206.jpg
              and here it is all together and at an angle

on the way from skytower it ran fine, and i had to stop and get a couple of things for vacuum lines as well as a pcv valve. it ran kind of shitty on the way home, and it burnt a little oil, so im going to actually need a new turbo soon, eventually. regardless, the ring that holds the wastegate actuator to the wastegate was missing, and i fixed that problem and its ran fine since. its a tad rich(which i prefer over lean) and the idle is a bit high. i cleaned out the fitv and put a block off plate on the egr(p06's dont read them anyways) and it helped out a little bit.
              regardless, it ran really strong after i fixed those two things and capped off the proper vacuum lines and opened up the other ones as needed.
              there are a few issues left to tackle
              the fmic is huge, and it sticks down past the lip.
              i can do a couple of things
              get a bigger lip(yes please to a legend lip)
              or
              get a smaller intercooler.
              the idle is still a bit high, but im hoping that during tuning that can be addressed.
              my nitrous kit is still there and ready to rock, as soon as i drill into the last charge pipe there. i might run a 25 shot, but im not sure. id also like to instead get an intercooler chiller, and im hoping that maybe i can get a bar for it and just convert this over, but im not sure how that would work out, and have yet to really look into it. i plan on getting it tuned this week at rtc and for your viewing pleasure, here is a video of it with me at about half throttle and just riding around with my friend tim

im very please with it so far and each time i hear that bov, i smile really big. it might be too loud to keep this way, but, it definitely sounds like a semi or something crazy, and i cant wait to hear more people tell me it sounds like a helicopter.

its not perfect, a couple things need to be fixed, its needs to be tuned, and it needs more boost, the engine bay is dirty, etc, but im happy with it and can clean it up tomorrow and install my boost gauge as well.
              questions, comments, smart remarks?

Comment

big thumbs up on the project. i looove seeing these threads. i just watched the video a few times and it sounds really good. you need to get a vid up after the tuning session and all the wrinkles are ironed out.

Comment

I got a smart remark excellent fuckin job keep up the good fuckin work . I like the way you performed your work at hand on the task yeah just get a bigger lip but make sure that intercooler is stabalized and mounted well. Just a touch up wouldnt hurt here and there. It sounds really nice.

Dont worry about the sound too much once you get it tuned itll quiet down a bit trust me on this. Maybe you should get a magnaflow 3 inch muffler mount that to some 3 inch exhaust piping with a 3 inch downpipe and youll be straight. The only thing im not to fond of being that im kinda yaknow secretive about what i do to my cars but honestly I wouldnt sport a turbo tag on my car to let everyone know including prying eyes.

I could be wrong but that car was just your blood sweat tears and effort. I want you to keep her safe install a killswitch please while your at it. My boys car just got stolen yesterday I seen him bum a ride to work with another co-worker today and his car was bone stock. Be safe out there happy boosting and dont get on it even though its hard to resist resist the urge to do so and get it tuned and keep some spare oillines around and have a tripple A account ready ya never know when shit happens to be on the positive side gotta cover your ass.

Comment

Remove the PCV/intake manifold hose. Run a catch can with a breather.

Otherwise, sounds good.

Comment

nice work, great pics. I can see how boost can be so rewarding and addictive, she is purring in that vid. got any more pics?

p.s. how many miles on your car and did you do a compression test pre?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

yeah, i plan on making/installing a catch can within the next few days as well, and forgot to put that. also, i hope to get a cheap dd here soon as well, so as to keep the stress off of this. as for triple a, the wife and i have been talking about it for a while, andnow that i have added risk, i most likely will get it. im calling the place for a tune tomorrow, i have 149k and i did not do a compression test before, although i should have.

Comment

Nice very nice and seeing you car is the same color as mine I decided not to paint it silver!
                          99 GS300 (Aristo) 2JZ Power

Bought from:gdout, bb6-sh

Comment

Sweetness!

It sounds a lot like an SRT-4 I used to know.

I had that same problem with the cam gears and had to learn the hard way! LOL!

At least I am not alone.

Clean install on the charge piping too BTW.
                            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

thanks, it was like putting together a puzzle.
                              and using a saws-all to get the stubborn pieces to fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X