Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its time for a rebuild.....But my CB will live again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thepowderblue View Post
    Holey crap, I wonder what made that happen!Your lucky it didnt fuck your block up.
    Well a few weeks back I got a low oil light, checked the oil and it wasn't even touching the dipstick. Changed the oil, there was less than a quart, and when I pulled the oil filter it was dry.

Yeah I got really lucky that this didn't destroy my block. I'm even luckier I decided to clean the pistons and scrub them down. I was worried because I couldn't find a reason for the blow by, but now I know.
    Last edited by dj_ender; 01-27-2012, 11:54 PM.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Nice work u got goin on. Ur description of ur progress is so vivid that it feels like i'm viewing it in person . Hope everything goes smooth for u.

My old f22a1 that's still sittin in my garage had the same problems as urs. Leaking oil from every hole n that rod knock sound, as well as throwing out a bunch of blue smoke. I was definite that my rings were gone because of all that blowby. But viewing ur thread leads me to the possibility that my ringlands are cracked as well. Still haven't opened up mine yet.
      RIP '91 LX.

Comment

Originally posted by youngflyndsaved View Post
        Nice work u got goin on. Ur description of ur progress is so vivid that it feels like i'm viewing it in person . Hope everything goes smooth for u.

My old f22a1 that's still sittin in my garage had the same problems as urs. Leaking oil from every hole n that rod knock sound, as well as throwing out a bunch of blue smoke. I was definite that my rings were gone because of all that blowby. But viewing ur thread leads me to the possibility that my ringlands are cracked as well. Still haven't opened up mine yet.
        Thanks! My intent is to document this process to show others that if you read and can use a wrench to can rebuild an engine, I've never done it before. So maybe I can inspire someone else to do the same. You should open her up and take a look at what's wrong inside.

Comment

Didn't get much done on the CB, I just did some cleaning of the head and the rods. Here's a few pics:

The plan for tomorrow is get the IM runners cleaned and the cradle/mains. More pics and updates to follow.

Comment

your engine is coming out nice and clean. im rdoing a head i got from the yard too and i was wondering what cleaning solutions you used to clean it? Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by ferenza View Post
              your engine is coming out nice and clean. im rdoing a head i got from the yard too and i was wondering what cleaning solutions you used to clean it? Keep up the good work!
              Thanks! I'm using Awesome! for the light oil areas and pieces. And I'm using a purple degreaser, it's called Super Clean, got it from O' Reilly's.

Comment

FINALLY! Got the engine and tranny out today with help of Ghetto_CB7. I believe we found the oil leak, the oil pump gasket was rock hard. If you look in the pic you can see directly below the oil pump where the oil was leaking. We had a hell of time getting the crank bolt off, at first we tried an electric impact wrench, no bueno. Then we walked across the street and borrowed a MASSIVE breaker bar, I swear you could easily murder someone with it. It took 2 seconds and the bolt was broke loose. Then the task of pulling all of the little small bolts began, which was a BLAST!

All of these bearings have pitting in them as well, good thing I'm replacing them!

And to top off the day I found out at the worst moment that my bigger brakes won't clear my rims...because they are 14". I SWEAR I had 15's... BTW these pics are of the passenger side, see something missing??

Supposedly I have an Exedy Stage 1 Organic clutch, don't know if that's true, but maybe someone will know.

Tomorrow the block, head, and crank are going to the shop to get worked on, should have them back from the shop on Friday. Then I have to order my rebuild kit, I'm hoping to have my car back on the road in a week/week and a half. I can't wait because after it is we are taking a trip to Seattle, maybe try and meet up with some members. More pics to follow as I begin to receive parts.

Comment

FINALLY got the block and crank to the shop. I went to load up the block today only to discover I brought the PERFECT truck for the job:

I am having the shop hone the walls and polish the crank, should have it back Thursday, Friday at the latest. After that I have to order my rebuild kit, and then wait to put this bitch back together. I'm sure I'll be leaning heavily on several members here, mainly NightmareCB7, Tippey764, and Ghetto_CB7. I thank you guys in advance for the help!

I did a final cleaning on the head, and here's the result:

More pics and updates as parts arrive, stay tuned.
                  Last edited by dj_ender; 02-01-2012, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Well FMMFL.... The block shop called this morning and told me he honed my walls and took off .004mm, which for the people that know, means that the walls are just out of spec for OEM sized pistons and rings AND over sized pistons won-t fit without a bore. Fucking great. My option now is to go across the street and inspect the F22a block that's out back of the shop. What a way to fucking wake up, good morning, your block is fucked, BUT you crank is fine....

More info to follow after my inspection.

Comment

Ok, finally got a good block, bought it from the shop across the street from me. I went a popped the head and found a little rust from water leaking thru a broken valve, just used some WD-40 and a green Scotch Brite. Upon further inspection I saw what looked to be fresh hatch marks, I really should have taken a pic. I then called the shop to inquire how long ago the work had been done, he said he knew the owner and his mother, who purchased the CB brand new.He said she hardly drove it and that it had NEVER been worked on, that those were the original marks.... Also the shop delivered my block to me, on a forklift!!! They drove the forklift across a major street, lol, the funniest thing in the world, wish I could have taken a video.

And so the tear down of the A6 block...wait, back up a little. Way back when I was looking for an A6 and an H23 for my intake swap I called this shop and inquired if the happened to have one due to someone doing a swap, and there was! So I run over and take a look, I see an A6 block....but with an A1/4 IM. So it's a no go. Then after the fiasco with my block I knew there was a good F22A? block across the street. I go over there and look again. The block says F22A6 but there is no IM or oil cooler, and looks like there never was. But there is an A6 cam in it and a windage tray......

New head gasket:

And its getting a little TLC in the cleaning department:

More pics and updates to follow, this should be finished Monday, just waiting on a steering rack bellows.
                      Last edited by dj_ender; 02-05-2012, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Only A6 automatics had the oil cooler.

Orange seals yuk.
                        wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                          Only A6 automatics had the oil cooler.

Orange seals yuk.
                          Wasn't aware it was just autos that had the cooler. And what's wrong with Felpro gaskets? I've never had an issue with them, but the color is ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                            Wasn't aware it was just autos that had the cooler. And what's wrong with Felpro gaskets? I've never had an issue with them, but the color is ugly.
                            I've had some issues with the valve covergaskets. If they can screw that up I'm not gonna trust them with a rear main. Lol.
                            wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                              I've had some issues with the valve covergaskets. If they can screw that up I'm not gonna trust them with a rear main. Lol.
                              one thing I did notice about my valve cover gasket is that it seems a bit too big, but if I put the cover on I can make it fit in there properly. I'll find out soon if they are bad, I will be using Royal Purple Synthetic.

Comment

why did you get another motor and not rebuild yours?
                                by the way trash that felpro headgasket and get your self the ebay one like nightmare has.

Look at the pic of the felpro, See how there is that ridge that smashes to seal.
                                it seals on the aluminum and thats bad. The ebay and oem one just seals on the sleeves.

Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
                                93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Working...
                                X