Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its time for a rebuild.....But my CB will live again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
    ... did you even read the thread?
    I've read the whole thing. Sorry, I've been up for over 24 hours straight; I read your last post pic post as saying "I have more teardown and rebuild pics I'll post in the morning." I see now that you mean you have more pics, but you're being lazy about sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
      I've read the whole thing. Sorry, I've been up for over 24 hours straight; I read your last post pic post as saying "I have more teardown and rebuild pics I'll post in the morning." I see now that you mean you have more pics, but you're being lazy about sharing.

Just making sure. I have no other pics right now, but I will be taking more tomorrow.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
        Funny you should mention that wildBill83. I had at one point a post all typed up explaining my concerns and my research, but then my phone decided to FUBAR and kill my post. I didn't want to bother to retype it.

Anyway, long story short, I am very aware, but thanks for bringing it up. According to the Wikipedia article on galvanic corrosion / galling, the galvanic potential between steel and aluminum is less than between brass and aluminum. Check the article and confirm or deny my findings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

I thought the same thing, that steel was bad, hence the reason I asked where dj_ender got the brass fittings. Then I read that article and was reassured I'm doing better than the OEM setup was. Please confirm/deny my findings!

Looking good dj_ender! Anxiously awaiting teardown/rebuild photos.
        You are correct.

Steel will deform the alum is about the only down side I can think of other than thermal expansion. The steel wont expand at the same rate and may induce leaks.

My mistake for misleading.
        Last edited by wildBill83; 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Regular steel and aluminum is OK.

Stainless steel and aluminum is NOT. But if you keep them oiled (WD40 or something like that), you could somewhat slow down the corrosion.
          A&P-IA

Comment

So recently I have begun to leak and burn oil, no tests have been done but everything points to the head gasket and most likely rings. I have had a slight rod knock for the last 8 months, and lately its getting louder. I have developed a leak from my oil pressure sensor, my dizzy seal, cam seal, and finally, the front main seal.....yeah, from everywhere. Also, my drivers side boot on the steering rack has torn, and I drip power steering fluid all the time, but the reservoir remains full. The front brakes are starting to grind, and they toss up dust like mad.

So the plan is a full tear down and rebuild of the engine, but on the semi cheap. There are no aftermarket components going into the engine, just OEM replacements. The schedule is planned to start this Thursday, and I hope to have it done in a week, 2 tops. I guess it all really depends on the machine shop's speed on the block hone. I plan this to be a semi-blog type of thread, to track and share progress with the forum. Who knows, maybe I will inspire someone to do their own rebuild, that's my intent.

So here is where I started, about 2 weeks ago. I got fed up with leaking oil from under my dizzy and cam seal, and decided to take action. And I also tore open the plenum to inspect for oil because I was spitting out blue clouds of smoke on take-off. Here's what I found:

Not very fun if you ask me, but it had to be done, I was tired of leaking oil everywhere. I got a FelPro valve gasket set, Moog cam seal, an OEM Honda dizzy seal, and then got to work. And here are some of those pics:

man how did you get your engine head, camshaft bay to look sooooo shinny ???!?!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by EsperHamid; 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EsperHamid View Post
              man how did you get your engine head, camshaft bay to look sooooo shinny ???!?!!!!!!!!!
              Lol, it was just wet with oil.

Well she's in and running, took her out for about 100 miles. I have a few kinks to figure out, but she runs great, looking forward to getting these first 1000 miles out of the way so I can open get up and have some fun. No leaks to be found, and I'm feeling pretty good about it.

I unfortunately only took one pic...sorry guys.

Comment

Little update, I have put on the first 150 miles, and I changed the oil and filter earlier today. She's running strong and so far no leaks. I will continue to post up until after the break period is over.

Comment

Little update, I have put on the first 150 miles, and I changed the oil and filter earlier today. She's running strong and so far no leaks. I will continue to post up until after the break period is over.
                  That is great news. Hope it continues to go well for you. Someday I would like to do a tear down myself on my F22. This thread gives me some motivation to attempt it someday.

Comment

Originally posted by dhill_cb7 View Post
                    That is great news. Hope it continues to go well for you. Someday I would like to do a tear down myself on my F22. This thread gives me some motivation to attempt it someday.
                    Yeah, me too. Thanks a lot. This rebuild was possible with the help I recieved from SOHC-FTW, he helped me with measurements and procedures. Without him, this would have taken longer, thanks LJ!

Comment

Yeah, me too. Thanks a lot. This rebuild was possible with the help I recieved from SOHC-FTW, he helped me with measurements and procedures. Without him, this would have taken longer, thanks LJ!
                      Not a problem bud, mine maybe a turd but doesn't mean i can't help a freind in need. You did a good job and the hands on work was all you .

PS: get some vht wrinkle black for that VC.

02 Crv
                      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                        Not a problem bud, mine maybe a turd but doesn't mean i can't help a freind in need. You did a good job and the hands on work was all you .

PS: get some vht wrinkle black for that VC.
                        Ill be replacing it when I find one in good shape.

Comment

Awesome, I'm happy things are working out for you. If you ever need a VC, there are plenty at the local JYs that are in pretty darn good shape.

Comment

Did you use the Bisi level 2 cam with this or just the stock cam?

I am way behind you. Also did you hone the cylinders or did you have a shop do them? If you did what type of hone did you use? I have been looking at the flew hone but not sure If there is an advantage to it. The flex hone cost $70 and the other can be had for half the price.

As always great work.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                              Did you use the Bisi level 2 cam with this or just the stock cam?

I am way behind you. Also did you hone the cylinders or did you have a shop do them? If you did what type of hone did you use? I have been looking at the flew hone but not sure If there is an advantage to it. The flex hone cost $70 and the other can be had for half the price.

As always great work.

steve
                              I'm using a stock A6 cam. And I paid a shop $34 to hone walls.

Comment

Oh damn. For $35 I'm blocking that off my list of stuff to worry about.

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X