New Head Gasket leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Head Gasket leaking

I installed a new head gasket in a 1990 CB7 F22a1, and it's leaking oil into the coolant. I'm not sure what I did wrong, I followed a diy tutorial explaining on the procedures that needed to be done. I exchanged the head for a re-man off ebay, cleaned the block up with a razor and torqued the head to spec and timed everything correctly. Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this problem, and my biggest question is can I re-use the new head gasket and head bolts I don't want to have to re-buy those things.

Thank you for the help!
    For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Did you check the head and block for warpage?

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
      Did you check the head and block for warpage?
      Head is a reman, I didn't check the block, I figured it would be okay. When I've read stories about head gaskets it's been the head warping, I've never heard of the block warping and I hope to god that's not the case.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

could be a cracked block, something I am trying not to accept on my car. In my case it is gas in the coolant not oil. bad luck

Comment

Blocks can have imperfections. You can reuse a head gasket if it's not fucked up. I'd put copper spray on it just in case. Check for trueness, and I bet you'll find your answer. And if you got ARP head studs you can reuse them I believe, otherwise don't reuse OEM ones, they're torque to yield.

Comment

ive reused head bolts but never head gaskets. how did you prep your block? i usually go over it with fine sand paper on a sanding block.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I made a mistake, I forgot I got oil in the coolant. The head gasket is sealed up and the car is running fine, No leaks.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

/)_-
                sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

congrats man,happy for u, but leaks usually show up as bad performance. so next time make sure you diagnose well else, you'd be wasting a lot of time and disappointment

here's a tip from observation, if u guys have high mile age engines:

1 - better to plug the PCV inlet on the IM as well as the breather hose on the air duct.

2 - insert a T plastic connector ( instead of the PCV valve ) on the valve cover and connect both breather hose and the T connector together, take it down to behind the engine similar to the A/C water hose.

3 - if you insist to reuse the blow by gases, you know the tutorial for the catch can but my advice is to connect it to the breather hose inlet on the air duct rather than the PCV inlet on the IM

4 - My advice, don't re-use the blow by gases. let it go.

Results:
                  your headgasket will last longer, your IM gasket set will last longer and of course your engine will last longer.

My 2 cents take it or leave it.
                  Last edited by EsperHamid; 11-04-2015, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BreckAConner View Post
                    I made a mistake, I forgot I got oil in the coolant. The head gasket is sealed up and the car is running fine, No leaks.
                    I'm glad it was that simple. I've actually done the same with a Chevy Iron Duke.

Comment

Esper, that sort of setup results in more blow by due to the gasses not being sucked about by the vacuum pressure from the intake manifold.

Honda didn't put it there for the lolz.

A filter on the inlet instead of getting it from the intake is okay but don't fuck with the other side except for maybe a catch can.
                      sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

no sir, this won't result in more blow by gases.

The pressure in the IM pulls gases so fast that it will create a vacuum inside the head itself, that's why a PCV is used to help regulate how much air should be pulled out from the engine, you need pressure to lift the ball inside the PCV. My earlier post omits the PCV all together.

I also specified to do this in high mileage engines. Also I see people blocking the EGR, the problem is not the EGR, it's the blow by gases filled with engine oil that clogs the EGR passages ... and a catch can doesn't give you a 100&#37; clean blow by gases.

Why take the risk. I have also canceled my FITV and the cooling lines and the IM temperature is cooler in summer time.

My car isn't driving perfectly but this is due to my blown head gasket, however I haven't seen any overheat when I did the above.

Besides what do you mean by a filter on the inlet ?! <=== The other breather hose sends air out of the crank case not in, I am sure of it. If you don't believe it, unhook it and see for yourself air will hit your fingers instead of sucking them.
                        Last edited by EsperHamid; 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
                          Esper, that sort of setup results in more blow by due to the gasses not being sucked about by the vacuum pressure from the intake manifold.

Honda didn't put it there for the lolz.

A filter on the inlet instead of getting it from the intake is okay but don't fuck with the other side except for maybe a catch can.
                          Nope.

Comment

Working...
                          X