zone axlesauto!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zone axlesauto!

I had to replace my drivers side axle.. I have a 90 ex 5speed.. so I went to autozone.. bought an axle, installed it and 1 week later it seperates from the joints.. the 3 bearings that go on the inner boot come out.. so I go get it warateed.. I install the new axle and the same shit happens to me on my way to work! Wtf!? When I was installing it I kinda looked like the axle was a bit short.. has anyone else had this problem with autozone axles?

Where do I go get a good axle?
    Last edited by Luis; 09-09-2010, 09:57 PM.

yeah Autozone axles are absolute crap. I got some EMPI axles for my car and they've been good for about 50k miles so far. They're NEW not remans btw.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I have an autozone reman on my car right now... acutally, on both sides. Passenger side has lasted for about 5 years (2 years not driven, though...) Driver's side hasn't been driven on yet. I hope I have better luck!

NAPA remanufactured axles are probably the best around. I had one last with heavy abuse for about 6 years.

Comment

I have a brand new ( not remnaufactured ) napa axle on my integra. No problems everything went together smoothly.

Comment

i have a set (L&R) on my accord. both have been to the track many times usually doing 10+ runs. held up so far. but when i put my PS in it vibrated like hell for a week. lol
          COUPE K24

Comment

I wonder if my NAPA part was new, and not remanufactured... it was installed by a shop, before I knew anything about my car, so it's possible.

Remanufactured axles are a tossup... they can be fine, or they can be crap. Depends on who does it, and the condition of the axles when they come in. Places like Autozone, and most major chains, go for the cheapest parts and labor they can get... which doesn't always result in the best quality. Sometimes they're good... sometimes, they're broken before you even install them.

Comment

I'm just wondering why they apear to be so short? I swear its like 3/8 of an inch short.. luckaly I was near my job when the 2nd axle gave out.. gonna try 2 get one from napa and hope I have better luck

Comment

Its possible that they gave you an axle for an automatic, and
                is short if you have a 5spd. Or the other way around. If your
                car is 5spd, and they give you an axle from an auto car. I don't
                think it may line up properly.

:Back In Business...

Comment

Originally posted by RyderzUnlimited View Post
                  Its possible that they gave you an axle for an automatic, and
                  is short if you have a 5spd. Or the other way around. If your
                  car is 5spd, and they give you an axle from an auto car. I don't
                  think it may line up properly.
                  I kno! But I clearly told the 3 ppl I spoke to that it was a 5speed and that it was the driver side

Comment

On average, Autozone employees aren't very smart...

It's also possible that an automatic axle was stuffed into a box marked manual. Maybe some tard bought the wrong one, discovered that it was too short, bought the correct one, and returned the auto one in the manual box... which, of course, was put right back on the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      On average, Autozone employees aren't very smart...

It's also possible that an automatic axle was stuffed into a box marked manual. Maybe some tard bought the wrong one, discovered that it was too short, bought the correct one, and returned the auto one in the manual box... which, of course, was put right back on the shelf.
                      Yea its possible.. but 2 axles? Maaaaan.. talk abt having bad luck.. to make matters worse there isn't a NAPA around my job.. they r all 15 miles + away from here.. so I'm gonna have to have someone pick me up after work and see if they can drive me to a NAPA tomorrow.. then ima beg for them to take me to work on my day off (tomorrow) so I can install this shit!.. all I want is to just get a good axle..

Should I buy a new or rebuilt axle from NAPA?

Comment

fuck autozone. There is a reason they warranty that shit for lifetime... to keep your ass in the store.

Comment

True. Replacing an axle 3 times probably STILL makes them a profit... and they can sell you lots of other stuff each time you go in!

Comment

Just FYI, the DRIVER's side axle is a long one piece on the autos and the 5 speeds have a short axle with an intermediate shaft.

Next time you go in, ask them to pull both driver and passenger axles. The driver's side is different where it attaches to the half-shaft.

Both auto and standard share the passenger's side axle.

Hope that helps.

Also, check your engine mounts, a torn rear mount can cause the engine to cock towards the passengers side.
                            Last edited by djcaz_aom; 09-10-2010, 02:56 PM.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                              Just FYI, the DRIVER's side axle is a long one piece on the autos and the 5 speeds have a short axle with an intermediate shaft.

Next time you go in, ask them to pull both driver and passenger axles. The driver's side is different where it attaches to the half-shaft.

Both auto and standard share the passenger's side axle.

Hope that helps.

Also, check your engine mounts, a torn rear mount can cause the engine to cock towards the passengers side.
                              Yea I kno it goes into the half shaft... I'm gonna hit up a place called "certified" in hollywood.. its like 30min away frm my job on the bus so ima go get it.. price is 45 bucks.. I have heard from a lot of ppl and they recomend buying parts from them.. I'll post an update by 5 at the latest today

:::EDIT::: I just changed that rear mount no more than 3k miles ago.. and I don't abuse the car so I doubt its fucked up

Comment

Working...
                              X