Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

best f22 to put build up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best f22 to put build up?

i was wondering which f22 is better to build. I want to build an all motor f22 but im not sure which one should i use. I have a f22a1 right now, so i was thinking about getting the a6 but then i thought i might as well get a vtec f22 if im gonna stay with the f series n do a swap.
    what do u guys think? which one is the best? and which f22 can handle boost better?
    1992 Honda Accord Lx
    [/I][/I][/I]

Since you seem to be talking about the f22ax:

They're all the same with minor differences. Since the things you need to do to properly build that motor up involve replacing those differences, it doesn't matter which one you start with.

Comment

The F22A blocks are all identical. The F22A head castings are all identical. The only parts that are different between the F22A1, F22A4, and F22A6 are bolt-on parts (the F22A6's intake manifold and camshaft being the most signifcant upgrades, along with the ECU that is programmed to use those things)

The SOHC VTEC F engines are actually a considerable downgrade if you're looking for a platform to modify for performance. The valve angle and port design is inferior to the F22A.

If you have an F22A1, and you want to make some real power with it... here's my suggestion:

Get a Bisimoto header. $630, and a lengthy waiting period... but the gains from that single part alone will be greater than a SOHC VTEC swap.

Get a Bisimoto camshaft. Stage 1 or 2 would be wise. 2 requires some valvetrain upgrades.

Get some headwork done to your F22A head (or, probably better... get a spare head, they're cheap, and have that worked)

Get an H23 intake manifold and throttle body.

Upgrading the bottom end would be smart, but if you want to go the cheap route, at least replace your rod bolts with ARP bolts. It will rev more safely with those.

A 3" short ram intake with a quality air filter (AEM or K&N), and a 2.5" exhaust would also be very smart.

Finally, once all that is on... a P06 ECU, tuned on a dyno...

That setup would very likely get you near, possibly over, 200whp if your bottom end is healthy.

If you're looking to boost... the F22A is the cheapest and easiest option. ANY F series motor will give you a fair amount of power with turbo... They'll all get you a little over 200whp before you need to worry about reliability (assuming you're using the correct parts, you tuned it properly, and your motor was healthy to begin with)

Comment

yea ive seen the bisimoto header and ive been meaning to find out what process do i have to go through to get one
        1992 Honda Accord Lx
        [/I][/I][/I]

Comment

Check out the Bisimoto Member Shop on this site. That will give you plenty of info.

Comment

a6 intake has IAB's
            a6 also has a windage tray, a1 does not
            but if you don't have an a6 then you can get those parts at a jy
            ____

Comment

how much boost can a f22a4 hold up to?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Upgrading the bottom end would be smart, but if you want to go the cheap route, at least replace your rod bolts with ARP bolts. It will rev more safely with those.
                All sorts of great info in this thread!

I don't mean to thread jack, but since you brought up boost is there any other things in the bottom end that are important to upgrade for boost? Possibly things that often break/weak/bad design?

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Originally posted by russell707 View Post
                  how much boost can a f22a4 hold up to?
                  There's not a magic number. It all depends on your motor's health, your turbo parts (quality), your tune, etc.

1999 BMW M3
                  2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                  2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                  2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post
                    All sorts of great info in this thread!

I don't mean to thread jack, but since you brought up boost is there any other things in the bottom end that are important to upgrade for boost? Possibly things that often break/weak/bad design?
                    The weakest part of a stock-block F22A when boosted is the piston ringlands... so running forged pistons would be best. With a reasonably low boost setup, using a properly sized turbo, tuned very well... and carefully maintained, not abused... such a motor SHOULD last quite a while.
                    I've known many quality builds to last a couple years before the ringlands went... but regardless of how well it's put together, it will eventually break.

russell707, this thread is over a year old, and the original topic really doesn't have much to do with your question. In the future, if you have a question that isn't DIRECTLY related to the topic of an old thread, please just start a new thread of your own.

Comment

Wow I didn't even realize how old this thread is

Do you have any suggestions as far as a brand of forged pistons? Something affordable (not cheap) would be ideal.

Member's Ride Thread

I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

I've never dealt with any directly, but I'd probably go with Arias pistons from Bisimoto... mainly because I feel that if Bisimoto trusts a brand enough to sell them (and I assume run them in their project cars), then the quality is top notch. The pricing is acceptable, and I like to support companies that cater to our platform... because there aren't many of them left!

Comment

Well I will definitely talk to Bisimoto and pick their brain about pistons as well.

Thanks for the info Deeve, I really appreciate it.

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Didn't the A6 also all come with an oil cooler infront of the oil filter?

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                              Didn't the A6 also all come with an oil cooler infront of the oil filter?
                              certain ones my coupe 93 ex manual did not have one but my wagon 93 ex auto did have one
                              ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Working...
                              X