CV axle replacement: auto tranny fluid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV axle replacement: auto tranny fluid question

Upon doing some searching, I see members recommending honda genuine auto tranny fluid.

I am unable to get the fluid before my cv axle is being replaced. The dealerships close at noon, it is now 2pm, and the axle is being changed tomorrow.

My question is what other transmission fluids can i use in my transmission to make up for the fluid that will be lost upon replacing the axle?

My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Thread

Originally posted by rob_is_legend View Post
    Upon doing some searching, I see members recommending honda genuine auto tranny fluid.

I am unable to get the fluid before my cv axle is being replaced. The dealerships close at noon, it is now 2pm, and the axle is being changed tomorrow.

My question is what other transmission fluids can i use in my transmission to make up for the fluid that will be lost upon replacing the axle?
    You will not lose any fluid during an axle change so you have nothing to worry about immediately. I do recommend that you change the fluid soon if it hasn't been changed in a long time. The best way to do this is drain & refill ~3qts and drive 100ish miles, drain&refill again, drive 100ish miles, drain&refill again. You'll need 9 quarts to do this properly. And yes, you will want to use genuine Honda ATF.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I've never done a replacement myself, but after talking in person to a very close friend of mine who's owned 8 cb7's, and another friend who works at a local performance shop, they both told me I would need transmission fluid because some would leak out upon pulling the axle out of the transmission.

Comment

ive replaced 2 axles on my CB. both times the fluid didnt leak out. but then again it was a 5spd. i might leak out a TAD bit. a few drops. but nothing to worry your tiny little head about.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
          ive replaced 2 axles on my CB. both times the fluid didnt leak out. but then again it was a 5spd. i might leak out a TAD bit. a few drops. but nothing to worry your tiny little head about.

haha I love the way you typed that. Thanks for your input. Either way, I am now prepared for anything. Ill make sure to post upon success of the replacement. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

haha I love the way you typed that. Thanks for your input. Either way, I am now prepared for anything. Ill make sure to post upon success of the replacement. Thanks again everyone.
            lol.

aight man. let us know how it goes

Comment

Fluid WILL come out of an autotragic. And I wouldnt recommend a flush like described before. You are asking for transmission failure soon after. So your best bet, is to just wait it out until the honda parts is open. But I wouldnt start flushing it. I have heard many stories of failure from many members on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
                Fluid WILL come out of an autotragic. And I wouldnt recommend a flush like described before. You are asking for transmission failure soon after. So your best bet, is to just wait it out until the honda parts is open. But I wouldnt start flushing it. I have heard many stories of failure from many members on here.
                I used to have an auto in my cb, my brother had a 94 auto, a friend had a 91 auto, I replaced cv axles in all three and none of them ever leaked tranny fluid out (yes they were all properly filled).

I also flushed my 180k mile tranny, flushing out some really nasty looking fluid, and had no problems at all with it afterwards and I drove it hard every day. After being on the forum here regularly for about 4 years, I have yet to see a post about an auto tranny failing after a PROPER flush with Honds ATF. I have read about them failing after Midas flushes with Honda "compatible" fluid though.

I really don't understand why so many people are scared of flushing their autos (cleans out crud causing said crud to dislodge and block passages, also cleans crud around seals creating leaks) yeah, yeah, whatever, haven't seen it on my own car and haven't read about it on here.
                My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Well the replacement was successful and it didn't leak any tranny fluid. Rides just fine now.

Comment

Well the replacement was successful and it didn't leak any tranny fluid. Rides just fine now.
                    happy for ya man

Comment

Mine always pisses tranny fluid everytime I take an axle off. Hmmmm.....

Comment

i was told the passenger side will leak fluid but not the drivers side, is this true

Comment

about a year ago I replaced both of my axles, no fluid came what so ever, i have the auto tranny. Just make sure you push all the way in the axle during installation or fluid will leak when you start driving!

Comment

Originally posted by 91hondaaccordlx View Post
                            i was told the passenger side will leak fluid but not the drivers side, is this true
                            No, see above, you were told wrong.
                            My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                              You will not lose any fluid during an axle change so you have nothing to worry about immediately. I do recommend that you change the fluid soon if it hasn't been changed in a long time. The best way to do this is drain & refill ~3qts and drive 100ish miles, drain&refill again, drive 100ish miles, drain&refill again. You'll need 9 quarts to do this properly. And yes, you will want to use genuine Honda ATF.

I agree sticking with Honda ATF

I agree the only way to flush is to drain and refil then use for a short period and repeat. You do this since you will never completely drain the old fluid when released.

By repeating the process your dilluting any remaining old fluid so much that it all becomes essentially new fluid after 3 changes in a shorter period than recommended.

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
                              I dont see any problem with the above method of flushing overdue ATF in the tranny.
                              Rides:

Accord
                              92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                              96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                              88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                              95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                              91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Working...
                              X