ENG : Install OEM Block Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
    To answer your question simply it knocks about 25-35% of the time off.

The coldest it’s been here in SW Missouri so far this winter is 12* and it worked just fine then as well.

I would like to buy an infrared laser and get a little technical with it. Also I want to time the length it takes to idle down with the block heater vs. without it. However the temp outside will always be a variable.
    It doesnt get super cold in NC, I was just interested in the warm-up time. Might be worth it for the money.
    -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
    -1993 Accord EX SOLD
    -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
    -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

^^^If it doesnt get very cold it should reduce warm up time even more.

It was 16* last night and my water temp this morning was 82* at the cap.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
        ^^^If it doesnt get very cold it should reduce warm up time even more.

It was 16* last night and my water temp this morning was 82* at the cap.
        extreme cold here is in the teens at night. on my h22 I'm not running fitv so it takes a while to warm up. and for less than $100 it might be something i look into soon.
        -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
        -1993 Accord EX SOLD
        -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
        -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

i would get one myself. only problem is there is no place for me to plug it in as i live in an apt
          visit vgruk

Comment

I'm really considering getting a block heater as the Accord is getting old and I want it to last.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

It’s a relief hearing the way it runs in the morning compared to previously. Your not wondering for the first 30 seconds if something bad is going to happen.

It’s a good way to preserve an older engine in the winter time. Plus you can start defrosting your windows and getting the inside warm quicker. For $75 its a big plus any way you look at it.

We had a 64 Ford Galaxy with the 390FE that broke a rod one morning in the extreme cold.
              Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting those hood comparison pics w/ the snow, that's really interesting to see. 82* @ the cap is not bad at all, I thought it'd be around 60*. I think I will def. be doing this soon.

Comment

You’re very welcome!

I plugged it into my wall inside my house before installing it and went to pick it up a few mins later and burnt my fingertips. So it gets surprisingly hot.

However I don’t think it gets that hot being in the block and with coolant on the heating element. I’ve reached up and felt the wires going into it and they were about the ambient air temperature.

I’m not hyping this thing up or anything but I’ll swear I’m being honest when I say this. You can hear and slightly feel the coolant system gurgle in the upper hose! I shit you not. And what I think that’s doing is maybe slowly circulating the coolant through the system and if that’s the case it’s no wonder why it works so well.

Comment

^ that would make sense since heat rises I really really want one. just no place to plug it in! that and i dont want a bunch of drunk kids walking around my car. i dont even think the apt would allow it anyway
                    visit vgruk

Comment

Dont want to get sued over someone tripping over an extension cord either.

Comment

Whoa, I didn't realize OEM-Honda block heaters were still available from parts dealers. Thank you for this!
                        Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
                        2005 Acura TSX 6MT
                        2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

You are very welcome!

Me either until a thread popped up a few months ago "What’s this plug on the back of my block by my oil filter".

One member knew it was an aftermarket block heater and another knew that OEM ones were listed on Majestic but didn’t know if they were still available. I got them on the phone and sure enough, they still make them!

Comment

well i know what my next investment is!
                            glad i saw this, my car hates ideling in the cold

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

You wont be sorry!

Comment

Well Ryan, I guess I will snap some pics of the after installation for this DIY. Since it is so simple and that's the only thing I can provide being as I no longer possess the original pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X