flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
    whatever my car is a daily driver, and it does just fine, ive had to do nothing special.

and i think me and MRX have proved that "lighter isnt always better" bullshit wrong.
    calm down.....its differant with every application.....i red a entire article somewere were they ran a 8 pounder and a stock and a middle 11-15 pound flywheel and middle was the best...if u are running a 8 pounder and feel no differance than u suck.....becuase i have driven with both and theres a huge differance....no need to break a sweat to TRY ....yes try to prove a point...sheesh.
    [deevergote]" It's not the car that makes the ricer... it's the ricer that ruins the car!"

Comment

i guess, reading articles and having dynos(me and MRxs) is 2 different things.

also if they did the test on a B series that is a huge difference.

just my 2 cents.
      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I noticed differences when I installed mine...when going up steep hills I now have to downshift lower than I would before...if your at a stop-go-stop, once you let off the clutch the car has more of a jump to it, kinda like a it has a higher idle speed...but it also lets the engine revv like crazy in the upper RPMs...when it was a daily driver, I had no problems driving it every day after I got used to it.

Jay
        Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

8.5 lb flywheel best mod ever.

Comment

8.5 lb flywheel best mod ever.
            well if u cant feel a differance.......like you stated earlier than why is it the best mod ever?......
            [deevergote]" It's not the car that makes the ricer... it's the ricer that ruins the car!"

Comment

well lets put it this way....some people like it some dont...with mine i had troubles going up hill and starting from a stop...but i had a 7.5....that was way to light imo for the street.....11 is what i like but hey every app. is differant.

Comment

i guess, reading articles and having dynos(me and MRxs) is 2 different things.

also if they did the test on a B series that is a huge difference.

just my 2 cents.
                WTF does a dyno have to do with a flywheel? Drivability and revving below the powerband when shiffting are the issues of concern... Drivability is an opinion, and MRX is the only firsthand account I have seen of the lightweight wheel working well with turbo. Even he doesn't have an accurate comparison, which makes it little more than his opinion there as well.

Of course, you ARE the expert on such things, so I'll shut my hole.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  WTF does a dyno have to do with a flywheel? Drivability and revving below the powerband when shiffting are the issues of concern... Drivability is an opinion, and MRX is the only firsthand account I have seen of the lightweight wheel working well with turbo. Even he doesn't have an accurate comparison, which makes it little more than his opinion there as well.

true......my hole is now shut on this subject as well. not worth arguing over something as opinionative as this subject.

Comment

From what "everyone sais" stock is better than 8.5 lb all you guys have seen stock dynos on h22s. compare that to mine with my 8.5...

but o wells, gona go for a bike ride.

what i ment by you cant notice a diff is by driveability compared to stock, you can definatly feel the improvements. but then again there is alot of people who dont know how to drive stick, so ill shut my hole now too.

Comment

this reminds me that i have to let u drive my car deeve.... while i tighten up those drivebelts of yours

Centre PA SCCA

Comment

im just trying to let people know that the 8.5 fidanza is not as bad as what all the "experts" make them out to be. from some one who drives one daily IN a pretty damn mountainy area.

Why does a dyno matter? cause alot of "people" say you loose TQ with a lightflywheel, looks like i got around what stock flywheel Tq is, so...
                        Last edited by phatdoughnut; 06-25-2005, 08:16 PM.

Comment

you def wont lose torque with a lightweight flywheel.....whatever works for you bro....some like some dont i didnt like the 7.5 pounder i had....why becuase it was way toi light for my application.........but i wouldnt mind an 11 pounder.

Comment

For a lightened flywheel, 11lb is supposedly best for turbo since it doesn't allow the RPM to drop too far too quickly. 7lb or whatever (7 is the lightest I've seen advertised for our cars) is best for NA, but usually for road racing where much shifting is needed. Such a light wheel is not necessarily best for drag racing, though with a good driver it probably doesn't matter.

I don't see how the wheel will make you lose torque, since the torque made by the motor is used to spin the wheel. A lighter wheel would need less torque from the motor, and probably allow a bit more to go to the wheels. I have yet to see a significant report showing that wheel torque gain to be noticable though. The only thing the lightweight wheel will do is allow the RPM to drop below the powerband even in an NA motor, making for boggy acceleration after shifting. That all depends on how good of a driver you are, what sort of shift setup you have (smooth vs rough, stock vs short, clutch component condition), and where you shift. Sure, if you rev to 4500 before each shift, you'll still drop down to a reasonable range. If you shift at 3000, it may be sluggish.

Opinions are fine, but there are no hard facts here to support ANY argument.

I'm not arguing for or against lightweight flywheels... just using logic to describe characteristics that may or may not be desirable, and the situations in which they are relavent.

I, for one, shift around 3000/3200 in my daily driving, unless I'm trying to waste gas and have fun with my motor. If I lived in a more mountainous area, I think I would shift a little higher, since the low RPM that the stock setup would put me in from 3000 would certainly make things a little boggy.

Comment

when i got my h22 i had a 8lb flywheel installed.. i was still a beginner stick driver and i was able to drive it..only time i stall is when im not paying attention or im still groggy from waking up.. plus i love how fast my car picks up.. even if i have a lousey launch, my car picks up fast..so dont believe those people who say "its really hard to drive a car with a light flywheel" they prolly just dont know how to drive stick.. PERIOD!

Comment

Anyone have the Findaza flywheel with a racing clutch beyond stage 3?

Comment

Working...
                                X