Intermittent vtec engagement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent vtec engagement

So the last couple days, i've been noticing that mainly in 2nd and 3rd gear, vtec engagement has been very sporadic, and doesn't always work properly.

most of the time, 2nd gear vtec engages late, and then kicks in and out throughout the RPMs. I notice the same thing in 3rd and 4th, but only occasionally. I noticed exactly the same thing the couple of times i tried the motor on nitrous. Like it will bog, then pick up, bog, then pick up again.

My basic setup:
    JDM H22a w/ F22 tranny
    stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump & Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (40psi @ 18" vacuum)
    I/H/E
    Chipped P28 (Phearable.net) no knock sensor, no speed limiter, 5200rpm vtec engagement.
    Vtec Pressure switch bypass (at the ecu, wiring trick)

It really makes no sense to me, and is a little confusing. The oil is full, so that's not it. I figure do i maybe have not enough oil pressure? I have an oil pressure gauge but it's not currently hooked up, i have to rewire it, so i'm not sure if that the problem or not. If i am lacking oil pressure, what would generally cause that?
    The car does blow some smoke under load @ high RPMs (no idea why since this motor SUPPOSEDLY only has ~45,000 miles on it )

I also recently put in a quart of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer in, 1/4 of the oil as per directions. anyone know if this would not be good for the h22?

Overall, just really irritating, and i need somewhere to start troubleshooting this.
    The CB7 Timeline

check the dents in the oil pan. even fairly small ones can cause an oil pressure problem.

oh, and pretty much all H22's (possibly all Honda engines) blow a little smoke at high RPM's. start to worry if it blows it at lower RPM's

Comment

i'm pretty sure the oil pan is dented, but it wouldnt be any more dented lately than it has been before, and this problem only started happening lately...
      either way i'll check it out. where's the best place to get a new oil pan at?
      The CB7 Timeline

Comment

junk yard.
        Originally posted by jboyce
        i f'd this girl last night i hadnt seen in a while...used to be cute, but when i had her naked lying on my bed i noticed she had gained alot of weight and looked like a manatee rolling around on my bed.

Comment

So, WHILE in vtec, it disengages and engages????

That could be a problem with your solenoid.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

yes, while in vtec (5200-8000 rpm), in engages and disengages

i also lately noticed that the tach, at ~7500rpms, jumps around, like right up to 8000rpms
            The CB7 Timeline

Comment

or you could have a bad speed sensor. vtec only works within a certain speed too. if your speed sensor tells the ECU you're at 0mph the vtec will disengage. just a thought.
              1cor10:31
              - 92 LX coupe
              - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordexpower

I also recently put in a quart of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer in, 1/4 of the oil as per directions. anyone know if this would not be good for the h22?
                lucas will destroy honda engines. It made my oil pump go bad in my last CB7. It's way too thick for the tight tolerances honda uses for their engines. Last time I saw I think they made an oil stabilizer specialy designed for imports. Suppossed to be not as thick.

Comment

I'm getting that a LOT on my 97 Lude. As SOON as I hit VTEC, the RPM's go crazy, jumping from 5200 to like 6000--->6500>7000>and it will just keep going till I shift sometimes past redline, even though I don't redline the RPM's just jump probably between 500 RPM's... I'm not sure what causes it either...

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                    or you could have a bad speed sensor. vtec only works within a certain speed too. if your speed sensor tells the ECU you're at 0mph the vtec will disengage. just a thought.
                    any idea what speed it engages/disengages at stock?

either way this is supposed to be removed with the chipped p28 i got.
                    The CB7 Timeline

Comment

this is still acting up and i'm not sure what could cause it. i don't think it's oil pressure, but i'm not sure. The tach thing makes me think it's electrical.
                      the tach just jumps wildly during vtec.
                      The CB7 Timeline

Comment

timmy makes a good point, try to replace the vss.

Comment

The VTEC at 0mph only works if you have it checked on your map. Its pointless to leave it at 0mph anyway unless your lazy to replace the VSS. The bouncing could be ignitor but depends on how crazy its getting. Another thing your ground could be somewhat loose and crap and not getting a good connection.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i believe stock ecu, you have to go past 20 mph in order for vtec to engage. engine temperature also is involved in vtec engagement.
                            Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by blackcb7
                              i believe stock ecu, you have to go past 20 mph in order for vtec to engage. engine temperature also is involved in vtec engagement.
                              Yep I think it was 10mph though. Another thing vtec does not work during neutral and if your oil level is low.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X