h22 stalling when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22 stalling when cold

i have a jdm h22 with skunk2 proseries IM, and every morning when i start the car, it won't idle at all... just stall. does this till it warms up, then it purrs 100%. any ideas? i'm stumped.
    My Rides:

My H22 w/S2 throttle body will do that here when the temperature is around or below freezing since I don't have a FITV (fast idle valve) anymore. At that temp, a cold engine needs more air to idle. I just hold the gas down a tiny bit when I start, and for maybe 20 seconds after starting, and the idle control valve can work things from that point. It was only that cold for a handful of days this winter here in Virginia, but I see you're in Canada.

You have to make sure your idle is set properly before you can do any kind of troubleshooting. I.E., Let the motor warm up until the cooling fan comes on, turn the motor off, disconnect the idle control valve from the front of the intake manifold plenum, start the car holding the gas down at first to keep from stalling, make sure blower, headlights, cooling fan, etc. are off,then turn the screw valve on the throttle body to set the idle (I looked this up in the FSM), to 550 +/- 50 rpm. (dash gauge usually reads a little higher than actual, btw)
    I'd also make sure your idle control valve is clean.

Good Luck.

Racecars aren't supposed to idle, haha.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
    After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
    Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
    PM me and get it done right!

Comment

550?!? dont you mean 750 dash wise?

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
      1992 Accord EX Coupe
      My FS Thread
      Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Not with the engine warm and the idle air control valve disconnected, it should be 500-600 for the F22 and H22 and H23. Then turn the car off, reconnect the IAC valve connector, restart the engine and run for one minute before checking rpm...it should be 700 +/- 50 rpm. Which is where it should be at idle when warm normally if it's set right.
        I'm getting this straight from the Honda Prelude Factory Service Manual.
        Thanks for asking, tho, or I would've missed adding these steps.

Comment

ok, i set the idle to 550 with the iacv disconnected, and connected it stays at the low idle... so there's something up with the iacv i would assume. i cleaned it out really well, bled the coolant through it and everything. switched the hoses on the IM to make sure it wasn't hooked up backwards.

do these go bad (other than cleaning them out) and can an f22 iacv be used on the h22? the plug is the same, and the holes line up to mount it to the IM... only difference is how the coolant hoses are run but that's no problem.
          My Rides:

Comment

The F22A6 has the same upper plenum as the H23, and that one works, tho it looks different than the H22 one. The one you have is probably interchangeable. That's what I'd try if it looks like it lines up. I can look up the test procedure for the IACV if you like, but if the idle's no different whether it's plugged in or not, it's definitely not working right. You can test for voltage in the plug with the key on, I think it may be a 5V system instead of 12V.

Comment

I tried so many things to adjust my idle (I have the euro-r intake mani). The shitty p13 just doesnt cut it. You can try to mess with it every now and then or just get a p28 and tune it with something.
              Originally posted by deevergote
              ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
              Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
              Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
              04 WRX stg 2 sedan
              Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

Comment

Working...
              X