power steering frozen??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power steering frozen??

has anyone heard of power steering fluid freezing? when I fire my car up in the morning, the P/S pump barely turns and the belt screams bloody murder. The power steering is not working, until everything warms up and it gradually comes in and works 100%.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is there some sort of P/S fluid that i should use to prevent freezing?

Are all of those myths about honda power steering fluid true about the seals leaking if you use something different?
    My Rides:

Yeah. You have to use ps fluid specifically for honda. Advanced has that Coastal p/s fluid specifically for hondas for about $5. Hmm maybe the pulley or p/s pump itself is siezing? Or the belt might be worn or loose. Check the tension?

Comment

X2, only use honda P/S fluid.
      The bearings might be stuffed causing the pump to lock up.
      Take the belt off and see if you easily turn it by hand. If not rebuild it or throw in another pump.
      Does your P/S fluid level drop at all, if so what have you been topping it up with?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Is the belt tight enough? In freezing conditions the belt might be lacking in grip due to the rubber surface being cold / hard, and if the belt were a bit loose it might slip until the friction warmed it up...?
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

Sounds like the belt is too cold to grip the p/s pump pully. The belt is prolly shot man

Comment

Ya in the winter my P/S was always stiff and whiney, after a minute of running it was fine. To be safe flush it with the good Honda stuff. Flushin the system out sucks but then you know whats all in there.

GOT F?

Comment

I think your pump is toast. do what the other people said though. take the belt off and try and turn it by hand, if it doesn't move then its your pump.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
              X