Some basic suspension checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some basic suspension checks

I see alot of threads, reguarding suspension components.
    Namely - Balljoints, tierods and upper control arm faults.

These Items should be inspected 6 monthly, 12 monthly at the most.
    I've seen threads where the OP has said "My upper ball joint broke, now my wheel has like 50 degrees positive camber" - Thats very scary, especially if it happens on the freeway.

Even driving a car w/o knowing the condition of the suspension components can be fatal, and it only takes a few minutes to check.
    This thread is like a DIY to some basic suspension checks you can do yourself.

Upper and lower ball joints:
    To check the balljoints, you need to jack the car up (so the wheels are off the ground), Grasp the wheel at the top and bottom and wiggle it back and forth.
    If the balljoints are bad you will feel play as you wiggle the wheel. Also you want to check if the boots are split.

Tie-rods:
    To check the Tie-rods, you need to jack the car up (so the wheels are off the ground), Grasp the wheel at the left and right plane, and wiggle it back and forth.
    If the Tie-rods are bad you will feel play as you wiggle the wheel. Also you want to check if the boots are split.

Wheel bearings:
    Usually first noticed by a humming noise from around one of the wheels when driving.
    To check the wheel bearings, you will need to jack the car up (so the wheels are off the ground)
    For the front wheels - Place one hand on the upper control arm and spin the wheel with the other hand.
    For the rear wheels - Place one hand on the upper control arm, or on the lower control arm and spin the wheel with the other hand.
    If the wheel bearing is bad - you will feel a "rough" vibration through your hand on the control arm.
    Also you can often hear a rumbling sound coming from the hub.
    Last edited by mndude07; 04-29-2011, 03:16 AM.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Just want to elaborate on checking balljoints. Sometimes 1mm of play (the front lbjs come to mind) can be enough to unseat the ride over certain bumps and such. Its a good idea to try and look for movement with a screwdriver or something to give you leverage while you look and feel for play. Also, a rubber mallet can help find play as well in suspension components.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland View Post
      Just want to elaborate on checking balljoints. Sometimes 1mm of play (the front lbjs come to mind) can be enough to unseat the ride over certain bumps and such. Its a good idea to try and look for movement with a screwdriver or something to give you leverage while you look and feel for play. Also, a rubber mallet can help find play as well in suspension components.
      the right way is with a dial indicator on the balljoint and pry bar for leverage

i am doing lbj's on friday for a acura legend...joy.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

working around the house most of us have a screw driver only at our disposal.

Comment

We have had ALOT of debate over here on using prybars to check for play (specifically bottom balljoints).
          Oem honda balljoints DO have some degree of play (because they sit in a nylon cup which allows some form of deformation), you cannot feel it by hand, but you can when using a bar.

It's not a huge issue, just that the small amount of play can be mistaken for a bad joint, then you install a new one and it has the same result.
          Just note: This is only ever any issue when using a bar - Just something to double check before condeming it

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Colin, my LBJ snapped off while I was cruising. Funny thing is, I sent the car for a routine service 2 days prior, and did a whole undercarriage check, checked my brakes and such. All was good, no free play and such.

Cruising at around 100-110km/h, and this happened:

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
            Honda Accord Euro-R
            Honda Odyssey Absolute
            Honda City I-DSi
            Honda Stream

Comment

Interesting, It looks like it has snapped, not popped out correct?
              It could be due to overtightening of the nut, Hard to say.
              Last edited by evil_demon_01; 11-06-2008, 04:02 AM.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

wow looks like your brake line saved you!!!

no freeplay in the balljoint according to whom? your mechanic? yeah see from my experiences freeplay according to a mechanic could mean it has 2-3mm of play easy

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                  Interesting, It looks like it has snapped, not popped out correct?
                  It could be due to overtightening of the nut, Hard to say.
                  It was sheared off. the threaded part remained on the lower arm. The thread was okay, we took it out nicely, infact.

no freeplay in the balljoint according to whom? your mechanic? yeah see from my experiences freeplay according to a mechanic could mean it has 2-3mm of play easy
                  My foreman, and myself
                  Last edited by blizzard335; 11-06-2008, 04:04 AM.

Links to other rides:
                  Honda Accord Euro-R
                  Honda Odyssey Absolute
                  Honda City I-DSi
                  Honda Stream

Comment

If I feel more than 1mm at the wheel by hand I fail them.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

is there a definite way of determining this? I mean, by using an apparatus or something

I mean, I did the method you described, and it was tight, according to my foreman. And no 'loose' sounds or klunking.

Links to other rides:
                      Honda Accord Euro-R
                      Honda Odyssey Absolute
                      Honda City I-DSi
                      Honda Stream

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335 View Post
                        is there a definite way of determining this? I mean, by using an apparatus or something

I mean, I did the method you described, and it was tight, according to my foreman. And no 'loose' sounds or klunking.
                        About 2mm or less you won't actually hear, but you will feel.
                        The definate way to determine this, is that you can usually feel "play"
                        Otherwise for example: With the outer tierod you can watch it when you wiggle the wheel.
                        If it has play you will be able to see the tierod stay still, while the steering knuckle moves - Note this gets harder to see if the play is smaller.
                        Anything above 1.5mm is very obvious, 1mm and below gets harder to pick up on (as to which joint has play)
                        I.e you may feel play when wiggling the wheel at the top and bottom, but you still need to look at the top and bottom balljoint to see which one has the play.
                        Same with the steering inner and outer tierods.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

I agree.

Comment

Freeplay is different in all cars. Some you can check when the cars on the ground. Some you have to check while it's in the air. Some you have to check while its in the air with something supporting the wheel with a light load.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2620526 190E Mercedes Benz
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3065882 Accord Under major Repairs

Comment

Originally posted by Chirs190E16v View Post
                              Freeplay is different in all cars. Some you can check when the cars on the ground. Some you have to check while it's in the air. Some you have to check while its in the air with something supporting the wheel with a light load.
                              exactly...
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X