Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

High-pitched whistle w/ acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    Pics?

Sounds like it's a cobbled-together setup. Very likely the cause of the whistle.
    Also, those Spectre filters are awful. It would be wise to replace it with one from AEM, K&N, or Apexi.
    That. AEM or K&N both have Dryflow filters, which are pretty much the best out there. A little pricey, but they are the best, and are cake to clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
      That. AEM or K&N both have Dryflow filters, which are pretty much the best out there. A little pricey, but they are the best, and are cake to clean.
      I don't see any real difference in quality between this filter and a K&N, though it's much better than any eBay junk I've seen. Hard to imagine changing filters would change that sound specifically.
      The intake pipe I used is a solid piece firmly tightened and sealed with to the oem intake tube and to the filter.

RIP my last two CB7s.
      New rides:
      '82 Volvo 245 drift project
      '87 Volvo 244 daily
      Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Transmission bearings? clutch throwout bearings? WTF?

Don't believe that garbage. Its plain and simple your air intake, it happens always around the same RPMs as you modulate the throttle.

If you do have a cold air intake, check and see if it's been rubbing on anything, particularly the hole you had to enlarge in your fender well area. The aluminum intake pipe is probably rubbing excessively on the steel fender causing a hole in the pipe. Its possible, I've seen it on many accord intakes, especially if people don't use that rubber grommet that they include on AEM setups, I dont think EBay ones have this.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Take the intake right off, slam the filter on your TB, and go for another drive.

Does it still make the noise? You just ruled out the intake.

Just a thought. Do a little diag. Cheers and good luck getting rid of the noise.

Louisracer2... no need to WTF. We are all here trying to help this guy out! Be well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunk View Post
            I don't see any real difference in quality between this filter and a K&N, though it's much better than any eBay junk I've seen. Hard to imagine changing filters would change that sound specifically.
            The intake pipe I used is a solid piece firmly tightened and sealed with to the oem intake tube and to the filter.
            i have exactly the same set up you do and i dont have a whistle coming from the intake at all. are all your vacuum lines hooked up?
            work in progress

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...07#post3185107

Comment

lol i had the same exact whistle sound come from my cb a long time ago. i just learned to live with it.

Changed intake = still there
              changed clutch and TO bearing = still there

you can always just put the front on jackstands and have somebody try to pin-point the noise while you drive it and shift through gears maybe.. but it sounds dangerous as im typing this..
              Last edited by JunyAccord; 01-13-2014, 12:35 AM. Reason: possible diagnosis?

Comment

Well thanks for all of the replies everyone. I have some things to try out when I get back home. Will post what I find out.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                New rides:
                '82 Volvo 245 drift project
                '87 Volvo 244 daily
                Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

..stock intake..

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                  Transmission bearings? clutch throwout bearings? WTF?

Don't believe that garbage. Its plain and simple your air intake, it happens always around the same RPMs as you modulate the throttle.

If you do have a cold air intake, check and see if it's been rubbing on anything, particularly the hole you had to enlarge in your fender well area. The aluminum intake pipe is probably rubbing excessively on the steel fender causing a hole in the pipe. Its possible, I've seen it on many accord intakes, especially if people don't use that rubber grommet that they include on AEM setups, I dont think EBay ones have this.
                  I've had the same issue but after trying to look for leaks in the IM, throttle body, and intake itself I chucked it up to just being a "Honda" thing since I've heard other hondas do the same. Mine is factory everything (pipe filter etc), sounds like it comes from the filter area - my question is could that sensor/ vacuum thing around the area under the intake be a culprit (or is that thing emmission related?)

Pop vTec

Comment

Pcv valve. About 10 years ago I had this issue. Is it pvc or pcv? I can't remember but I do think that's your culprit. They cost maybe 15 dollars.
                    Last edited by cb7 calling; 01-13-2014, 04:22 PM.
                    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
                      Pcv valve. About 10 years ago I had this issue. Is it pvc or pcv? I can't remember but I do think that's your culprit. They cost maybe 15 dollars.
                      Mine is brand new (less than 3 weeks or so). I pulled it and blew through it anyway to check. Seems good, without the line attached it made a small whistle but would it still be that loud attached to the VC and the IM?

Curious.. anyone elses whistle off the car? or is mine just a cheap purolator failing to quietly do its job

Pop vTec

Comment

It COULD also possibly come from the breather that comes from the valve cover to the air intake.

That's one thing that both the OE intake and an aftermarket intake share. I really don't know how to remedy this if that is causing the problem.

I did run it for a time with one of those little breather filters since I got tired of my H22 gunking up oil into my throttle body.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Did anyone look at the pics in the MRT link the op posted.

????

Its the intake. Sure, Im SURE some have accomplished this mod and were happy with it. Im also sure that there is a lot of opportunity for error with hacking/modifying the plastic oem shit and mating it with the length of metal pipe and cone filter. Just spend the coin and buy a $30 ebay tube and a quality filter and you'll be set.

I'd bet money on it. Its something in your intake fab job, and seriously, just buy a damn real intake. You'll be proud of it, and it'll cost like about as much as a quality oil change and a cheeseburger.

Just sayin...
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

My clutch throwout bearing is inFACT making a whistle sound which matches exactly what the OP described. I have pinpointed it on a lift and am 100% sure that is the issue causing the whistle noise in MY car. So don't make it sound like it's "garbage" and completely impossible just because it's something you've never encountered. Just trying to throw in my .02 and help out... Everyone is just looking at the easiest solutions, which with cars is not always the best route to take... Good luck, OP, and I hope you are able to fix the issue without spending too much unnecessary time and/or $$.

Comment

is wondering when one of my esteemed associates will find my phone number in my profile and send me 10,000 spam texts and then send a ransom message saying he will stop if I pay him, like they do on d-series dot org
                              Last edited by motorhead; 01-23-2014, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
                                My clutch throwout bearing is inFACT making a whistle sound which matches exactly what the OP described. I have pinpointed it on a lift and am 100% sure that is the issue causing the whistle noise in MY car. So don't make it sound like it's "garbage" and completely impossible just because it's something you've never encountered. Just trying to throw in my .02 and help out... Everyone is just looking at the easiest solutions, which with cars is not always the best route to take... Good luck, OP, and I hope you are able to fix the issue without spending too much unnecessary time and/or $$.
                                Interesting you have pinpointed the throwout bearing on a lift as the source for the noise you are having.

Mind elaborating on how exactly you did that? You know, without actually looking at the input shaft or taking anything apart at all, its interesting you can pinpoint the throwout bearing.

And, seriously, if anyone is confusing a throw out bearing with a vac leak, they shouldn't be working on cars.

If the throw out bearing is at fault, simply engaging/releasing the clutch will provoke changes in the sounds its making. It will have nothing to do with load. The OP would be able to provoke the same sounds without the car moving.

On the other hand, that intake screams vac leak x 100.

Step on the gas = greater pressure in the intake, pulls the leak shut. Lets off the gas, vac goes away=no more sound.

Feathering the peddle just right to get it to happen = creating the perfect scenario for vac pressure to actually provoke the leak to whistle.

Can you whistle?

Isn't there a limit to how loud you can whistle? At some point, doesnt too much air pressure in your mouth defeat the actual whislting process?

ok.

Just checking.

Bearing, whats that do? What does the throw out bearing have to do with this issue? Welp, if it was bad, it would make whiney grindey noises at all sorts of RPM's and it would sound different with the car in gear vs not in gear. You would be able to provoke the sound with the clutch pedal, not the gas. The throw out bearing is basically functioning when the clutch is depressed.

Now, the input shaft bearing, yeah, that can provoke some grinding noises under load at a given RPM. I am pretty sure the OP would notice the difference, and if not(no offense op), the op shouldn't be working on cars.

I mean, air movement, whistle sounds vs grinding bearing going out? Yeah, pretty sure that sounds very different. Throwout bearings show their symptoms when you engage/release the clutch.

Bearing applies pressure against the pressure plate to seperate contact between the clutch and pressure plate. The throw out bearing specifically is not relevant to load specific operation(in gear, driving down the road)
                                Originally posted by wed3k
                                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Working...
                                X