CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 04-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
AmTeC
CB7tuner Member

AmTeC is cool... so far.
Send a message via Skype™ to AmTeC
Talking Possible to install A/C in a base CB7?

So I have an absolute base model CB7 Coupe, Its a Canadian LX which I believe is supposed to be equal to an American DX. No bells and whistles. No power windows, no sunroof, maplights, lumbar support, and NO A/C. Its got cruise control and power steering, but thats about it. I love it anyways and I regret nothing!! Anyways, off topic, So I started to realize that summer will be here soon, and I was wondering if theres some way I can add air conditioning so I dont get roasted. Have any of you guys successfully done it? How difficult would it be? How much did it cost? And out of curiosity, How many of you guys have a CB7 w/o A/C in a hot area? How do you survive?

Betzi might have come to an abrupt end, But the legacy lives on with Daisy the CB7. This won't happen again 👿

AmTeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member

F22Chris is very helpful F22Chris is very helpful
Sure you can do it. It'll be easiest to get a donor car if you ask me. You need the compressor, bracket, condenser, lines, drier, evaporator core, hvac controls, expansion valve, and a retrofit kit with new o-rings for the entire system. It's a lot of work, but if you're willing i guess it's worth it.

American DX's had AC I think.

You can always get an ice cooler and put a fan & duct work in it, haha.

Edit: Also, to fill the system without a shops help, you'll need a vacuum pump and gauge set.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmTeC View Post
So I have an absolute base model CB7 Coupe, Its a Canadian LX which I believe is supposed to be equal to an American DX. No bells and whistles. No power windows, no sunroof, maplights, lumbar support, and NO A/C. Its got cruise control and power steering, but thats about it. I love it anyways and I regret nothing!! Anyways, off topic, So I started to realize that summer will be here soon, and I was wondering if theres some way I can add air conditioning so I dont get roasted. Have any of you guys successfully done it? How difficult would it be? How much did it cost? And out of curiosity, How many of you guys have a CB7 w/o A/C in a hot area? How do you survive?
I can't survive without A/C here in Kansas City, LOL. I think most guys that delete A/C already have a DD that has A/C.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Hold up guys.... what about....

- HVAC controls
- Wiring harness that plugs into that
- Relays, sensors, ELD wiring...

I imagine like JDM mirrors, the connectors have a spot for the wire but the wire is physically not there. This may apply to the HVAC controls, ELD, and all the sensors/relays involved. Even looking at the wiring for the AC comp clutch relay it has 4 wires which go to AC comp clutch, AC control unit, ECU, and Fuse #7 under the dash. And that's just an example. So you'll have to see if the wiring is actually there, i'm guessing it's not.

The other issue as mentioned is you are in Canada. On the east coast they crush any car older than 2000. And if you did find a donar car the components would be rusted to shit. You would have to buy new, assuming none of the parts are available.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
AmTeC
CB7tuner Member

AmTeC is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22Chris View Post
Sure you can do it. It'll be easiest to get a donor car if you ask me. You need the compressor, bracket, condenser, lines, drier, evaporator core, hvac controls, expansion valve, and a retrofit kit with new o-rings for the entire system. It's a lot of work, but if you're willing i guess it's worth it.

American DX's had AC I think.

You can always get an ice cooler and put a fan & duct work in it, haha.

Edit: Also, to fill the system without a shops help, you'll need a vacuum pump and gauge set.
I'm actually considering the ice cooler thing. Like for real.

Betzi might have come to an abrupt end, But the legacy lives on with Daisy the CB7. This won't happen again 👿

Old 04-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
I had a 92 DX with AC (didn't work, but the parts were there.) I believe it was an option on base models in the US. One that was frequently chosen, it seems. In Canada, it may have been less common.

It's definitely a lot of work to get it all in there, but it can certainly be done. You could probably snag a full setup from a junkyard car. You'd need to convert to modern refrigerant, which can be pricey (and unreliable if done wrong...)

You could also do what I did. Install an H22A engine. With 200hp at your disposal, all you need to do is open a window and hit the gas. Instant AC!

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
AmTeC
CB7tuner Member

AmTeC is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
I had a 92 DX with AC (didn't work, but the parts were there.) I believe it was an option on base models in the US. One that was frequently chosen, it seems. In Canada, it may have been less common.

It's definitely a lot of work to get it all in there, but it can certainly be done. You could probably snag a full setup from a junkyard car. You'd need to convert to modern refrigerant, which can be pricey (and unreliable if done wrong...)

You could also do what I did. Install an H22A engine. With 200hp at your disposal, all you need to do is open a window and hit the gas. Instant AC!
Yeah none of the junkyards near me have any cb7s. I guess I'll have to go with F22Chris's Ice cooler idea lol. I do plan on putting an H engine in someday, when the ol' F22A dies, that'll take years though. A 5spd swap would be nice too but I'm not experienced enough

Last edited by AmTeC; 04-11-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:

How is converting to R134a expensive?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #9
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
R134a is not compatible with r12. You have to fully flush the system, and it must be done by a licensed professional (huge fines can result, as can injury, if you do it yourself.) in most cases, unless you have connections, expect to pay over $1000 to have it done properly.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #10
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
R134a is not compatible with r12. You have to fully flush the system, and it must be done by a licensed professional (huge fines can result, as can injury, if you do it yourself.) in most cases, unless you have connections, expect to pay over $1000 to have it done properly.
Hey, anyone with a garage, vacuum pump, and gauges can do it.
Injury is possible, if you're dumb. "Properly" is a matter of opinion, there's tons of people that don't take apart and flush their systems and have cold air with no problems. I personally know of a couple of shops in my area that would gladly evacuate the system, put on the r134a fittings, fill the system, and guarantee it for years (without flushing it). $250

I spent under $200 to replace my expansion valve, dryer, all the o-rings I disturbed, all the tools for doing it, r134a, PAG oil, and I got free experience!
I didn't do it "Properly", but it's been working great for over a year and a half now. But that's just my experience, if you've got a grand to drop it's always cool to have a shop do it too.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member

F22Chris is very helpful F22Chris is very helpful
I did mine recently on the Golf with a pump and a gauge set. Just a matter of holding vacuum, and adding the proper amount of oil/refrigerant to hit the mark depending on the temperature outside. Mine puts out 34* air, and I'm proud of it.

$1000 bucks you say? I'm in the wrong business!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 AM   #12
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Take a vacation to southern Ohio; you can take the AC system out of a 93 LX I'm parting out.

INVENTORY REDUCTION! LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
I did mine recently on the Golf with a pump and a gauge set. Just a matter of holding vacuum, and adding the proper amount of oil/refrigerant to hit the mark depending on the temperature outside. Mine puts out 34* air, and I'm proud of it.

$1000 bucks you say? I'm in the wrong business!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Going to a certified shop in most areas to have it done properly (fully flushing the system) in a way that is in compliance with the law is expensive. If you want to take shortcuts, or go to shops that take shortcuts, then yes, it's cheaper.

It's like doing rust repair on your rear quarter panels... you can slap some bondo on there and act like the problem is fixed. You can go to a shop that will weld in a thin steel patch panel. Or you could go to a shop that will remove the entire quarter panel, cut out any rust that is underneath the panel, and weld in all new metal in a way that it will not rust out along the welds in a year or two. All three ways get the job done, to some extent. One way is correct... and that way is expensive.

Don't forget, as the owner of this forum, you will NEVER see me advocating illegal things. Therefore, doing an AC conversion in your garage is something I would never suggest you attempt.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #15
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Going to a certified shop in most areas to have it done properly (fully flushing the system) in a way that is in compliance with the law is expensive. If you want to take shortcuts, or go to shops that take shortcuts, then yes, it's cheaper.

It's like doing rust repair on your rear quarter panels... you can slap some bondo on there and act like the problem is fixed. You can go to a shop that will weld in a thin steel patch panel. Or you could go to a shop that will remove the entire quarter panel, cut out any rust that is underneath the panel, and weld in all new metal in a way that it will not rust out along the welds in a year or two. All three ways get the job done, to some extent. One way is correct... and that way is expensive.

Don't forget, as the owner of this forum, you will NEVER see me advocating illegal things. Therefore, doing an AC conversion in your garage is something I would never suggest you attempt.
It seems like there's always a couple different ways you can repair or modify something, one way is recommended, but is usually harder, and takes more money. The other way is usually easier and cheaper (at least temporarily). Sometimes I deem it worth a try to do the easy cheap way, and that's the route I went with my rust issues, and my A/C system. So far my rust repair has stayed rust-free so far for at least 5 days, and my A/C's been working for a couple years now.

Same for me, I don't advocate doing anything illegal, and I would never admit to doing anything illegal online, haha.

Last edited by GTRON; 04-12-2017 at 05:42 PM.
GTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #16
AmTeC
CB7tuner Member

AmTeC is cool... so far.
I just remembered something. Theres an autoshop near me thats going to be scrapping a super rusty 90-91 Accord EX. I know the guy that runs the place and he promised me the alloy rims from it once it gets scrapped. I dont know if the AC in it works, or what condition its in. Maybe I can pull it out? If the owner ever decides to finally scrap it, He said he loves it too much and doesn't wanna let go just yet, Hes got no choice, its so rusty, more than any car I've seen on this site, Wheel wells are missing, The gas tank has a hole in it and leaks if its filled up higher than 1/2. You guys think the A/C might be salvageable?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #17
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

You'll be paying to have the old R12 properly evacuated, assuming your laws are the same as ours in the US. Unless you, or your shop, is comfortable with doing something illegal and harmful to the environment. Chances are that will greatly increase the cost of salvaging that system, so it's up to you.

That would be a good way to do it, though. Everything should bolt right up with very little hassle. It'll still be complicated, but you'll have all the necessary parts at your disposal. Just be sure to get EVERYTHING that you need. Right down to wire harnesses and interior buttons.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #18
AmTeC
CB7tuner Member

AmTeC is cool... so far.
Quote:
You'll be paying to have the old R12 properly evacuated, assuming your laws are the same as ours in the US. Unless you, or your shop, is comfortable with doing something illegal and harmful to the environment. Chances are that will greatly increase the cost of salvaging that system, so it's up to you.

That would be a good way to do it, though. Everything should bolt right up with very little hassle. It'll still be complicated, but you'll have all the necessary parts at your disposal. Just be sure to get EVERYTHING that you need. Right down to wire harnesses and interior buttons.
They always do illegal crap, I really dont think they'd care. The question is will they let me take the AC out on their property, as I really dont have any space for another car at home atm. They certainly wouldn't keep it on hold for me.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #19
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:

^^^True, if you have the whole system out of the car, it makes a good opportunity to flush everything out properly! It'll be a project for sure though.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #20
masospaghetti
CB7tuner Member

masospaghetti is cool... so far.
Usually a car needing a R134a retrofit won't have any R12 left (usually leaked out - otherwise it wouldn't need a retrofit!)

If you're fixing your own air conditioner I don't think you need any kind of license. Per the EPA's website (it may be different in Canada):

Quote:
Servicing: When payment of any kind is involved (including non-monetary), any person working on an MVAC system must be certified under section 609 of the CAA and they must use approved refrigerant handling equipment.
https://www.epa.gov/mvac/epa-regulat...stem-servicing

IMO, learning how to repair your own air conditioner is one of the lowest hanging fruits of automotive repair. It's not terribly difficult, the equipment needed is modest (and you can often get the pump for free from Autozone as a loaner), and the cost savings is enormous.

Stock F22A6
VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY
masospaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c , air conditioner , air conditioning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: