Upper control arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper control arms

OK hear me out, the metal in the arms should be of the same quality as say OEM or Moog yes?

If I bought a set of cheap upper arms and removed the ball joints and bushings to install my spc ball joint camber kit, would it be fine?

I'm almost done my suspension overhaul and my driver side uca castle nut keeps spinning. So I guess I would be using the cheap arm for a week until my next set of days off then would be installing the kit next Monday, Tuesday.

So to sum up is an arm an arm? Kinda like a pipe is a pipe on a short ram...

Thanks in advance
    MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
    1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Negative, a short ram doesn't have to deal with forces acting on it. It also won't fatigue and crack like cheap metal *could* do. That one time could be your or someone else's life.

Ok now with that disclaimer out of the way. If you're only using it for a week, why not just do it once and get a used arm? I have the spc ball joint on the oem arms and it's solid.

EDIT: Why can't you use your current arms? A spinning castle nut is a pain to take off, but still possible.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      Negative, a short ram doesn't have to deal with forces acting on it. It also won't fatigue and crack like cheap metal *could* do. That one time could be your or someone else's life.

Ok now with that disclaimer out of the way. If you're only using it for a week, why not just do it once and get a used arm? I have the spc ball joint on the oem arms and it's solid.

EDIT: Why can't you use your current arms? A spinning castle nut is a pain to take off, but still possible.
      I can't get the castle nut back on, that's the problem. The joint just keeps spinning. I stupidly tossed my OEM arms when I moved in the spring. Didn't think I'd need them 8 months later.

Might check out the yard I suppose in the coming days to take some used arms for those spc joints.

Comment

Originally posted by Jking72 View Post
        I'm almost done my suspension overhaul and my driver side uca castle nut keeps spinning.
        The ball/stud is spinning in the housing? Put some pressure on the the joint, that might help keep it from spinning, at least enough to torque it to the 30 some odd ft-lbs (or is it 60 some odd?) and slap in the cotter pin.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
          The ball/stud is spinning in the housing? Put some pressure on the the joint, that might help keep it from spinning, at least enough to torque it to the 30 some odd ft-lbs (or is it 60 some odd?) and slap in the cotter pin.
          It's 32 ft/lbs I believe. Yes the joint spins, the castle nut threads maybe 2 turns then the joint starts spinning. I tried loading the suspension but it didn't help still spun.

I went to the parts store and the guy tells me beck/arnley (sp?) specialized in making import parts, so I chanced it... They couldn't find moog and Honda was a 2 day wait because I missed the 2pm next day order deadline. I'm hoping it'll last 100km, I only have to drive to and from work about 16km round trip for 5 days... Then I can source some jy arms to install my spc kit.

Comment

hmmmMM

if you had load pressure and a impact gun it would fly on that's what i do sometimes and i don't know about the same metals but go with autozone they have life time warranties and ive cashed mine in a few times for new ones and it was like free new parts...lol i plan on getting a adjustable balljoint next time i change them for sure

Comment

Originally posted by illwitit247 View Post
              if you had load pressure and a impact gun it would fly on that's what i do sometimes and i don't know about the same metals but go with autozone they have life time warranties and ive cashed mine in a few times for new ones and it was like free new parts...lol i plan on getting a adjustable balljoint next time i change them for sure
              Autozone doesn't exist here yet. Closest store is across the border 262km away in Bellingham, too far for a uca.

Comment

The TASauto arms are essentially cheapie arms with Ingalls adjustable ball joints in them. I didn't run on mine long enough to say if they were good or bad, though. My car went down shortly after the install, and hasn't been on the road since.

Comment

Working...
                X