EGR Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Ports

I have a 92 Accord ex coupe. I am in process of thinking about how to clean my egr ports whether i should i remove intake manifold completely and install egr port plugs then or just tap and install with it still on car. I also have a question about what port plugs to use as far as material, brass or aluminum. Am assuming the aluminum is some alloy and wonder how closely it matches the OE IM. Brass is used now and i got to think that is for a good reason like brass can handle the constant expansions for long times and maybe aluminum doesn't. WHo kows the real reason why right. These are screwed in port plugs though and not caps. I still got to think brass is better. What do yall think? Also do you it is worth it to remove the whole IM.

Id leave the manifold on. For the ports, I tapped them and plugged them with those small tapered carburetor plugs.

Aluminum or brass doesn't matter. You know they make engines out of aluminum right? It's because it's cheaper and lighter than cast iron. The mix of aluminum is strong as well.

Comment

Can all that carbon in the ports be cleaned well while IM is still on car? That is really my other question. It is probably just the first couple that are clogged. I guess once i open it up i'll know how bad it really is. What is the best way also once i open up those plugs to clean it. Spray a bunch of carb cleaner in there and let it sit for a few hours?

Comment

There are some DIYs on this that have pictures that show you how to do it. It's not hard to do. Just go to the DIY section under engine and search EGR
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I used a rifle brush

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
            I used a rifle brush
            I like that. Rifle brush i think would work good then vacuum it out. What kind of tap set should i use. Does it matter for aluminum? I can google that i think. Am about to order some port plugs and get ready to do it. I am just getting prepared.

Comment

Figure out the thread/pitch for the plugs and get the matching tap set for them. No - it doesn't matter for aluminum, if anything it'll be easier because the metal is a little soft capared to a high carbon steel/iron.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                Figure out the thread/pitch for the plugs and get the matching tap set for them. No - it doesn't matter for aluminum, if anything it'll be easier because the metal is a little soft capared to a high carbon steel/iron.
                I read over that diy and i see 6 1/2 inch 20 for the port plugs to get. What is the 20 for? Thread count i assume which i see standard is 14 i think. Also am assuming the 1/2 inch is npt and not bspt? So would it be easier to get the tap specs first as i am going to rent one then my plugs? Should i use countersunk heads or otherwise?
                Last edited by zedjr10; 04-12-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X