CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Appearance

Old 09-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

NH-503P-3 is cool... so far.
OE flushmount questions

I bought a flushmount yesterday. It's not a Fiberglass knockoff. Its the rubber OE type and seems to be unpainted.
My question is: are the originals all rubber coated in black? It looks to be white material under a black thin rubbery coating. Idk if I need to remove the black coating before painting it? It has some small bubbles in the coating in one spot and it's come off a little in the corners.
NH-503P-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Never mind. I figured it out. It's just how the crappy coat of paint or primer on it peels off. Here it is as I bought it.

And here it is with some of it peeled off. It comes off easy and the surface is a smoth white rubbery casting.

I think I'll clean it up real good after I peel everything off and give it a coat of plastic primer then shoot some Granada Black on it. Can't wait to get this thing attached to the CB.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Looks good! I found mine had some waves/dips in it once I painted it. I really never did get it perfect but I'm sure a real body shop could.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #4
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

I got the lip all cleaned up then I drilled the dimples each a little on the tight side to get the feel for the fitment. Here it is test mounted

It fits very nicely. Can't beat the Oem stuff. I'll paint it tomorrow and finish off the install
Old 10-01-2017, 01:49 AM   #5
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Hey Raf99 I looked up yours and it looks way nice all matched up and painted. Great job on the color too. There is no better piece for the back of these cars than the flushmount lol
Old 10-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
Hey Raf99 I looked up yours and it looks way nice all matched up and painted. Great job on the color too. There is no better piece for the back of these cars than the flushmount lol
Thanks. You can do the same. Looks good from far away but with mine once painted the dimples showed. I tried 3 times now and just can't get it perfect. And I thought I could just use a straight edge with body filler and run it down the length but nope, the edges are dimpled too. Or there are dips in the middle. So it takes a good body shop guy to get it level by eye and a lot of patience. These are not OEM btw.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Is yours fiberglass or the original rubber type? Mine is rubber. Mine has some light chipping at one end on the edge that sits over the top of the trunk. I can live with it. My cars paint and body are by no means perfect either. There was flat black paint on it before now let's see how a more glossy black looks lol.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #8
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Ok so I got it painted and cleared today. It's got its flaws and I failed to remember that my car was repainted at one time, very shittily I might add, and not exactly in Granada black. I'm not totally sure but maybe Granada has a little gold pearl in it? Anyways it's a good match but not perfect. I mounted it about an hour ago. It's definitely a bomb addition to a black coupe. I love the look of these flushmounts. Here it is:

Old 10-02-2017, 04:40 AM   #9
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
Looks really good, did you pick it up locally or online?
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
Raf99
Gold Member

Looks really good! Subtle!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #11
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

I bought a carb legal AEM intake. (California ya know) Decent shape and the flushmount for $180. It was a long drive in to Los Angeles after work but well worth it. Original flushmounts don't come up for sale much anymore. I've never seen one at a pap. Here it is this morning at my work in a lil better light:

Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #12
Alex13mod
CB7tuner Member

Alex13mod is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Alex13mod Send a message via MSN to Alex13mod Send a message via Yahoo to Alex13mod Send a message via Skype™ to Alex13mod
Looks good, This is why I sold my OEM Flush Mount and bought a Replica.

The replica looks exactly the same and the paint is flawless.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete
Alex13mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #13
jamin_jacob
CB7tuner Member

jamin_jacob is cool... so far.
Thumbs up

i just molded an acura vigor flush mount on mine , its is foam under neather the rubber out side i had to cut mine down to fit
jamin_jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #14
jamin_jacob
CB7tuner Member

jamin_jacob is cool... so far.

i cut n molded a acura vigor one to fit ! yours looks really good by the way
jamin_jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #15
Alex13mod
CB7tuner Member

Alex13mod is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Alex13mod Send a message via MSN to Alex13mod Send a message via Yahoo to Alex13mod Send a message via Skype™ to Alex13mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_jacob View Post

i cut n molded a acura vigor one to fit ! yours looks really good by the way
Damn looks good.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete
Alex13mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #16
UKEssayPapers
Banned

UKEssayPapers is cool... so far.
Education

I loved the post, keep posting interesting posts. I will be a regular reader...

UKEssayPapers
UKEssayPapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #17
tommi
Accord of the Month: August 2011

tommi seems to have made some friends!
Nice to see flushies are still desired. I was the one that started the whole project with jack_Lee in producing the reps. I sold one of my 3 oe ones to his buddy in malaysia back years ago. And he made reps of them. I wonder sometimes if that was the wrong move. Selling a oe to be made into reps as it makes the fun of finding the oem ones less elusive. But then for the pricei sold it for id do it again.. But at same time Find it harder to sell oe ones nowadays then back then when no reps were being made.

(125)Transactions and counting
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #18
Size9zombie
CB7tuner Member

Size9zombie is cool... so far.
I'm jealous, I've been looking for an OE flushmount for a couple months now with little to no luck. Maybe i'm just not looking in the right places??
Size9zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:38 AM   #19
Warudakumi
CB7tuner Member

Warudakumi is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommi View Post
I wonder sometimes if that was the wrong move. Selling a oe to be made into reps as it makes the fun of finding the oem ones less elusive. But then for the price i sold it for id do it again.. But at same time Find it harder to sell oe ones nowadays then back then when no reps were being made.

I'm 50/50 on reps. I like that fact that the reps will preserve these hard to find items from not being accessible anymore. On the other side of it, I agree it makes selling originals harder or less valued for what they are.

I'm disappointed to see elusive Sigma kit copies showing up here and there. On the flip side nothing can match the originals since they are Urethane. I've got offered decent money for my East-Bear front grille but I keep asking myself if I really want to see clones of these spread like wildfire on e-bay?

I really want to put on my authentic G-Square front lip however being that is fiberglass scares me enough to consider buying a copy and storing the original.

Our cars are getting to be old classics. For some of the OG's looking to drive their CB to their Graves like me, should start stocking up on some hard to find items b4 they are really extinct or get even more expensive. I was really surprised to see how much virgin OEM 90-91 chrome lined JDM headlights, 92-93 headlights and JDM curved fogs for 90-93s go for nowadays.

There was a time where brand new Malaysian reps could be found...but I think that may have been a limited run as I don't see them that much anymore on e-bay. I think the desire sparked up like the 92-93 red/clear tails that went extinct for awhile and then came back.

Back 2 the Basics Import Theory BEST JDM 2008 / Project Compound Setup CB7
CB7Tuner's Dirtiest USDM/JDM/CDM/EDM/AUS SM4 Parts Whore
I am the Yakuza CB7!
JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ
Warudakumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:44 AM   #20
Warudakumi
CB7tuner Member

Warudakumi is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex13mod View Post
Looks good, This is why I sold my OEM Flush Mount and bought a Replica.

The replica looks exactly the same and the paint is flawless.

I had a nicely painted OEM black flushmount and was pissed when my coworker leaned on my car and cracked it. The OE is soft and gives in a little if u push it hard enough. I agree that the replica is better in this respect as it doesn't flex. I just wouldn't do a replica when it comes to lip spoilers or sideskirts due to rocks chipping and the scare of bottoming out and braking them all together.

Back 2 the Basics Import Theory BEST JDM 2008 / Project Compound Setup CB7
CB7Tuner's Dirtiest USDM/JDM/CDM/EDM/AUS SM4 Parts Whore
I am the Yakuza CB7!
JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ
Warudakumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: