Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Want new, cheap, rust resistant, QUIET exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want new, cheap, rust resistant, QUIET exhaust

Hello! My first pipe (no idea what it's called)...the one with the flex portion, has had a rusted hole for a while now. I want to replace it soon.

I'm just trying to get my CB7 to run as QUIETLY as possible for minimum bank. I am sick of exhaust pipes rusting. Can anyone recommend a good / cheap place (online) / brand for a suitable stock replacement for that first exhaust pipe that will be quiet?

Also, a friend at work told me that before putting the exhaust on, that you can coat it with a layer or three of some high-temp rust-resisting spray paint in order to make a huge difference in a life of an exhaust pipe. Do any of you do that, or have you heard about doing that? I don't really care about looks, since the thing's under my car.

While I'm at it, is there a DIY for exhaust somewhere around here? I've looked a bit and am not seeing one. I'm not lazy either...(maybe blind?)

its called your flex pipe. Your best bet for a cheap replacement would be napa/autozone deal. I have heard of coating it with a rust resilient paint, but never have done it. I plan on doing it to my next exhaust set up because I'll be in Rhode Island where water and salt are everywhere.

Its pretty much self explanatory. Jack your car up and please put it on jack stands. There will be three nuts holding it to your manifold (your manifold is attached to your head). Then depending on what sub model your car is (EX, LX, DX) will determine if you have to remove your O2 sensor or not. If you see your O2 sensor there, don't fret, you just have to get a big wrench/an O2 sensor socket and a lot of PB Blaster to break that bitch free. Then follow the pipe and remove it from your catalytic converter, whcih is held on by three bolts and nuts.

Ask if you need anymore help

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

the pipe you're talking about is the flex pipe lol. that section that bends tends to go bad a lot. hmm you could probably get on ebay and find an aftermarket header that comes with that flex pipe for cheaper than just replacing the pipe.

theres not much to replacing the exhaust, when i installed my WS2, i just dropped everything by the rubber hangers. Now this was all done on my back on the ground, so installation took no longer than 45 minutes because everything was bolted on.

if you want quiet, i'd recommend staying OE. don't get any of those fart/coffee can style exhausts because they will be loud.

If you're going to replaced everything, it'll run you a pretty coin. when i did mine,

Apexi WS2 $415 w/free shipping
      Catco direct fit $ 90 w/free shipping
      Megan Racing header (used) $ 60 shipped from forum member
      Permatex Copper sealant $ 5
      Labor $ 0 did it myself.

*re-used my o2 sensor

not sure how soon you need it done but it took me 3 months of searching for the best deals to get this done.

Comment

There really are no exhaust systems that meet ALL of your requirements. The Apexi World Sport 2 is the closest, but the piping is aluminized steel... and will eventually rust.

Comment

lol my exhaust pipe SNAPPED right infront of the resonator the other day.....WTF? snapped in half...

but anyway apexi world sport is pretty quiet..but its not what i'd call cheap

spoonsportsaddict

Comment

RS*R ain't cheap either... thats what i have.
            <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by JDMchristian991 View Post
              lol my exhaust pipe SNAPPED right infront of the resonator the other day.....WTF? snapped in half...

but anyway apexi world sport is pretty quiet..but its not what i'd call cheap
              Certainly not cheap. There are NO cheap quiet exhausts. There are NO cheap full stainless exhausts. There's only one type that you can get cheap. A cheap exhaust.

A cheap exhaust is like a cheep hooker. It doesn't take long before it looks like shit and sounds like shit... and if you aren't careful with it, you'll need a series of painful shots from your doctor.

Comment

10 ft of stainless pipe about $60 at 2.5" thick with stock EXR muffler with dual exit pipes very good setup and cheap
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                  A cheap exhaust is like a cheep hooker. It doesn't take long before it looks like shit and sounds like shit... and if you aren't careful with it, you'll need a series of painful shots from your doctor.
                  well put sir. Its funny how i hear more rust stories from Apex ws2 then a tsudo catback exhaust.

damn, and i was going to get either an rs*r or ws2. Just get an ebay exhast and jam a bunch of resonators on it.

Comment

I love my RS*R Exmag, makes me smile everytime I drive the car.

its expensive, but it will last for ever, and it has great resale value.
                    DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by carps_accord View Post
                      10 ft of stainless pipe about $60 at 2.5" thick with stock EXR muffler with dual exit pipes very good setup and cheap
                      where? from
                      scion Tc
                      HONDA FIT

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post
                        its called your flex pipe. Your best bet for a cheap replacement would be napa/autozone deal. I have heard of coating it with a rust resilient paint, but never have done it. I plan on doing it to my next exhaust set up because I'll be in Rhode Island where water and salt are everywhere.

Its pretty much self explanatory. Jack your car up and please put it on jack stands. There will be three nuts holding it to your manifold (your manifold is attached to your head). Then depending on what sub model your car is (EX, LX, DX) will determine if you have to remove your O2 sensor or not. If you see your O2 sensor there, don't fret, you just have to get a big wrench/an O2 sensor socket and a lot of PB Blaster to break that bitch free. Then follow the pipe and remove it from your catalytic converter, whcih is held on by three bolts and nuts.

Ask if you need anymore help

Thanks for the help; I have the EX so I will be procuring the O2 sensor tool. My question is that if I go with the Napa / Autozone part, it'll have the O2 sensor slot, right? Also, do I need to be careful not to spray around the O2 sensor slot with that rust proof stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                          the pipe you're talking about is the flex pipe lol. that section that bends tends to go bad a lot. hmm you could probably get on ebay and find an aftermarket header that comes with that flex pipe for cheaper than just replacing the pipe.

Haha I knew it was something about "flex" and "pipe"! No but seriously, I don't want any sport sound from my exhaust at all. I feel like I could just go to the ebay way and then spray it down with rust-resistant spray paint and I'd be fine. I'm not planning on doing anything especially special to this car at this point; I just want it to run like it was when it was new (or close to it). I basically just want a very quiet, reliable car.

Speaking of reliablility, have you guys noticed that the front driveaxle tends to be the weakest part (LEAST reliable part) of these cars? I have had more CV joint issues than anywhere else in the car!

Comment

Originally posted by carps_accord View Post
                            Eh...sounds like it takes custom work. I'm not really prepared to do that. I just need a bolt-on solution. That would be sweet, though.

Comment

Rust resistant spray paint won't help much due to the heat of the exhaust. You'll need it to be able to withstand high temps, exposure to weather, as well as the sandblasting that it'll be getting under the car. If you want rust resistant, get stainless steel.

Comment

Working...
                              X