Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Valve cover removal help :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover removal help :/

Hi everyone ,
    I have no money and my local mechanic who did the water pump and timing belt kit with all seals has alerted me that my valve cover gasket seal is stuffed and he has sealed it with gasket putty blue stuff :P(my great mechanical language). I was wondering if its hard to remove the valve cover and replace the seal. If so how would i do it :P?
    Thanks guys
    Anthony

If it's an f22 it's only 4 10mm nuts you gotta take off. The valve cover gasket cost like 10 bucks at autozone new

Comment

yeh it's just a few bolts.. but u still gotta be carfull .. if that putty is causing acting like some adhesion, ur first thought might be to grab a flat head and pry it off.. That is where u need to be careful. u can possibly scrach the edge of ur valve cover or engine and ur future valve cover seal might not seal. Try to wiggle it off first.. maybe if possible slide a razor blade (carefully) in trying to cut the seal.
      -:¦:-
      Originally posted by wed3k
      i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Any guide on how to replace the seal and also... how would i go about painting it then putting it back on(how do i clean the paint stripper off or if i get it sandblasted what to use)?

Comment

What type of engine?

Comment

Originally posted by grave View Post
            What type of engine?
            Its a f22a9 :/

Comment

All you have to do is put the new gasket in. It's pretty self explanatory. I normally put a little bit of silicone by the corners also. The gasket will also come with round seals for the spark plug holes. Just take the old ones out and put the new ones in.

BTW whenever I take my valve cover off I also do a valve lash adjustment but seeing you are asking how to replace the gasket, you must likely will not wanna do this yourself.

Here is more info
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...lug+tube+seals
              Last edited by AbsurdNY; 10-05-2011, 07:26 AM.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
              Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
              My member's ride

Comment

Ya, a rubber hammer helps. You don't want to pry the VC off with some metal object but instead give it some wiggles. I'd try using your hands to get it off first.

The stuff your mechanic used will do the trick for now btw. If no oil is leaking out your good. But obviously it sounds like you need to replace it.

Oh, and don't drop any shit down in the engine with the cover off.
                Best of luck.

Comment

It's a bit more, but an OEM gasket will do the job that much better. The non OEM gasket will be very difficult to put in. It's a little bit too big. The difference between the two is night and day.

Do you know what the spark plug boots are? They're the 4 wires that go over the top of your engine. Pull each one out of the engine (with your hands). They should be dry. If you see any oil (be sure to check inside the tubes too) come back and let us know.

Comment

Also before you go yanking out all the spark plug wires , make a note of which hole they go into otherwise you could screw something up.

Comment

Or you could take them out one at a time. That's what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by 13k View Post
                        Or you could take them out one at a time. That's what I do.
                        Explain how you take them out one at a time when taking your valve cover off?

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
                        Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
                        My member's ride

Comment

Originally posted by AbsurdNY View Post
                          Explain how you take them out one at a time when taking your valve cover off?

But ideally you'd want to know if you need to do the lower seals before you get started.

Comment

Look, it's not a big deal with the spark plug wires. They are all specific lengths and you can tell which goes where by shortest to longest.

Comment

Unless you remove them from the distributor. But otherwise, yes, it's fairly easy not to get them mixed up.

Comment

Working...
                              X