Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Upgrading battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading battery

I am thinking about getting a yellow top optima battery for my 91 wagon but I am concerned about my alternator. Do I have to upgrade it? I have a new alternator in my parts car. But i don't know if I have to upgrade it.

I am also running a 600 watt amp and 4 12 inch woofers. The lights do dim when the bass hit.

Are there any other stuff to upgrade (such as wiring) if I am running a yellow top?

Originally posted by Ely585 View Post
    I am thinking about getting a yellow top optima battery for my 91 wagon but I am concerned about my alternator. Do I have to upgrade it? I have a new alternator in my parts car. But i don't know if I have to upgrade it.

I am also running a 600 watt amp and 4 12 inch woofers. The lights do dim when the bass hit.

Are there any other stuff to upgrade (such as wiring) if I am running a yellow top?
    Optima batteries are shit! If you want a nice audio battery check out Kinetik batteries. I believe the cheapest battery they make is $250, but they have some that reach into $900 I believe. The $200 battery should be just fine for your setup.

Comment

Try doing a big 3 upgrade.

Or look into getting a upgrade alt if your serious. Prelude or maybe oddsey alt I believe have higher output. You'll want to research that.
      wat?

Comment

I would Just get a cap....Thats why they make um....It charges up from the batt and the amp uses power from cap.....Get a 1farret cap and you will be good....Hear the diff right away and your light dim should stop also.....Also take the strain off your alt and batt!!
        Only give advice when I know or have done it and it worked

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
          Try doing a big 3 upgrade.

Or look into getting a upgrade alt if your serious. Prelude or maybe oddsey alt I believe have higher output. You'll want to research that.
          I was just looking at a video about the big 3 upgrade. But I was looking at comments and people was saying that its pointless with out upgraded battery and alternator. . .

I am very new to when it comes to car electronics i know the basics like hooking up amps n radios but nothing big like capacitors n upgrading wires and stuff.
          Last edited by Ely585; 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

You could try Optima(Gel battery) or a Duralast Platinum (Absorbed glass mat).
            MRT
            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
            Originally posted by Tippey764
            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
            Originally posted by deevergote
            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I was just looking at a video about the big 3 upgrade. But I was looking at comments and people was saying that its pointless with out upgraded battery and alternator. . .

I am very new to when it comes to car electronics i know the basics like hooking up amps n radios but nothing big like capacitors n upgrading wires and stuff.
              I did the big "1" if you may. I did the Battery to chassis and it really helped out a lot! I'm going to do the other 2 soon, I just need to buy more wire for it.

Comment

Your stock wires are 20years old. They probably accumulated some corrosion, allowing less amps to flow through.
                wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                  Your stock wires are 20years old. They probably accumulated some corrosion, allowing less amps to flow through.
                  Your probably right..

So should I go n do the big 3 upgrade with 0 gauge wire with stock alternator and regular battery? Will I see a difference?

Comment

You may see a difference. It varies from car to car. It is a nice upgrade though, even if its just for replacing that old wire.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Check out braille batteries, they are way less expensive than optima or oddessey, but use the same construction as Kinetik. IMO, if you are looking at any kind of upgrade battery and don't go with braille, you are throwing money away. They specialize in lightweight race batteries, but make some big ones that have a ton of power.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by cuate01221 View Post
                        Optima batteries are shit! If you want a nice audio battery check out Kinetik batteries. I believe the cheapest battery they make is $250, but they have some that reach into $900 I believe. The $200 battery should be just fine for your setup.
                        My red top optima battery has lasted me 6 years. If you tend to leave anything on (accessories or lights) for long periods of time, or you forget to turn off your headlights at night on occasion, this is the battery for you. I left my lights once after a "long" night and when i woke up the next afternoon they where still on and my car started right up. IMO, since we drive FWD cars, instead of getting a lightweight battery stick with a heavy one. Every pound over the wheels counts.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteGhost View Post
                          I would Just get a cap....Thats why they make um....It charges up from the batt and the amp uses power from cap.....Get a 1farret cap and you will be good....Hear the diff right away and your light dim should stop also.....Also take the strain off your alt and batt!!
                          cap did not cut it for me, and i am running 5 times that power, and only 1 sub, 8 speakers. I did a yellow top optima upfront in the engine bay. and a khc1200 kinetic battery. I do have an h22 though, so not too sure about that alternator charging. With my setup, what will usually happen is if the car is at idle, no music playing, once i start bumping up the radio, the idle will drop a little, but correct itself and keep the idle where its supposed to be. that one time it drops is the only time my lights dim, after that its all good.
                          Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

Upgrade your alt bro! Trust me! Caps are crap there good for surge protection for your amp that's about it. Big 3 is a good way to go two combined with a high output alt you should be good. after that then add good Batt's not optima's there not that great for the cash.....
                            My 90 coupe Mr thread....
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Comment

Try the big 3 and a good battery. Odessey makes the Diehard Platinum batteries and Sears has them in stock all day...8year warranty on them too.
                              1993 Accord LX Coupe 5spd

Comment

Working...
                              X