Desktop Memory Recommendations please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Memory Recommendations please..

Ok, so i've been using an HP computer for the past 4 years. Recently the PCI-E slot on the mobo died. I started using a PCI video card, but the video can be laggy for videos and laggy on basic internet games like Yahoo Pool.

SO, i decided to go back in time and build a new computer. I got an Asus M4A79XTD EVO mobo with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor along with an OCZ 700W PSU. The mobo only accepts DDR3 memory. This is why i'm looking for recommendations on which one to get.

I have used Corsair in previous systems with no issues at all. Now i know there are several new brands, like A-DATA, Geil, G-skill. I have not had any experience with any of them, so just wondering if anyone here has. I'm looking for atleast 4-6GB of memory. Motherboard can handle 16GB.

Responses are greatly appreciated.

Damn, you really went balls out on the new system in order to play yahoo pool. What do yo want the memory for? Do you care about oc'ing? And I'm still on ddr2, but don't ddr3 sticks come in sets of 3? Or is that just a possibility?

Comment

Check these out. I don't know how much you were looking to spend, but I checked out the $100 and unders.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277

Comment

I am Mushkin fan myself.. bought a pack of them few weeks ago.

Comment

i am in the same boat myself! currently i'm running an amd64 x2 with ddr2 setup

right now i so far have a athlon II x4 620 quad core not as good as your phemon is.

biggest thing you want to look at is cas lantcey low like 7 and 9 is high.

as for name brands muskin is good corsar is good and such but don't cheap out on it. i'm going for 4GB for win7 64 but

are you running 64 bit os? if not it is uselss going over 4gig of ram since 32 only support up to 4 gig of ram.

also is you pc dual channel? if it is i'd reccomnd to get two sticks at the same time if not then just get one giant ram.

but as for now i'm stumped at what pcspeed i should go to lol. mobo said i can oc to pc1800 dunno what that means lol.

hope you like your system! what vid card will u go for?
          1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

Corsar is the stuff I run in my computer, but it came with it when I bought it. From what I know about them they have really good warranties and the quality is pretty darn good.
            Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Corsair is good, Geil isn't bad either.

Just make sure you get a matched set, I've heard if they're not matched, you may run into some issues

Comment

Corsair, Kingston, OCZ are all good. Stay away from Crucial, they have horrible incompatibility issues with WAY too many mobos/chipsets.
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                  Damn, you really went balls out on the new system in order to play yahoo pool. What do yo want the memory for? Do you care about oc'ing? And I'm still on ddr2, but don't ddr3 sticks come in sets of 3? Or is that just a possibility?
                  LOL. It's not just for yahoo pool lol. I wanna get back to Coutner Strike and stuff, lol. I miss my high school days, pulling all nighters. Don't laugh you bastards. You know you did the same thing. No, DDR3 come in 1's 2's 3's and i believe even 4's.

Originally posted by Lil' Whitie View Post
                  i am in the same boat myself! currently i'm running an amd64 x2 with ddr2 setup

right now i so far have a athlon II x4 620 quad core not as good as your phemon is.

biggest thing you want to look at is cas lantcey low like 7 and 9 is high.

as for name brands muskin is good corsar is good and such but don't cheap out on it. i'm going for 4GB for win7 64 but

are you running 64 bit os? if not it is uselss going over 4gig of ram since 32 only support up to 4 gig of ram.

also is you pc dual channel? if it is i'd reccomnd to get two sticks at the same time if not then just get one giant ram.

but as for now i'm stumped at what pcspeed i should go to lol. mobo said i can oc to pc1800 dunno what that means lol.

hope you like your system! what vid card will u go for?
                  I'm most probably gonna run win7 64 bit and yes it supports dual chanel and that's what i will be using. Video acrd rioght now will just be an old ATI Radeon X800 card i have that worked wonders. Eventually i'll get serious and buy SLi cards.

The OC'ing to PC1800 is more of a marketing gimmick to me. You can't really OC RAM. So it's more of an oohh ahhh factor.

Comment

Crucial RAM! The best IMO
                    MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

Originally posted by djkurious View Post
                      Crucial RAM! The best IMO
                      errrrr..i'm sure most of us would like some of what you're smoking. If you know enough about building your own systems, you would NEVER recommend Crucial. lol. Sorry i've had way too many bad experiences with them. Too many BSOD's and lock up's.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                        corsair, Kingston, Ocz Are All Good. Stay Away From Crucial, They Have Horrible Incompatibility Issues With Way Too Many Mobos/chipsets.
                        X2

Comment

I've used Gskill extensively with no problems ever. Most of their cheap RAM comes with nice heat spreaders too.
                          Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                          D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                          ┴─┴
                          ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

i love the budget kingston. and wtf you buying a new comp, finish your turbo build asshole.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil' Whitie View Post
                              ..one giant ram...

One Giant Ram.

Having LOLd I would go with Corsair simply because I've used their XMS memory since around 2000 and have had no problems whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                              X