Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here

I'm new to the forum and have been wanting a Honda for a while. I know a guy selling a CB7 and after looking around here I fell in love. I am going to look at his on the 30th when I get home from my dads for Christmas. I was curious if there are certain things specific to these that might be wrong with it, and if it is worth the buy. It is a black coupe, 5 speed with 230k on it. He told me all it needs is a battery and he is asking $1500. Thanks for your help.

That I can think of, only rear quarter panel rust comes to mind as specific to these Accords. Otherwise it's just the regular maintenance stuff you'd look out for with any other car. The fuel pump/main relays are problematic, but that's usually a simple re-solder job rather than blowing a ton of money on a new one. Am I missing anything, guys?

If you can, bring a battery to test drive it to see if that's really all it needs. Light problems can sometimes hide bigger ones. And bring a flash light to look around the engine to check for leaks. 230k is commonly the beginning of the end for these cars; things finally start wearing out despite normal maintenance.
    Last edited by CyborgGT; 12-24-2012, 01:48 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. But he said I will be able to drive it, and I will of course check for leaks and what not. I will also check all the fluids to see how they look. He hasn't told me whether anything has been rebuilt or replaced engine or trans wise, or if it is all original. I'm sure the cleanliness of it will should help determine that. He said the timing belt and clutch were down recently. I guess it all comes down to how everything looks when I get to see it. Also he said for 1800 he will include a k series block and head. Didn't specify which.

All of the CB7s in my area are about the same though. Roughly $1500 with the same or more mileage. Most are torn up body wise. The pics of the one I want look clean and all stock.

Comment

You should be able to knock down that 1500 price. That is SUPER steep for a car with 230k. I bought a near mint 90 LX 5 speed coupe with 110k MILES for $1400 a year ago, and that was top dollar IMO.

I've paid $300-1400 for the several Accords I've owned. IMO, $1500 is like top dollar, for a super immaculate one.

As stated above, those are typical problems one can run into on these cars. However, I can say that all of my cars have been very very reliable and none have left me stranded.

I had a wagon with over 300k miles on it, ran beautifully, except it burned some oil. That was really the only issue. You cannot go wrong with one of these cars. If they break, they are SO easy to work on, and parts are super cheap and easy to get for them. IMO, they are one of the best bang for the buck cars out there, and you will really enjoy this one you are looking at. You cannot beat a black 5 speed coupe. If it looks in good shape, I may offer the 1500, but I'd make a lower offer first.

No need to take the K series engine or anything, that's just more work than you will ever need/want to do. If you do a swap, your best bet is just a Prelude H22. 197hp instantly.

This forum will be your absolute best resource to fix up and modify your new CB with.

Comment

All the CB7s are in the same price range here with the same or more mileage and look in much worse condition. I had planned on offering him less anyways if everything goes good. Thanks for the help and info guys!

Comment

Yeah, those prices are typical in my state, too. Real beaters go for around $600, while near mint CBs go for $2.5-3k. Not a bad deal, imo.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I paid 800 for mine 2 years ago with 220k on the clock. Unless the body has minimal rust issues then 1500 is a little much.

Comment

I'm not expecting any rust cause I'm pretty sure the car is from around here. Rust is never an issue with us. But as I was saying its an average price for the mileage here. They may be cheaper for some of you but not around here.

Comment

1500 is kinda pricey for a CB with 230k most I would pay is 1000 -1200

My 2 door 90 ex had 331k before I sold it and was still running great and sold it for 800.

look at the engine bay and see if it looks like it has been sitting for to long (rust on bolts and other parts)
                  as many have stated a minor problem can be big and bigger if your not good on fixing things your self.

example : alternator fail can cost you $80-110 and + $80 and up labor but if you do it your self not such a big deal.

talk him down on the price, i am sure there is not that many people that want the car because of the high miles, don't seem to happy about getting it because thats when he will not go any lower

Links to my rides :
                  1992 Accord EX*
                  1990 Accord EX
                  1991 Accord SE (4th)
                  1991 Accord SE (3rd)
                  1991 Accord SE (2ND)
                  1991 Accord SE

Comment

I had planned on taking a multimeter to test the alternator with. He seems more excited that I'm coming to look at than I am to wanting it. I had planned to offer less no matter what. But I have quite a bit of mechanical experience with cars so most things I can do my self.

Comment

Working...
                    X