H22 problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 problems...

I recently swapped my F22B dohc for a usdm H22A4 Type SH engine. it appears the engine was in good shape, head looked brand new. got it all hooked up and got it sorta running.

Problems-

1. Car WILL not idle. I have the 2 vacuum ports open to allow it to atleast idle on its own. if you plug them, the car usually dies.

2. No vtec. I wired everything. Knock sensor, solenoid, pressure switch, all to the ecu using pins. I know the wiring to the ecu is right. I'm not sure about the rest. I went to pull the vtec solenoid off to clean it, it was absolutely FULL of metal shavings. 100% stopped up. cleaned it all out, and went on another drive. still no vtec. car doesn't feel like its got much power.

3. The oil light is on at idle, but goes away anywhere off idle. I don't think its the OPSU. I have a spare, I might swap out tomorrow.

only 2 codes im getting are

15 with is ign output signal
    22 vtec pressure switch

Car cranks up and runs pretty smooth I guess. No weird noises or anything. This shit is getting old now.. Does anybody have any insight on whats going on here? This is my first vtec motor, so I'm completely lost at what to do... :/
    COUPE K24

Vtec won't engage with code 22 unless you are chipped and tell the ecu to not look for the vtec oil pressure switch.
    Is the sensor functioning? Did you wire the sensor correctly? I wired mine backwards at first. One to the ECU and the other to the thermostat ground.

Is the timing retarded? Mine was and it ran like shit. Then I fixed the timing and everything was good.

steve

Comment

took it apart and cleaned it. i thought i had it wired wrong, so i just switched the wires and still nothing.

timing is right in the middle.
      COUPE K24

Comment

which injectors are you using?
        This won't help with vtec but could be your power problems.

steve

Comment

It is possible to have vtec engage without using the pressure switch aswell, you wire the pressure switch into the vtec solenoid, this is how I have mine wired up as it didn't come with one. Did you swap distributors? And intake manifold?
          My work in progress!

Comment

using stock obd1 injectors.

using the same dizzy i had on my f22b dohc. its a newer one. it worked 100% before and still does.

only swapped the top half of the IM.

are f22b dohc and h22 TB the same size? That might be the cause of the idle problems.
            COUPE K24

Comment

I assume you mean OBD1 h22 injectors?

Why did you not use the H22 upper and TB.
              From google searches it says f22b TB should work. It also says it is bigger. If you have the h22 tb it might be worth swapping to see if it fixes it.

My dizzy on my h22 is a td60. I don't know what the f22b dizzy is.

Many of these parts are interchangeable. If you are having problems. I would go back to all stock h22 parts. Change from there and find the problem.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                I assume you mean OBD1 h22 injectors?

Why did you not use the H22 upper and TB.
                From google searches it says f22b TB should work. It also says it is bigger. If you have the h22 tb it might be worth swapping to see if it fixes it.

My dizzy on my h22 is a td60. I don't know what the f22b dizzy is.

Many of these parts are interchangeable. If you are having problems. I would go back to all stock h22 parts. Change from there and find the problem.

Steve
                Hold up!

They might be interchangeable, but he did mention he has an SH a4, which means obd2 distributor.

TD60 distributor is correct though, thats the one Im running out of a 94 Prelude VTEC.

Idle issues? As stated above, troubleshoot by switching back to the H22a4's original upper/tb.

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

all f22b dohc/h23/h22 dizzy is the same part.

yes obd1 h22 injectors.

chipped p28 ecu with p13 map.

not really concerned about the idle now.

took the vtec solenoid off, and it was stopped up with metal flakes. about to scrap this car.
                  COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by 1990exr View Post
                    It is possible to have vtec engage without using the pressure switch aswell, you wire the pressure switch into the vtec solenoid, this is how I have mine wired up as it didn't come with one. Did you swap distributors? And intake manifold?
                    can you clarify what you mean. im having the same issue. i have one wire vtec and get code 22. how do i bypass the vtps?

i have a chipped p06 with h22 base map

"Good judgement comes from experience,
                    alot of that comes from bad judgment"

Comment

Do you have VTEC capability added to your P06?
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                        Do you have VTEC capability added to your P06?
                        it should it has an h22 base map with a launch control. there is only a vtec solenoid on the motor, its jdm. it throws CEL 22. if i take that wire out i get 21 and 22

Comment

The p06 boards have to have some chips resistors or something soldered on it to enable vtec.
                          You can load the h22 map but if the board doesn't have the hardware the software won't work.

I'm in the same boat with my IAB. Which you also won't have functioning with the p06.

Steve
                          Last edited by Stoner51; 03-29-2013, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                            The p06 boards have to have some chips resistors or something soldered on it to enable vtec.
                            You can load the h22 map but if the board doesn't have the hardware the software won't work.

I'm in the same boat with my IAB. Which you also won't have functioning with the p06.

Steve
                            i had that eliminated when it was chipped. it has a removable chip and some header plug in

Comment

Working...
                            X