Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best way to remove rubber from lower shock bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to remove rubber from lower shock bushing?

I know this is a simple question, but I figure I might as well see if there's a trick anyone has that I haven't thought of!

I don't want to torch it out. Partially because I don't have a torch, and partially because I'm not fond of applying heat to my suspension components, or a flame near my gas tank!

I was just going to start picking at it with a sharp object... screwdriver, narrow chisel, etc... but I see that possibly taking a LONG time!

Other than fire and picking at it like a week-old scab, does anyone else have any suggestions?

lower shock bushing? Which one? are you takling about the rear one?

You can use a vice and a socket and use that as a type of hydrolic press.
    Or use a gear puller, with the appropriate socket and gun it through.
    Or use a hack saw and saw it down to the bushing sleeve, cut a slit, then collapse the bushing and it should come out.

Buy a torch you noob! lol. You have to watch out for temperatures though.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Yeah, the rear one.

I'm not worried about getting the entire thing out... I plan on using a hacksaw to slice a slit in the sleeve and pop it out that way. I just need to get the rubber out of the way first!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Yeah, the rear one.

I'm not worried about getting the entire thing out... I plan on using a hacksaw to slice a slit in the sleeve and pop it out that way. I just need to get the rubber out of the way first!
        The rubber is pretty soft. So going through with a hacksaw will probably chew right through it. I think....
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I'm going to need something to push through it. There's a bolt through the inner sleeve, cut off flush. I'm going to give a screwdriver a shot. Maybe I'll steal my friend's drill when he gets home...

Comment

I used a drill to drill out the rubber in my UCA bushings, took a couple tries to be able to do it fast, but it worked pretty good.
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Buy a dremmel, and some heavyduty bits and discs, even if you torch it, there's a sleeve inside the arm, that needs to come out, to put them on, freeze the bushing for an hour and it'll be cakework
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Yeah, someone made a DIY that showed how to cut the outer sleeve so the old bushing can come out easily. I just need to clear the rubber out of there! Good thinking on freezing the new one. I'll toss it in the freezer now. It'll be nice and frozen by the time I get this sucker out!

Comment

I just pushed it out with my 12 ton press. Bought it on Craigslist for 75 bucks and it came with a bunch of dies. Took about 1 min each side.

I had to take the lower arm off obviously, Idk if you were asking for a method to do it on the car or not.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I just replaced some rear bushings on a civic at work the other day. Believe it or not, pushing out the rubber even with a press can be rather hard. Those suckers can stay put pretty well, my press was bending a bit just trying, the rubber can bind up and hold alot of force. After completing a few, I found that gutting out the rubber and cutting a slit in the metal sleeve was the easiest and quickest way- as the others have already stated. Also even a small butane lighter helps to burn off the remaining "furry" rubber left behind- just helps to clean it up a bit and loosen the rubber before you cut a slit in the sleeve to release it. Good luck!
                    ON_N20
                    Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

Why is it that everyone is telling me how to remove the sleeve? That's what I know how to do!

It's getting the rubber out of there that I'm having trouble with. I don't have a butane torch, and I'm not comfortable using it on the car (and I prefer to do this on the car). I got about 1/6 of the rubber gouged out with a screwdriver, but my hands are all cramped up from doing it now.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Why is it that everyone is telling me how to remove the sleeve? That's what I know how to do!

It's getting the rubber out of there that I'm having trouble with. I don't have a butane torch, and I'm not comfortable using it on the car (and I prefer to do this on the car). I got about 1/6 of the rubber gouged out with a screwdriver, but my hands are all cramped up from doing it now.
                        butane torch wont do crap. I use mapp gas lol. But since you dont want to, just use a chisel. That will eat through the rubber

I cant believe you didnt think of the freezer trick, I do it all the time with balljoints and other things.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I knew if it... I just forgot to put the new bushing in there.

Butane won't burn the rubber? I think I might resort to fire afterall... my hands can't take much more of this, and it's barely scratched. My friend has a butane torch. I'm just waiting for his reply to let me use it.

Comment

If it's off the car:
                            Drill a hole in the bushing. Large enough to fit a sawzall through. Active sawzall
                            and cut in a quick circle around the outside. That will sever the rubber from the
                            outer sleeve and let it fall out. Pressing a new one in is a tad more difficult. I
                            ended up abandoning my pressing and using my vise instead.
                            MRT
                            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                            Originally posted by Tippey764
                            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Still on the car. I don't care to undo the brake lines again to get it off (as one of the connections is nearly stripped... I'd REALLY like to keep it on the car!)

Comment

Working...
                              X