Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Buying angle grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying angle grinder

Any recommendations? I know they all do pretty much the same thing, but are there any brands out there that are particularly good, or any I should stay away from?

Just go buy a cheap one from harbor freight. Everything is made in China nowadays so what does it matter anymore?

Comment

+1 that's where I got mine, pretty reliable considering I use it every week.
      My 91 ex coupe
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=189841

Comment

I would recommend the same thing. However, I bought a 3" cut-off wheel from them a few weeks ago and it was worthless. Oil was spitting out onto my hand and it would not gain what I thought should have been its full speed. I took it back and exchanged it for a new one and this one works great.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

eh, I use a Jobmate (Canadian Tire brand) angle grinder that I've had for about 5 years now. Never once let me down and I use it quite often. Think I paid about $30 for it.

Comment

Milwaukee or Makita if you plan on doing a lot of heavy work. I beat the shyte out of these things on a daily basis as a pipefitter. You can buy one of the cheap ones if you only plan on using it a little bit around the house. I've had my personal Makita grinder for over 7 years now. With proper use and care they should last.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
              eh, I use a Jobmate (Canadian Tire brand) angle grinder that I've had for about 5 years now. Never once let me down and I use it quite often. Think I paid about $30 for it.
              Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
              Milwaukee or Makita if you plan on doing a lot of heavy work. I beat the shyte out of these things on a daily basis as a pipefitter. You can buy one of the cheap ones if you only plan on using it a little bit around the house. I've had my personal Makita grinder for over 7 years now. With proper use and care they should last.
              See here's the thing with you two, they're older 5+ years. He is buying stuff today. It's all JUNK. There is no quality anymore. Cheapest and fastest way to put out a product is today's new motto.

Comment

My red 4" Makita "for Home use only" (Made in Japan) is about 25 years old, still going strong when I need it. And I use it a lot in my shop.
                A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                  There is no quality anymore. Cheapest and fastest way to put out a product is today's new motto.
                  I think disposable is the word your looking for here!

I agree in most cases, however, if you shop around you can still find quality tools. You have to stay away from all these big name stores that only sell cheap disposable products. they sell cheap crap because it's the way to keep people coming back for the always on sale / cheap items every couple years/months.

For some reason people seem to feel good about saving a dime in the short term. When over the long term they end up spending more replacing the disposable items more often...... Eternal Consumption Society.... It's retarded that people do it this way.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

i bought my 4 1/2 inch black and decker from walmart....had no problems from it!

Comment

I've got a 2 year old dewalt, and I use the piss out of it. Been a good one so far for the heavy cutting. I also got a cheap hf grinder with a wire brush on it for cleaning wheel bead seats. With duct tape it's stayed to get her for 10 years and still going

Comment

I've been using Metabo angle grider for years and those are the better brand if you really are going to use them. They have less vibration in the handle if you care about that,

They are more expensive than most but if you can afford it, I would get those, If not Milwaukee tools is always good choice.

Comment

The last Black and Decker I had burst into flames while using it. LOL I have the video somewhere, it went out and we tried to use it again and it shoots out like 6" of fire. My friend got a grinder from Harbor Freight and you have to hold the case a certain way for it to turn on.

I'd go for Dewalt or Mikita.

Comment

my cornwell has never done me wrong....
                            SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192457

Comment

Harbor Freight, just pick one that says it has bearings in it rather than bushings.

Comment

Working...
                              X