No announcement yet.

07 AV6-6 vs 1G TSX vs E39 540i/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom just traded in her 05 Outback that she had for the past decade or so. She loved that car. It started falling apart, but it treated her very well for the majority of the time she had it. Subaru makes solid machines.

Do your research on that particular model before committing. They do have some things that can be extremely costly if ignored, neglected, or carelessly modified. Be sure you know what to look for. If it checks out, it's definitely not a bad idea at all!

I'm still all for the TSX, largely for the sake of familiarity and simplicity. With the TSX, you basically know what to expect. No turbo, no AWD... just a good ol' reliable FWD Honda product. In some ways, I feel the TSX is a factory version of what many of us have tried to build with our CB7s.

Comment

I'm actually driving my dad's 02 Outback for the moment. Nice car but so boring to drive. I literally don't have any want to tackle the on ramps or scoot along in traffic lol.

The guy said lowering springs and Cobb. No sir. Still is a very clean car. I will be contacting the guy about the TSX.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Yeah, the Outback is boring, and can't get out of its own way!
        Smart move avoiding anything modified. You definitely don't want to rely on a car that someone tinkered with.

Comment

The Outback XT with an EJ255 and 5-speed manual with 4.44:1 gears is not uninspiring, that's for sure. It accelerates too quickly. You're out of first gear almost instantly.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

TSX will do you well... won't take much to make it "the ultimate CB7" either. $2-3K should be able to buy most of the performance parts you would need for a street car (reflash, I/H, springs/shocks, brake pads, tires) and it will be fun

I still think the 8th gen Si is worth a second look. If you are lukewarm about the interior it will grow on you- ergonomically it works well. Obviously not as nice as a TSX but with leather and navigation not far off if you can find it. Engine is an acquired taste.... I prefer the more natural feeling R18 even with the 40HP deficit but between the TSX and CSi the CSi will mop the floor with the TSX. ~400lb less curb weight is also huge for dynamics as is the CSi's OEM LSD and their interiors are about the same size. Comes down to what you want but it def would pay to check out both IMO. I was a little disappointed with the CSi but that is just my weird taste... I am still glad I drove it.

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

The CSi never really interested me, but most people I know that have had one have loved it. It's a good car (especially if you can find an unmolested one... not terribly easy to do). The Civic in general just lost me when the changed the shape. Most certainly worth a look, though.

The TSX is to me a fantastic combination of luxury and sport. Not the best at either, but a good mix of both.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                The TSX is to me a fantastic combination of luxury and sport. Not the best at either, but a good mix of both.
                Pretty much what the CB is/was. I test drove one today, but it needs paint work and the clutch is a bit off. The guy said he'll take 6500 for it in its current condition. I can find a mint one for a few hundred more.

I also tested an IS300. Awesome car for spirited driving, but the interior is plasticity and has that Toyota dash thing going on. The 2JZ really pulls down low compared to the K24 in these cars. Not saying much because they are both pretty slow stock lol. The TSX feels better to wind out and drive hard without breaking the law too much. It's a really solid piece of machinery for what it is.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

IS300 is a really cool car, but it needs a little work to truly be fun. My friend has one (uslspct on here.) The engine sounds absolutely amazing. It's not terribly fast, but the throttle response is sharp. Suspension is super soft for what it is, though. I suppose Lexus was trying to focus more on comfort than sport, and they kinda missed the mark on both. If you go that route, which isn't a terrible idea, you should definitely look into an upgraded suspension. Keep in mind, though... repairs are going to be Lexus prices, as it has no Toyota equivalent... aside from the engine, which is in the Supra... which outprices ANY Lexus of the same era.

If you can get a TSX that needs paint work, Maaco is cheap. The Maaco by me painted my CB7, and it was beautiful for years. Honestly, it was still impressive nearly a decade later, when the car was smashed! Clutch work... depends on what it actually needs. New clutch can be a good bit of work, as can hydraulics. Those are good bargaining points. I'd offer that dude $5000 and see what he says!

Comment

The one I tested had Tein coilovers which firmed up the ride I'm sure. But it was too damn low. I can't properly or confidently drive a car that's too low. Speaking of clutches, the one in that car and the shifter was not natural to use. I've been spoiled by Honda and their transmissions.

The IS is out. Wife says it's too small, plus she really likes the TSX, too.

I'd have to find a good MAACO around here. I've heard that their performance varies pretty wildly from place to place. The seller is going to adjust the clutch and I'll give her a retest tomorrow. If all goes well, I will be a TSX owner. It even comes with a little sound system and an intake. The perfect two mods, imo.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

You could probably find someone to trade the suspension for stock stuff, honestly. And HOPEFULLY the clutch is good. That can be scary.

I'm looking for a Miata now, and I WILL NOT buy one that has a modified suspension. It's scary how stupid people can be with that!

Good luck with the TSX. I hope you land a good one! I think it's a good choice (obviously... I've said it over and over again. )

Comment

what about an 06-08 TL 6speed? I know it might be at the upper end of your budget but you might find one.
                        Last edited by Losiracer2; 06-05-2016, 12:17 AM.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I thought about it, but everybody has a 3g TL. I like the exclusive-ness-ish of the TSX, plus it has an old school Honda vibe to it.

Update: couldn't get the silver TSX, but there is a black on black with Navi and aspec kit that I'll hopefully pick up tomorrow. Bone stock, not even an aftermarket intake. Very clean inside. The owner is a tech for one of the local Honda dealerships. He's selling because he wants something new. There are a few things it needs. He threw it on the lift so I could look at everything. Undercarriage is clean. Bushings look good. I'll test drive it tomorrow, and pull the trigger on this one if the drive checks out.

driver's axle boot is torn
                          CEL is on for cat converter I believe. It has current emissions.
                          New XTD clutch, but he says the throwout bearing is noisy
                          Black paint needs a good compounding and polish
                          Headlights need polish

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I had a noisy XTD throwout bearing. Then it seized, frying everything clutch-related.

If you buy it, swap that XTD garbage out ASAP! OEM Honda bearing and Exedy clutch!
                            Also, be wary of anything done by someone that would use an XTD clutch. To me, that just screams halfasser. We can smell our own.

Comment

Yes, and the fact that you are a Honda technician selling a car with minor problems that could be fixed on your lunch break was too big of a red flag.

I have made a purchase. It shall be posted soon.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

LOL I was just going to post that id suggest the Accord.

100 miles commuting with premium gas is a lot of wear and tear on an Acura but it is a Honda at the end of the day.

I do about 60 a day and I have a 13 Accord. If your budget was higher, id have suggested it.

A v6 6 speed 9th gen for sure.

Im assuming you picked up an Acura though.

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X