Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

E85 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E85 questions

Is it possible to reliable get a stock 93 tuned to e85. I'm not looking to go turboed or anything. It's just my wifes daily driver. But e85 is like a dollar cheaper here a gallon. And it's everyone here. I know I would have to change alot of stuff. Has it ever been done on a stock engine. If so how.

I will be changing to e85 (track use only), as it burns better, but 93 on street.
    I have a f22b dohc boosted tho.

Here is what will be needed:
    1. Fuel Pump: that supports e85 recommended. You can run stock, but it probably will die over time.

2. Fuel Filter: With that being said, I also swapped my fuel filter out to a earls fuel filter.
    This just makes it easier to clean or replace if needed.

3. A Chipped ecu and Tune: The tune is what is going to be your best bet,
    as the e85 burns differently and will need to be properly adjusted for how your engine is running.

Me personally, after setting my fuel filter up, we have a -AN fitting to dump the 93 out and wired the fuel pump to come on constant, but this is so I can switch between the two. I will be running e85 at the track and 93 during the normal. Of course obtaining e85 here is a pain.

So all depends in time and money, and how accessible a tuner is to you.
    I say for just a daily driver, stick with the 93, or hell if it is just that why not use 87?

Hope this helps.
    MadLab Racing
    Southern Maryland

Comment

Cause 87 is 3.60 a gallon and e85 is 2 bucks a gallon.

Comment

E85 only has about half the energy that is contained in petrol, so you are not saving money, if anything it will cause you to spend more just on fuel alone.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

as cloudasc said e85 has less power then gasoline, but it burns faster. So in the end you'll lose MPG by switching so you'll end up spending the same if not more by switching. If you do switch you also may need to increase your injector size as you will need to consume more fuel aswell.

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

I did not know that. I thought it got about the same MPG. Well thanks for all the helpful info guys. This thread dead ended quickly lol.

Comment

if you have an NA engine tuned on 93oct and you're not running out of injector or fuel pressure, you can easily swap to E85. Just take all your tuned fuel maps and add 30% and you will be close to where you need to be, but street tuning for part-throttle and WOT/ignition tuning on a Dyno will be necessary to get the most benefit.

You will get less mileage (though not 50% less) if you're trying to go 'green' and save a buck. However, if you're spending $7 a gallon on race fuel anyway, then E85 is a very cheap substitute for race fuel. You can easily have a tune for each and flash the ECU once the fuel's been swapped.

You do not need a new fuel pump. OE Honda will work for a long while. Changing the fuel filter as part of the regular service is a good idea anyway.

There are some that speculate that running E85 on an NA engine is not worth the effort but Grassroots Motorsports took a low-performance 1.8l Miata and retuned it on a variety of fuels including Race fuel and E85. On E85 it picke up 5% peak power at WOT. I suggest you look up the article:

HTH.

-P
              VTEC G27? = ???whp ???wtq
              VTEC G23 = 220whp 191wtq
              nonVTEC G23 = 200whp 183wtq
              K24 iVTEC hybrid = 260whp 210wtq

Comment

Working...
              X