Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

How much did you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much did you pay?

Ok I have a chipped p28. I have a h22 with deleted IAB and deleted EGR. I also have a CAI and a 2.75 inch exhaust. I have a p13 but I wanna get my p28 tuned as it just has a base map. How much have you guys paid for a simple NA street tune? And do you know anyone in the missouri area that does it.

Originally posted by andrew22888 View Post
    Ok I have a chipped p28. I have a h22 with deleted IAB and deleted EGR. I also have a CAI and a 2.75 inch exhaust. I have a p13 but I wanna get my p28 tuned as it just has a base map. How much have you guys paid for a simple NA street tune? And do you know anyone in the missouri area that does it.
    KC has some pretty solid tuners.

$100/hour is reasonable

I tune my own shit.

Personally, I would call around and find a tuner familiar with your software rather than just hoping whatever tuner you find can use what you have. If you haven't purchased/installed software yet, maybe consult the tuner that will be tuning your car and keep that in mind when deciding on what route to go for the ecu management.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Most tuners won't always require you to purchase software, they will tune your car and burn the tune to a chip. Then install it in your already chipped P28. they may charge you $30-$50 for a license.

Expect to pay between $75-$100 an hour for tuning. Most tuning shops will have a rate for a complete dyno & street tune. IMO the most experienced tuners tune on the rollers and then they will also take it out and see what the vehicles street manners are like as well.

if you are looking for a local amateur street tuner to tuner your car for cheap. You should remember that the saying "you get what you pay for" is 100% true when it comes to your engine management system and tuning. Good engine management is key!
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the input ghost. I'm looking at going to a guy named tony in springfield,mo With springfield tuners. I have heard alot of good things. Just I was expecting a 100 or 150 for a street tune. He states it's gonna be 250 bucks. Thats when I was like sounds a little much to me. Thats why i'm looking for anyone else that may be a little more reasonable when it comes to price that has a good reputation. I can afford the 250 it just hurts my wallet thinking i'm paying that for a simple N/A tune with no DYNO time just a straight street tune.
        Last edited by andrew22888; 02-06-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

At that price range he should be spending 2-3 hrs street tuning your car. If he is any sort of a tuner you should have 0 issues with your engine after this tune.

Are you looking to do any sort of power adding mods in the near future...ie cam's, intake manifold mods or a race header? If you are you should wait and do the tune then. Run your P13 for now and tune after any big mods.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I have a no name header with full 2.75 inch exhaust no cat just a test pipe. I also have no IAB I used the spacer there instead. I also have EGR delete and a cold air intake. Basically my main thing I want done here is to have the EGR cel and the IAB cel turned off cause I hate having a cel light along with a reliable tune.

Comment

I see what you are saying... With the EGR and cat deleted the EGR and O2 CEL can hinder fuel economy as well as power. A proper tune will get rid of that for sure. Don't just go to that guy who will disable the codes for $100, that is not the proper way to do it. You should also change the ignition and fuel maps as well.

FYI, there is no CEL for the IAB system.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Hmm didn't know about the IAB having no cel. Why is that does the p28 not utilize the IAB system?

Comment

There is no CEL code for the intake air bypass system on any ECU. It is not considered a critical PGM-FI system.

That being said. The P28 does not have the ability to run the IAB circuit in stock form. In order to actually use IAB's with the P28 there are electronic components that have to be added to the ECU main board.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Since you don't have the funds at the moment, I'd def. wait and save up. To get rid of your code 12 (egr): have the valve itself plugged into the engine harness and have vacuum hooked up to it. Doesn't matter where the valve is, could be zip tied somewhere remotely (when block plate is being used). Then make sure you have your black emission box on the firewall all connected to the harness and vac. Your map sensor (also in black box) should be hooked up anyways. EDIT: as an example, LoDollar92LX was charging $200 for a street tune. This was 4-5 yrs ago, his rates may have gone up.
                    Last edited by Granite CB7; 02-06-2014, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I no longer have said black box. As the map is on the TB. I mean I have the money I just thought at 250$ I was getting ripped. He said since it's a simple tune he doesn't need to put it on the dyno. But I think if i'm paying the 250$ and it normally includes dyno. I would like to see what my dyno numbers are.
                      Last edited by andrew22888; 02-07-2014, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I no longer have said black box. As the map is on the TB. I mean I have the money I just thought at 250$ I was getting ripped. He said since it's a simple tune he doesn't need to put it on the dyno. But I think if i'm paying the 250$ and it normally includes dyno. I would like to see what my dyno numbers are.
                        So tell the tuner that.

Wouldn't you rather pay $300 now, or whatever he says in response and get your way than pay him $250 now, and never get what you really want?
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Ya thats what i'm discussing with him. He tells me he is 3 months out from doing my car as there is so many people ahead of me. This is my DD so I'll just have to rock the p13 for now. Also it has to be above 40 degrees he said.

Comment

Ya thats what i'm discussing with him. He tells me he is 3 months out from doing my car as there is so many people ahead of me. This is my DD so I'll just have to rock the p13 for now. Also it has to be above 40 degrees he said.
                            Id find a different tuner

Comment

Ya thats my plan is to find a different tuner. Just cause he is so busy. Guess i'm going to be make minimum 5 hour trip for a tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X