CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic > Computers and Video Games

Old 12-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #21
lbus9168
Contributing Member

lbus9168 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Kodi/ xbmc has apps for nearly Everytging but your right, the pi does limit you.

Id recommend doing as above, micro atx htpc setup, but somewhere hidden. Quad core is fine, htpc s don't need heaps of power.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #22
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
Well Mr. Deev posted a picture yesterday of his pi and it has an HDMI out...

I didn't realize they had HDMI out, so Ill investigate it more and see what I can do.

Whatever I get, I definitely want it hidden.
Ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #23
lbus9168
Contributing Member

lbus9168 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Then a pi is perfect they're the size of a stack of cards ezpz.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #24
HappyGilmore
AKA Gillymomo

HappyGilmore is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to HappyGilmore Send a message via MSN to HappyGilmore Send a message via Yahoo to HappyGilmore Send a message via Skype™ to HappyGilmore
Buy an Intel NUC and run Kodi Linux, or the distro that I built that has this in mind. Kodi has everything you are looking and modules you can add and if you are feeling crazy you can even play some games on it (mostly emulator, and there is a Steam module). They around 200~400$ depending on what kind of spec you are looking for. More power than a Pi (which isn't bad either) and is about the same size just taller (when the pi is encased). I really need to come around more often!
Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
92 LX Coupe F22A1
97 LX Wagon 5-Speed F22B2
92 EX Sedan F22A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)
HappyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #25
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy seems to have made some friends!
I have been doing this for years

I like a nice robust cabinet and at least an i3 processor. Main thing for video performance though is the video card, and then I think the next most important thing is RAM, once you have a good processor.

Something to consider is going 4K. I know you have your TV (I wish I had got one of the last plasmas!), but if you are going to build this you might want to future proof it and get a 4K card and a TV with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. I have some expenses coming up but I think I am going to take that leap since I need a TV to play Forza on.

As far as streaming between two rooms, connect the two computers to a wired switch. For uncompressed 1080P I don't think wifi has enough bandwidth. You can even take a junk computer and make it a little file server... connect that to the LAN and stream off of that. Then you can just have little nodes with good video cards, a decent amount of RAM and an SSD just big enough to run your OS and programs on in each room with a TV. Theres a lot of ways to skin it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #26
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
Right now it is between a NUC unit and a Mac mini.

Honestly I know Mac is overpriced and it really does not have anything that is leaps or bounds over a NUC or pc, but there are two main reasons for wanting a mac as an HTPC-

1. Time machine- Windows cannot hold a candle to this. I am sure other people do just fine with backing up and restoring but when my wife got her new MacBook and used time machine to restore her old machine to the new one, literally it was a fucking duplicate. Apple does make everything so simple so EVERYONE can use it and I am techy and can install OS from USB drives lol....so I can do a lot of shit, but certain things do not need to be complicated. With a mac mini, I don't have to worry about losses. It backups itself and then if anything goes fubar, it is easy peezee to restore it to the exact way it was.

2. I will be converting over to a mac household at some point. My wife ONLY uses mac stuff, and I have a MacBook and my desktop is a PC. It is starting to show its age and this is the time where I would tear it down and build it up again but Id rather just invest in an imac and be done with it. I don't game anymore and I just want the ease of use that macs provide and I don't need windows for anything anymore. I mostly browse the web, do school work, and edit pictures for my photography business. All of that can be done on a mac.

I am, however, leaning towards a NUC unit as I like the ability to customize it and as far as I know, Apple is discontinuing the mac mini so even though It can be upgraded, at some point it will be dead in the water and ill have to move on anyway.

And besides, since the NUC are Intel, I am sure I can run OSX on it if I really wanted too.

As far as 4k is concerned, this unit states that it supports 4k display
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC5i5RY...3&keywords=nuc

I am really not worried about it, as right now I obv do not have a 4k display and my plasma has only around 4-5k viewing hours so I am sure it has a bit of life left and I am trying to build a bare bones htpc for hundreds....don't really have 2-3k for a new tv haha.

And It might also be a gimmick like 3d. No networks display in 4k that I know of. So ill wait on that one. Bluray 1080p is more than enough for me.

When it comes to networking all the tvs, yea that is one way and you're right, more then one way to skin it-

I just want a direct connection to my Plasma as that is where we primarily watch tv and where my 5.1 system is....

the bedroom is a 47'' LED with no sound system.....so for that it would be streaming 720p or less......romcom, comedies, etc. So that is easy enough to stream to, esp with Plex. I just want to be able to play full 1080P files and have my tv as as the HTPC monitor so I don't have to bother with wireless or connectivity issues. I of course get the added bonus of browsing the web and maybe gaming although I wouldn't really because I have the PS3, Wii(with emulators), Sega, SNES, NES, and N64. LOL Got original systems na mean?

Last edited by Ralphie; 12-28-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #27
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member

BreckAConner is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbus9168 View Post
Kodi/ xbmc has apps for nearly Everytging but your right, the pi does limit you.

Id recommend doing as above, micro atx htpc setup, but somewhere hidden. Quad core is fine, htpc s don't need heaps of power.
Run Kodi/XBMC on a regular machine, then you have no limitations.
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #28
HappyGilmore
AKA Gillymomo

HappyGilmore is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to HappyGilmore Send a message via MSN to HappyGilmore Send a message via Yahoo to HappyGilmore Send a message via Skype™ to HappyGilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckAConner View Post
Run Kodi/XBMC on a regular machine, then you have no limitations.
Hence the NUC! It's a regular machine, it uses now a Skylake or Haswell desktop CPU and uses laptop RAM. I want like 6 of the damn things.
Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
92 LX Coupe F22A1
97 LX Wagon 5-Speed F22B2
92 EX Sedan F22A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)
HappyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #29
Ralphie
Stalker

I guess I should update-

I decided to cheap out and get an HDMI cable LMAO.

Since we are probably going to swap out my Windows desktop for an Imac in the next 6mos to a year, I figured I would wire my family room for HDMI and then just play from the imac when I get it. Itll be way more powerful than my 7 year old XPS machine.

So playing 1080P will be no problem. Instead of shelling out ~$400 for a machine that is going to sit in my entertainment system, I spent $50 and got a 75' run of HDMI with a signal booster. I hooked it up yesterday from my PC to my Denon and I got it configured and it is good. Picture quality is good and sound was good so now I just have to run it through my crawlspace and connect everything.

Then I need to bring my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse from home and set it up and see if the range will work so I can use it to browse instead of teamviewer LMAO.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #30
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
I picked up a Logitech K400r to control my computer on the TV (and now my Raspberry Pi.) It's a neat device. Fairly small, without being an annoying mini-keyboard. It has a touchpad, which is WAY easier than trying to use a mouse on my coffee table! The touchpad is pretty responsive, too. I've had it for months, and I regularly forget to switch it off when I'm done... and the batteries haven't quit yet!

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #31
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
I picked up this and have zero complaints! Minix Neo u1

Came with a free neo u2 remote too

Back of the remote

And as others mentioned with Kodi the sky is the limit! I'm running Plex server on my NAS and it is the server for Kodi for TV, Movies and other. Then of course there are the Kodi movie addons which the sky is the limit!
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #32
Ralphie
Stalker

Oh yea!

I ended up picking up an Amazon firestick. Loaded it up with kodi and some addons and it works pretty damn good.

I also use PLEX with some ext HDD to stream local media which works amazing.

Only issue is that the firestick has trouble with the wireless network as far as signal. Should have spent the extra money and got the fire tv as it accepts ethernet cable which I already ran for the ps3.

Oh well.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #33
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
I'm seriously digging that remote/keyboard thing!

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #34
Raf99
Gold Member

NAS + Plex + Minix + Kodi = awesome!

Only beef is that Kodi by default has no support for DVDs (browse DVD folder from Kodi), it will not play. And listed in their FAQ. Yet, I can use Minix to browse the LAN, go to the NAS, right click on a DVD folder and choose play with Kodi, and it works .

But ya, I've loaded Pheonix and tried a bunch of others. Digging it so far! But Kodi is the real hero here.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #35
Ralphie
Stalker

Ya so I returned my firestick as I had like 3 days to go before I could no longer return it.

Amazon was having a sale on the FireTV, $85.

So I returned the stick and picked up the Tv version.

Set it up last night. Night and day difference. It is quad core based and runs off of Ethernet.

I installed Kodi but have not configured it yet. I needed to get some sleep. I noticed It did not find my Plex server running through my Imac but that might be because it was not running. I just said F it and went to bed. Ill play with it more this week.

The only other major difference is that the firetv comes with "Alexa". Amazon's cloud based search version of Siri. It works pretty fucking good to be honest. I can say, "Alexa, prime music blues" and it will start streaming free blues music....

Or I can get the current weather, baseball stats, random facts, search for a specific actor or actress, or search for tv shows/movies. No more typing hahahaha.

Last edited by Ralphie; 04-11-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #36
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie View Post
Ya so I returned my firestick as I had like 3 days to go before I could no longer return it.

Amazon was having a sale on the FireTV, $85.

So I returned the stick and picked up the Tv version.

Set it up last night. Night and day difference. It is quad core based and runs off of Ethernet.

I installed Kodi but have not configured it yet. I needed to get some sleep. I noticed It did not find my Plex server running through my Imac but that might be because it was not running. I just said F it and went to bed. Ill play with it more this week.

The only other major difference is that the firetv comes with "Alexa". Amazon's cloud based search version of Siri. It works pretty fucking good to be honest. I can say, "Alexa, prime music blues" and it will start streaming free blues music....

Or I can get the current weather, baseball stats, random facts, search for a specific actor or actress, or search for tv shows/movies. No more typing hahahaha.
Just don't ask for bombs, sex toys or JFK records as that google speech service is translated by a 3rd party company. God only knows who is getting these records. :P
Old 04-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #37
Ralphie
Stalker

Yea, that's true.

They already listen to my phone calls so at this point I couldn't care less haha.

Did you check out all the skins for KODI?

I am using the NOVA Glass. Shit is nice.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #38
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie View Post
Yea, that's true.

They already listen to my phone calls so at this point I couldn't care less haha.

Did you check out all the skins for KODI?

I am using the NOVA Glass. Shit is nice.
I did , they are pretty nice!

I'll admit even for a tech guy, Kodi is pretty confusing. Besides loading Program Addons which get you Video add-ons (pheonix) I can't help but wonder what other streams/add-ons are out there.

and WHERE do these streams come from? I mean, there has to be a huge server farm somewhere to hold all these streams. I don't understand how so much video can be stored anywhere....
Old 04-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #39
Ralphie
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
I did , they are pretty nice!

I'll admit even for a tech guy, Kodi is pretty confusing. Besides loading Program Addons which get you Video add-ons (pheonix) I can't help but wonder what other streams/add-ons are out there.

and WHERE do these streams come from? I mean, there has to be a huge server farm somewhere to hold all these streams. I don't understand how so much video can be stored anywhere....
Nah its not one server farm, think of it as people sharing their personal stuff. At least that is how the DVR stuff works.

Other streams come from private servers.

While other stuff comes from scene groups.

Its a mish mash of stuff.

But yea it is pretty involved. I have to set it all up again as I spent a few hours getting my amazon stick setup and now have to do the same with the amazon tv lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: