Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

timing belt issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you took the washer type thing on the crank that keeps the belt in place, you probably didn't put it back on correctly. It's concaved to hold the belt on, but if put on backwards it can rip the belt to shreds. Thats what it sounds like to me.
    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

just to make sure that the cam and the crank are able to turn.

click to see my ride
      click to check out my bb6 dash swap

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry View Post
        When you took the washer type thing on the crank that keeps the belt in place, you probably didn't put it back on correctly. It's concaved to hold the belt on, but if put on backwards it can rip the belt to shreds. Thats what it sounds like to me.
        Oh snap, forgot about that...very likely considering the belt damage
        ____

Comment

What "washer type thing?" are you talking about--I don't remember one on my car and you're making me worried as I recently redid my t.b. though the belt has not shredded so far.

From the outside in, there's a the big crankshaft pulley bolt and key, then a thick washer, then the timing belt pulley, then the balance shafts pulley, then the crankshaft is bare as I remember it. I don't remember any "concave washer thing". There's a lip on the crankshaft pulley on one side of it, which I placed so it was on the inside--so you can slide the timing belt on and off the pulley--but that's the only way you can install it and still see the markings on the pulley. Is that what you're talking about?

Clarification is eagerly appreciated!~
          Last edited by batever; 05-28-2009, 10:20 AM.

Comment

There are belt guides the go infront and behind the crank pully. One stays on because you have to pull the crank pully off to get to it. The other comes off before the timing belt. If they are not on the belt could possibly move around. If both are off then the crank pully is probably out of alignment and thus would cauce belt wear. For it to shread there has to be contact somewhere. It could have been over tightened but there would have been noise from the cams etc. I would be worried about bent valves at this point. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by low-keyseg92 View Post
              There are belt guides the go infront and behind the crank pully. One stays on because you have to pull the crank pully off to get to it. The other comes off before the timing belt. If they are not on the belt could possibly move around. If both are off then the crank pully is probably out of alignment and thus would cauce belt wear. For it to shread there has to be contact somewhere. It could have been over tightened but there would have been noise from the cams etc. I would be worried about bent valves at this point. Good luck.
              I don't know, I just looked at my blowup from the Accord shop manual and it doesn't show any belt guides anywhere on the crank pulley or balance shafts pulley (except ones that are machined into the pulley itself, in the case of the balance shaft pulley). But what I do see is what I think they were talking about: behind the timing belt tensioner pulley mounting bolt there is a concave washer/spring that should be concaved *away* from the belt when installed. If it were installed convex, the edge of it could easily knife the belt I see.

Comment

Im guessing there are no guides then on the crank pully for the F series motor. I have never seen a guide on the tensioner of a Honda car but that dont mean there is not one. If you think that could be the problem then look in the manual and see if it is installed properly. Either way the belt was able to move around enough to get cut/worn.Ill check my manual when I get home in the morning, I cant picture it now.

Comment

AAANG...wrong...

the f series has a big washer type thing...think it has hole around the edges, that is concaved, and goes on the crank
                  ____

Comment

I was thinking it did. Every Honda engine I have ever seen did. I have more exp. with B and D series tho. What if someone put the washer that goes on the crank on the tensioner instead........I dont think it would even fit. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry View Post
                      just check what the man said, then comment
                      ____

Comment

Working...
                      X