Ingalls camber kit, balljoint-fail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ingalls camber kit, balljoint-fail.

I personally always taunted deevergote about him saying that the press in style camber balljoint kits are bad. He basically claimed that it can harm the structual stability of the spot where it Is pressed in. Im not saying he is right, just yet =)

This set was bought with the arm and the balljoint kit pressed in, and has probably been in use for a very long time. I think the previous owner of the kit had it for 15k, and I had it for at least 5 years.

This was on a car that ran agx struts, and eibach prokit springs. My dad drives this and its a easy driver 50 miles a day commute.

He started having a wobbling issue at most speeds a few weeks back. I thought it was the wheel balance, but I uncoverd this today.

I did trim the edges (which im wondering if it lead to the instability of it), but this is pics of both the left and right side. IF you look closley they started to crack in the same area. These pics were taken at exactly the same time. I checked the suspension a few months back and never seen any of these cracks, only to tell me its more recent.

I put some whiteout where the crack lies.

Comparison, on how much metal I took off. This is a new aftermarket arm, not sure if they are the same as oem metal size wise.

Both identical where they cracked

Now I personally put a few of these type of kits in, and I know les shawb puts them in as well. I havent seen anyone with this issue, but when I put them in, I hammer it out with a good hit, and when I put them in, I freeze the fitting so it shinks, then sometimes I heat the metal on the arm, then I slightly press it in...tap it well with a hammer, then use the bolt to pull it in the rest of the way.

So now I want to know what caused this issue. Was it truely the balljoint that was pressed into it that caused it, or was it me grinding at the edges that weakened it even more?

I hope that everyone takes a look at theirs more often.

EDIT: It seems as though me grinding it down might of been the issue. But I know there are those on here who done the same cause they were slammed.
    Last edited by accordztech; 06-29-2011, 02:12 AM.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

I had this argument with Deev in another thread, I told him that pressed the BJ's into an upper arm is no different than buying the entire assembly already done from TAS, he was saying its somehow different, even tho they have to go thru the same process.
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I think it was the grinding that weakened its structural stability
      I took a hammer to the edges, it mushroomed it in but still keeping all the metal there.
      I don't know much about bj style camber kits but I have recently had new balljoints pressed in my old arms.
      I don't see anything wrong with it
      -Tyler

Comment

you know what funny, i changed my brothers camber kit yesterday. and there was a hair line crack about a 1/2" long, so must likely this will happen to him also.

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord View Post
          you know what funny, i changed my brothers camber kit yesterday. and there was a hair line crack about a 1/2" long, so must likely this will happen to him also.
          what do you mean? He already had a crack with the oem balljoint? Details please.
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

press them in? Ive never have had to do that with the similar SPC ones. didnt know the ingall ones had to be pressed in.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
            01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
            93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
            93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

It doesn't take much to "press" them in. A couple taps with a hammer gets them in, so it isn't really pressed.

Was the top of the nut/bolt banging against the fender well on bumps? I'm thinking that would weaken it.

My swap thread
              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                It doesn't take much to "press" them in. A couple taps with a hammer gets them in, so it isn't really pressed.

Was the top of the nut/bolt banging against the fender well on bumps? I'm thinking that would weaken it.
                No its not slammed, im on a prokit drop.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post

I took a good look today, there is some residual marks under there, and I remember when I hit curb bumps hard (on purpose) it would bang. However it was never the passenger side, only the drivers side. They both showed marks. Im pretty sure it was due to the worn out control arm bushings "squish crunch sound" on bumps.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                    what do you mean? He already had a crack with the oem balljoint? Details please.
                    no he has the upper control cracking, like above in the pics

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord View Post
                      no he has the upper control cracking, like above in the pics
                      wow. Did he trim it like me?

Retro!

Hater

Comment

the press ons nor bolt on will cause this problem.

the OEM joints are pressed in ball joints...the a-arms are not so brittle that pressing will hurt them...your friend did something to those arms...did you say they were trimmed? yeah THAT is your problem.

press ins are bad because they come out VERY easily. I had my brand new press in (and snap ring) joints pop out on a bump.

the bolt ons are superior by all means...again...your friend did something...the ball joints are not the cause.
                        ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                          the press ons nor bolt on will cause this problem.

the OEM joints are pressed in ball joints...the a-arms are not so brittle that pressing will hurt them...your friend did something to those arms...did you say they were trimmed? yeah THAT is your problem.

press ins are bad because they come out VERY easily. I had my brand new press in (and snap ring) joints pop out on a bump.

the bolt ons are superior by all means...again...your friend did something...the ball joints are not the cause.
                          So you had new press in style balljoints put into a oem? I never heard of that, I think the balljoint with a snap ring is just for an aftermarket arm that can take it.

WHen I put in SPC balljoint kit into my friends accord, they werent going anywhere. Plus it was torqued to 120 ft/lbs.

Looking back, I dont know why I trimmed it. I think I was trying to duplicate my arm with the anchor type bolts when I recieved it. Im thinking about using my balljoint camber kit in my brothers car, but welding on additional metal as well.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I may be totally off but with that kind of balljoint camber kit, I think trimming the outer part of the arm is a bad idea. The balljoint itself (like the actual joint where it meets the knuckle) will be sitting farther out than an OEM balljoint and is probably putting a lot more stress on the outer lip of the arm. So instead of the balljoint stud being centered in the hole, the Ingalls stud sits almost centered to the edge of the arm.

I have the anchor type kit with aftermarket replacement balljoint (Altrom to be exact) in an oem arm. I shaved the outer metal for added clearance (probably about the same amount as in your pic) and mine have been fine for over 6-7 years.

I think if you use the same kit in a nonshaved arm, you'll be fine. Shaving it down doesn't do anything for you anyways as the arm sits in the same spot as oem so there really isn't a reason it'll hit the inner fender.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                              I had this argument with Deev in another thread, I told him that pressed the BJ's into an upper arm is no different than buying the entire assembly already done from TAS, he was saying its somehow different, even tho they have to go thru the same process.
                              OEM ones are installed once... I'm sure with proper machinery, not whacked in by a guy with a bench vise and a big hammer.

This involves pressing those out, pressing in the new ones, and introducing the added stress of a camber adjustment. Yes, that thin band of metal will be weakened, and then put under added stress. What do you expect?

Comment

Working...
                              X