Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

forbidden shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forbidden shifters

anyone have forbidden shifters? i just went to their site and it seems they dont have them for our years. maybe the 4th gen ludes or cb5 will fit? idk but it seem to make your shifts feel better in general. anyone have one? and is it worth that money?

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
    My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
    Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

you might want to look at this post....http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152703

i was thinking of doing this, but i have a neuspeed short shift adapter already.

Comment

They've NEVER made them for the CB. People use the Prelude shifter.

$3 at Home Depot will acomplish the same thing, really. I'm not a fan of short shifters. They made my shifting notchy. It was much better with the stock throw. A short shift is no good if you have to struggle to get it in gear...

Comment

I think people need to stop telling others to do the DIY short throw shifter! I tried it myself, it sucks! Very notchy and tight! I also noticed that part of the reason for this was that the cable was rubbing against the top of the center console, even if you set the bracket as low as possible on the shifter. Yea its cool cuz it costs you 5 bucks in parts at home depot, but IMO its just a waste of time. The only way it works decently is if you don't use a center console.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmjimmy22 View Post
          I think people need to stop telling others to do the DIY short throw shifter! I tried it myself, it sucks! Very notchy and tight! I also noticed that part of the reason for this was that the cable was rubbing against the top of the center console, even if you set the bracket as low as possible on the shifter. Yea its cool cuz it costs you 5 bucks in parts at home depot, but IMO its just a waste of time. The only way it works decently is if you don't use a center console.
          That's kinda of how the forbidding is also. You have to have it on the lowest setting or it rubs.
          Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
          Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
          Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
          Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
          Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
          Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by jdmjimmy22 View Post
            EVERY short shifter rubs. It's due to the relocation of the cables on the lever... and that is the SOLE PURPOSE of the short shifter. That's all they do. They relocate the cable mounting points. That's it. No fancy shifter is going to do anything more than relocate the mounting points. The only difference is that the fancy ones may be weighted differently than stock, which can affect things a bit... but shortening the throw is nothing more than moving the mounting points.

I think people should learn what they're talking about before saying what they think other people should do.

Comment

Yeah I had a thing with the DIY brackets and the cables rubbing on the shifter console, but that comes along with it..so try looking into the DIY, unless you really want to source a forbidden unit.

life is good.

Comment

I did a DIY short shifter with a battery clamp, and it is currently on my car. Though, you do have to do some things to make it fit and not rub on the center console.
                So that it doesn't rub on the center console, you have to remove the metal bracket that hold the stick shift's fabric cover on the center console. Then I just used a couple of screws to keep the fabric in place.
                I also grinned the cubed screw thingy that hold the shifter cable in place, so that again, it doesn't rub with the center console.

The DIY short shifter... well, it gets the job done, the shifts really are shorter. Though, I did notice that it feels bit stiffer. But that's what happens when you put the shift cables a little more above than where they are supposed to be.

I'm not really saying that you should do a DIY one though, its totally up to you.
                Accord 93 LX: H23 intake mani, Ebay short ram, P12 ecu, Full exhaust. Lots of noise... and that's about it, just noise. LOL
                Mazdapeed MX-5 04: Begi Intake, Forge BOV, Ebay FMIC. Whoooooooosh... Phhhff!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  EVERY short shifter rubs. It's due to the relocation of the cables on the lever... and that is the SOLE PURPOSE of the short shifter. That's all they do. They relocate the cable mounting points. That's it. No fancy shifter is going to do anything more than relocate the mounting points. The only difference is that the fancy ones may be weighted differently than stock, which can affect things a bit... but shortening the throw is nothing more than moving the mounting points.

I think people should learn what they're talking about before saying what they think other people should do.
                  I'm not TELLING anybody what to do. Did you notice I said "IMO"!! And its not rocket science how a short shifter works! I'm well aware of the fact that placement of the cables causes the throw to change! I'm also well aware of the fact that aftermarket short throw shifters also do the same thing, cuz I tried one. They all rub! That's the point I'm making! Ok so I'm glad we cleared that up bossman!

Comment

There's a guy that's making a custom shifter modeled after the Forbidden SS. You'll need a Prelude 92-96 Shifter though for it to work. He wants 100 shipped for his unit. Its actually pretty good in design. Check it out here:
                    http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322496

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
                      Yeah I had a thing with the DIY brackets and the cables rubbing on the shifter console, but that comes along with it..so try looking into the DIY, unless you really want to source a forbidden unit.
                      Exactly! Its not a direct plug and play thing. You have to do some modifacations for it to work. IMO I would rather spend $4.00 on a part than $100.00 on a part that does the exact same thing.I would use the $96.00 left over for a steering wheel quick release adapter or something like that.

Originally posted by shadowdlink View Post
                      I did a DIY short shifter with a battery clamp, and it is currently on my car. Though, you do have to do some things to make it fit and not rub on the center console.
                      So that it doesn't rub on the center console, you have to remove the metal bracket that hold the stick shift's fabric cover on the center console. Then I just used a couple of screws to keep the fabric in place.
                      I also grinned the cubed screw thingy that hold the shifter cable in place, so that again, it doesn't rub with the center console.

The DIY short shifter... well, it gets the job done, the shifts really are shorter. Though, I did notice that it feels bit stiffer. But that's what happens when you put the shift cables a little more above than where they are supposed to be.

I'm not really saying that you should do a DIY one though, its totally up to you.
                      ^^Nailed it

Comment

Originally posted by plee3 View Post
                        Exactly! Its not a direct plug and play thing. You have to do some modifacations for it to work. IMO I would rather spend $4.00 on a part than $100.00 on a part that does the exact same thing.I would use the $96.00 left over for a steering wheel quick release adapter or something like that.

^^Nailed it
                        IMO, I wouldn't cheap out on something as crucial as a shifter that controls your transmission Not to mention it gives you 3 shift profile options, 10, 40 and 75% shorter than stock. Does this "Lowes racing ghetto shifter mod" do that NO.

The guy custom designed it on a CAD program. Its also weighs twice as much as the stock prelude shifter, so the shifts will feel more secure. Thats what you're paying the 100 bucks for. Plus, not to mention, this shifter has no slop like a ghetto one would have. Its one solid unit. Just like the strut tower bars...would you rather have one that is hinged and flexes like the ebay ones?, or one unit that stays solid? your call.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          IMO, I wouldn't cheap out on something as crucial as a shifter that controls your transmission Not to mention it gives you 3 shift profile options, 10, 40 and 75% shorter than stock. Does this "Lowes racing ghetto shifter mod" do that NO.

The guy custom designed it on a CAD program. Its also weighs twice as much as the stock prelude shifter, so the shifts will feel more secure. Thats what you're paying the 100 bucks for. Plus, not to mention, this shifter has no slop like a ghetto one would have. Its one solid unit. Just like the strut tower bars...would you rather have one that is hinged and flexes like the ebay ones?, or one unit that stays solid? your call.
                          I understand where you are comming from. Im sure that the forbidden shifter is the S@IT! Hell, I want one! LOL!! IMO, if your not racing at the track on a regular basis, spending $100 on an item that only shortens the throw of the gear shifter is pretty worthless to me. I would rather spend the money on another modifacation.I use my car strictly as a daily driver. Im not into the racing scene. If I was into the racing scene, the Forbidden Shifter just might be on my mod list.
                          Last edited by plee3; 01-28-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

It moves the mounting points. End of story. That's all it does.

The shifter is linked to the transmission through cables... rather than direct-acting rods like in other cars. For that reason, there will always be some "slop" in the shifter.

If you properly secure a "ghetto" shifter in the proper location (unlike the $100 shifter, you have an infinite number of positions), there will be no slop unless your bushings are shot... and you'll be using those with the new shifter anyway.

The weight is the only difference, and I have heard that it's noticeable.,.. but that's about it. I wouldn't pay $100 for it. In fact, I prefer my stock shifter.

Comment

Working...
                            X