Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

First post, looking for advice about buying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post, looking for advice about buying.

Sorry if this is covered, but I guess I'm just looking for advice.

1) I need to find my own car before winter hits (currently borrowing my brother's while he drives his camaro)

2) I found a '93 Accord, 148k miles on Craigslist listed for a very affordable price and I'm going out tonight to look at it.

3) I spoke with the seller on the phone, he stated that he hasn't had the car for too long, but he recently drove it out of state and back with no issues. I don't believe he has any service records for it.

4) The most concerning red flag here: He indicated that the CEL is on but does not have a computer and has not had it checked. I'm planning on attempting to read the code using the paperclip method.

So, basically, I guess what I'm looking for advice on is;

What code should absolutely deter me from making the purchase?
    What else is good to check when looking at a vehicle like this?

At an asking price of $950, if the car were to last me a year, I'd consider it well worth it. Should I even bother checking the frame, and if so, what should I be looking for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, here are some of the pictures from the ad. The car shows some rust near the driver side rear wheel well (and another red flag, no shots taken from the passenger side of the vehicel) but doesn't look too bad:

Comment

Originally posted by Yulath View Post
      What code should absolutely deter me from making the purchase?
      What else is good to check when looking at a vehicle like this?

Should I even bother checking the frame, and if so, what should I be looking for?
      Hey welcome to cb7!

So let's address the specific questions in your post-

A) There really is no "code" that is a be all end all as far as a deterent. This is more a personal decision. How much are you willing to spend to get the light fixed and how much are you willing to do yourself.

These cars are notorious for being easy to work on, and pretty much any info you would need is right here on this forum.

I.e. if the CEL leads you to a head gasket problem, are you willing to put in time and money to fix that? That is usually a big deterent, and while not the easiest thing to fix, its far from impossible for the layman mechanic who does his reading here and puts the time in.

It could also just be a bad O2 sensor or MAF sensor. Very easy to fix.

Maybe just the ECU is bad...

Without knowing your limits and the CEL, it's hard to give an appropriate answer.

B) A vehicle of this age requires a good looksie. This model has a few things to look out for, such as rear quarter panel rust, faulty main relay wiring, countershaft seals http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=16228, but its not EVERY model.

Definitely take a look inside the valve cover and check the condition of the motor oil. Take a wiff, does it smell funky or burnt? Check the fluids all around, are they all up to par or are one or more low?

A vehicle driven around with low fluids could have other issues lurking.

Does it idle ok? Around 750 I believe...

Start right up?

Is it auto or manual? How does it shift? Clutch engages?

Steering is straight?

Id also pop open the spark plug tubes and check for oil....if there is oil in any, then the seals need to be replaced as well as the vc gasket most likely.

Compression tests can tell you a lot about the condition of the motor.

I think some places do them for free. Autozone does ignition/battery/starter testing for free.

Does the cabin smell of mold or mildew? Maybe a sign of water damage. No matter what, you should still run a carfax to make sure it's not salvage etc.

Tires/ brakes? Drums/disc? Are they needing replacement?

Exhaust? Rotted? New? Don't forget the Catalytic converter.

Do you have emissions testing or saftey checks in your city? If so, when did it last pass...will it now?

That are the good ones to check-

As far as the frame, I always give it a good look. Easy ways to tell without putting it on a lift, is to make sure body panels line up. At this age, it is possible some may not but that isn't necessarily a sign of frame damage.

Best to put it up and get underneath and give a good look with someone who has experience with that.

See if they will let you take it to a mechanic you trust and have them give it a once over....

That's all I can think of.

Post back and let us know how it goes!

Here is the link to the most important beginners tech info -

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158531
      Last edited by Ralphie; 09-16-2014, 01:29 PM.

Comment

From the pictures- besides the rust, it looks clean.

Def go check it out- the missing passenger side shots may just be bad selling practices, but it's good you're thinking in that way. It could be hiding something!

Comment

Too many considerations here .. one you already mentioned is the obvious rust.
          I wouldn't touch it . BUT, you don't mention what "affordable" is.

I was going to find the cel code list we hhad here .. wtf happened to it Deev?
          I searched *CEL code* .. and I normally search *titles only* and then search for an old thread I recognize
          then open it and scroll down quickly till I find the member that post the *link.*
          It's red and catches my eye .. and so .. yeah .. wtf am I doing wrong all of a sudden? Or have we lost it in several server dumps?

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Hey,

Sorry, should've mentioned the price. Affordable for me is about $1000 in my present situation, and he's got it listed for $950.

As far as major deterrents go;

CEL could indicate a bad catalytic converter, right? Which from what I've seen would be somewhere in the region of $2000, which I would not want.

Basically, if it's going to cost me more than half of what I paid for it to fix right off the bat or else risk something major going wrong, I'm probably not going to want it. If it's something like an O2 sensor, that's not too bad and I'd be willing to go for it.

I do live in an area where a CEL = automatic fail, and I'd have about 3 months to get it fixed before I could no longer get temporary plates.

While I'd like to get a perfect car with nothing wrong with it, it just simply isn't possible right now, and unfortunately I cannot wait too much longer to wait for something better.

Basically, my goal is to try and figure out with the best of my knowledge:

1) Is the car going to fall apart within the next 3-6 months?
            2) Is the CEL something that I'll be able to afford in reasonable time to get fixed? (I know you guys can't answer this for me until we know what the code is -- the reason I bring it up is because while I know a bad catalytic converter will be unreasonable to pay for to have done, I don't really know what else the CEL will tell me that will also be too expensive)

I should also point out that while I don't consider myself a total idiot when it comes to cars, I don't have the tools or the experience to fix probably anything myself. I'd like to think I'm somewhat decent at at least figuring out what the issue is, but beyond that, I'm lost.

Another major problem I think I have is this;

It's a running car for less than 1k. It also happens to be a Honda, which is obviously a highly sought after name. I'm honestly surprised he's had it longer than the 2 days it's been listed; deals like this usually go like wildfire.

I'm pretty much going to have to make him an offer on it after I look at it tonight, and I don't have an experienced mechanic to come out and look at it with me, so I'm basically just trying to see what I can figure out by myself so I can make a decision tonight.
            Last edited by Jarrett; 09-16-2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

This is all going to depend on what code(s) you're getting. I wish someone would chime in with the codes ..
              this is from Honda tech .. hope it helps ..
              http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-1...codes-2630683/

Also IMHO, he's asking too much .. and there is no way that a cat should cost 2k.
              I did mine a couple years ago, and it cost 120 bucks, including installation.

I'd knock him down a bit for rust and codes alone .. Hopefully others chime in on this.

Comment

No code would deter me from purchasing it.

For $950 it doesn't look too bad. It's not wrecked and it's a 92/93 which to me is a big plus.

It's "low miles" which is good.

The seller saying he hasn't owned it forever and he doesn't know a lot about it generally means he is being honest. Which would lead me to believe he in fact did drive it the distance(s) he claims. Which is good.

I would check the code before buying it just so you know what to expect. Although with it running I wouldn't worry too much about it until you get it home. Here is the code thread PakaloloHonda was referring to.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=21259

The most I have ever paid for a CB is $600. I would politely ask if he would take $850. I know it's not a big knock off but being a busniess man myself, asking for $100 off on a car is not disrespectful. I also would not give a reason why it's not worth $950. IMO that's called tire kicking. I would simply ask "Would you take $850 for it?" After you have thoroughly looked at it if course.

EDIT... The only thing that would deter me is title issues.
                Last edited by H311RA151N; 09-16-2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Yeah Josh, it is a low mile CB .. and I'm sure it's an easy cell code remedy whatever it is.
                  But that rust has to knock it down atleast a notch.
                  There's also more then meets the eye there, I'm sure of it.

Love to see the engine bay .. and some interior ..

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                    Yeah Josh, it is a low mile CB .. and I'm sure it's an easy cell code remedy whatever it is.
                    But that rust has to knock it down atleast a notch.
                    There's also more then meets the eye there, I'm sure of it.

Love to see the engine bay .. and some interior ..
                    Most definitely. Actually the rust is very similar to mine it's just mine has been cut out and fiber-glassed over. To have it professionally repaired the cost is $1500... per side! Or that's what I was quoted. And there is a lot of rust that's unseen like you said and there is likely rust in other places as well.

I too would like to see the bay and interior. It's got a grey interior which is cool if it's in good shape.

I'm kinda anxious to hear back from this cat and see if he got it or not.

If he got it I'm going to bet it's a code for an O2 sensor. But that's awful bold of me to say.

Comment

Funny how everybody differs in their opinions.

I would be afraid of the rust personally. That would require me to pay somebody to fix it. Which In my mind means more money.

I recently bought a gmc truck with a CEL and no body damage, except one area that I knew I could buff out with some polish and my polisher.

I Don't know your abilities. But that price is seems cheap. I can never find wrecked CB7 for that price.

If it drives well, no clunking. And idles well. No troubles with acceleration. I would consider it If I knew somebody that could do body work.

Parts for these cars are cheap and plentiful. So replacing stuff should be easy.

steve

Comment

Yeah Stoner, I guess it's cuz we have so many out here .. "dime a dozen."
                        And yeah Josh lol .. I'll say Code 8-4 ...

Comment

You can drive the thing rusted out. And what a better car to buy when you really need one other than a CB? Like said, difference in preferences. Different reason in purchasing too. It sounds to me like the dude is needing a ride pretty bad. In that case I think he's on the right track. Idk where he lives, but with a little skill/experience you can navigate the old CB's pretty well through some impressive amounts of snow. And with the addition of some tall and narrow studded snow tires on the front the things are beasty in the poor winter weather.

EDIT... Last winter I was plowing at stock height.

And with the addition of an OEM block heater they make a real sweet winter rig. Which mine has of course.
                          Last edited by H311RA151N; 09-16-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                            Here is the code thread PakaloloHonda was referring to.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=21259
                            btw, how the f did you find that Josh? I typed in Cel Code and searced by titles.
                            I even looked in the stickies. Onoes .. deev is gonna make me nubie again ..

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                              btw, how the f did you find that Josh? I typed in Cel Code and searced by titles.
                              I even looked in the stickies. Onoes .. deev is gonna make me nubie again ..
                              What I do is go to google and type in "CB7" and then what I'm looking for. I never ever use the search function. The search bar is kinda crappy but I know Deev is aware of it. It doesn't bother me one bit actually. Google is just a new tab away. Most of the time I have multiple tabs open anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X