Advice needed on car security system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed on car security system

I am looking for advice on an automotive security system. I currently have an OEM security system, but that was a system designed in 1990. It's very primitive. I've never purchased an aftermarket system, and a lot of the components that I see in others' cars and the cars at the junkyards make me feel like a lot of it is crap. Maybe it works well, but the brains and remote fobs seem to be cheaply made.

There are three things I think an alarm system should be capable of in 2016.

It should have the ability to interface with my phone allowing me to use my phone as my remote. I don't want to carry something around that looks like a Tamagotchi pet.

It should allow me to check status and lock my car from a remote location. If I leave my car in a parking lot and drive with friends halfway across the country, I should be able to lock my car from 1000 miles away.

I should also be able to track my car's location. GPS tracking isn't that crazy of a technology, even though most companies seem to treat it like it is. I once had my car illegally towed and the posted information in the lot was not current. So I couldn't find the company that towed the car until two days later! Something like this would prevent that from happening.

I've searched around a bit and can see that at least some of what I want is out there. I just can't seem to find it all in one unit. What I listed off are things that everyone purchasing an alarm likely wants as well, so it seems like the market would cater to this. Does anyone know of something that ticks all of these boxes? I'm sure it would be a little more expensive, but it seems like there would be value there if it did all of those things.

The Viper Smart Start seems like it could be an option, but I can't find good pricing information for it. It seems as if it costs around $200, but I don't know if that includes all of the additional hardware to add GPS and its other advertised features. Their subscription rates are clearly posted with everything I want being covered for 3 years at $200.

Does anyone have insight on this system or different recommendations?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

You need to purchase a viper alarm system and then add the Smart Start module to it they don't come together since the SMART START is accessory. and to be honest the best place I found viper alarm systems and the smart start module is on AMAZON.com and Ebay. do you plan installing it yourself or have a shop do it?

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
    "2SIIC"
    Authentic Jerseys for sale
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

I plan on installing it myself. I recently removed the front main harness that goes along the firewall and inner fenders from my parts car. Along with a spare dash harness I plan to integrate all my accessory harnesses such as PFMs, foglights and newer combination switch. I figured this would be an appropriate time to handle alarm wiring installation as well.

And thanks for the info. I was not aware that it was an accessory. I'll check things out on Amazon, but it seems like I need to do some more research first.

So far I'm looking at a Viper alarm ($200), Smartstart ($175) and a 3-year GPS subscription ($200) to get things started.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Seeing as your doing it yourself that alone saves you a big chunk of money.I usually do my electronics research on 12volt.com they are pretty helpful when it comes to it same thing with HONDATECH.com

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
        "2SIIC"
        Authentic Jerseys for sale
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

http://www.compustar.com/products/dronemobile/

Just because I like compustar.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM-GPS-Real...25.m3641.l6368

then get a sim card for tmobile at walmart set up an account and activate the sim with an unlocked phone, then pop the sim in the brain. they have a basic data plan for cheap but, id use whatever the fastest data rate the brain can use, say like real time updates for the gps tracking, edge would be laggy for example. tmobile is the easier company to deal with when changing esn's as long as the device isnt carrier locked itll connect. then look at it like a 30$ a month alarm "service" thats DIY.

Comment

if you want a cheap sim card to use with a GPS tracker, check out Ting. $5 a month when not in active use is the cheapest option out there.

if you want a GPS tracker to use with your alarm, check out the chinese ones on ebay. You can get a fully functional tracker / remote disable system for < $50, even ones that use CDMA triangulation to still provide general location information even when GPS is unavailable (in a trailer/garage) and many of them have built in battery backup. For example, the TK103B is a popular one.

if you want an alarm to use with your car, I'd recommend the Viper line. I ended up getting the remote-start version of their kit (5706V) because it has 1-mile range key fobs, 2-way paging, and a full line of sensitive triggers. I didn't bother with their Smart Start integration because I didn't want to rely on my phone to utilize it, since phones change/get retired so often, I wanted a dedicated standalone security system for my car.
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-08-2016, 10:40 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Great recommendations on auto security systems everyone. I was thinking of getting a Viper or Compustar alarm soon since I recently been victimized of theft. Luckily I was able to get my cb7 back in less then a week. It seems like everything is still in onepiece for the most part, however I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it'll make a difference to change all my cylinder locks with aftermarket parts. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows about the design flaw that I won't mention for obvious reasons. I am considering buying new ones from autozone/o'reilly. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
                  Great recommendations on auto security systems everyone. I was thinking of getting a Viper or Compustar alarm soon since I recently been victimized of theft. Luckily I was able to get my cb7 back in less then a week. It seems like everything is still in onepiece for the most part, however I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it'll make a difference to change all my cylinder locks with aftermarket parts. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows about the design flaw that I won't mention for obvious reasons. I am considering buying new ones from autozone/o'reilly. Thanks.
                  Personally, i did the rear door handle mods (spare rear door handles that does not have the tumbler or keylock, and integrate them to fit into the front door handles.
                  The only places left on my car that requires a key are still there except for the driver and passenger door.

I have the Compustar with Drone service, and smartphone app.

I was visiting the in laws last year in Wisconsin when my brother accidently set off my alarm, all my devices that i registered the app to, blared horns.
                  The car was garaged in California.

MRT

Comment

Nice. I just bought the dronemobile by compustar not too long ago. I'll be installing it sometime this week so i'm pretty excited. That's a pretty cool idea to use rear handles for the front, although i would be paranoid about not getting into my car if the car battery died on me for some reason. I was doing my research and it might be a good idea if i could get the cylinder locks rekeyed by a locksmith with a completely different design.

Comment

I thought about the battery dying thing too. What I would do is have a little 18650 battery on my keychain and some keyed port that directly powers the driver's door lock actuator. Easier said, but that's the gist.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Thanks for the continued suggestions, everyone!

Dao, I'm probably ly going to do the rear door handle mod, too. It's a cleaner look and the lack of a keyhole is less temptation to any bored person who also happens to have a flathead handy.

I think I'm leaning toward Compustar now based on some.of the capabilities of the higher-end fobs. I think I need to go to Best Buy to get more information, though. Both Compustar and Viper make it impossible to physically see what you're buying on their sites. I guess I haven't really looked for wiring diagrams from the manufacturer. That stuff would tell me more hopefully.

Comment

My battery has not gone out on me, but I did lock both pagers inside my car once.
                          To get in, I had spare keys all over the house, so I simply unlocked the trunk, folded the seats down and climbed in.

Here's a video of it in action. Let me know if the link works for you guys:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00001440512511

MRT

Comment

The best advice on security I have ever received was from a police office that I used to work with.

If someone wants to steal your car, they will steal your car. the only thing you can do is try to slow them down. Alarm systems can be bypassed, disconnected, or other things could happen.

On the other hand, I went with a Viper, 2 kill switches, and the club, along with a detachable steering wheel and lock. They broke into my car, broke the lock off the steering wheel, and broke the club. broke the ignition switch. dismantled the alarm. and found one kill switch. The second kill switch would have taken more than the 5 minutes they did all of that in. Also remember, just because you paid 1000$ dollars for the alarm and the tracking, you can just hope for the best.

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                            Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
                            Originally posted by bmxicansd
                            so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

Originally posted by cb7rush View Post
                              The best advice on security I have ever received was from a police office that I used to work with.

If someone wants to steal your car, they will steal your car. the only thing you can do is try to slow them down. Alarm systems can be bypassed, disconnected, or other things could happen.

On the other hand, I went with a Viper, 2 kill switches, and the club, along with a detachable steering wheel and lock. They broke into my car, broke the lock off the steering wheel, and broke the club. broke the ignition switch. dismantled the alarm. and found one kill switch. The second kill switch would have taken more than the 5 minutes they did all of that in. Also remember, just because you paid 1000$ dollars for the alarm and the tracking, you can just hope for the best.
                              That is entirely true. Layers of security is what i recommend
                              And the only device that the police work with (actual real time assisting) is Lo-Jack. Because they monitor it themselves, if your car is stolen, it becomes the police priority to track (gps) and retrieve.
                              You can have your own alarm with GPS, but because the police cannot monitor it, their response to recover is slower, and their response to actual location is slower.

What i recommend for everyone in this thread:
                              http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...liser&A=107975

MRT

Comment

Working...
                              X