Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Front Axle Nut ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Axle Nut ?

Hello Folks!

Well I thought I was prepared for the worst but this monster is giving me trouble. I am planning to install 2 new front cv axles. I PB blast it for weeks too and removed the notch in the center.

I used a cheater pole, 1 inch by 5 foot long black pipe, and broke a 1/2 breaker bar, and a 3/4 F to 1/2 adapter. My 36mm axle socket came out ok.

So now I am wondering, how far will I be able to cut the axle nut with a dremel 4000 and a cutting wheel?

=====
    92 accord DX
    92 DX Sedan - Auto

You could probably cut it, yes... but I'd think it'd be easier and safer to simply take the car to a shop with air tools or an impact gun (or find someone with such tools to loan you.)
    If you take it to a shop, have them break the nut loose, then tighten it up by hand using a cheater pole. That way, it'll be secure enough to drive home, and loose enough for you to remove it once you get there.

One more trick you could try is to tighten it first. Crank hard on it to the right, then crank to the left. A few people have had luck doing it that way, myself included.

Comment

ahh, gonna give the right turn a try then left!

Thx
      92 DX Sedan - Auto

Comment

You can also heat it up to loosen it.

CALI LIFE STYLE
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=145883

Comment

heat is your best friend.

put 36mm socket and hammer it a little

put all the force you can into it.

double check the notch again
          make sure the car is on the ground.

Comment

I had the same problem. My pass side was cross threaded and the driver side was stuck. I broke 4 breaker bars and 4 cutting disks for my dremel. I some how got the pass side to come off with the breaker bar but the driver side I had to cut and chisel it to get the nut off. And yes I tryed using an impact first but the nut just laughed at it. In the end I had to replace the pass side axle but I was able to save the driver side axle.

Comment

if you have a ginder and cut off wheel available i would use that and cuut it off,
              since your replacing the axle any way. it would only take you a few minutes to get it cut off. i have had to do it before it sucks but it works

Comment

I would definetly try an impact first. That did the trick on a crusty axle nut I had.
                We are "Slow and Reckless Racing", LIKE us on Facebook to keep up with our progress.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sl...03065806427543

Comment

I use my friend's impact all the time. Works like a charm. I think it was fairly inexpensive, as well. It's a DeWalt.

Comment

well, I broke another breaker bar lol. Tried the local shops and their asking for 65-90 an axle nut.

So gonna pull out the dremel and cut away

Thanks guys!
                    92 DX Sedan - Auto

Comment

Let us know how it goes. It sounds like a bit of a chore using a dremel.
                      We are "Slow and Reckless Racing", LIKE us on Facebook to keep up with our progress.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sl...03065806427543

Comment

Originally posted by Qiko View Post
                        well, I broke another breaker bar lol. Tried the local shops and their asking for 65-90 an axle nut.

So gonna pull out the dremel and cut away

Thanks guys!
                        what do your local shops charge for an oil change $200???

must be Tiffany auto Repair a division of Armani auto group
                        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Plan on spending a few hours with the Dremel and a lot of cutting wheels. I had to cut one of mine off after I snapped the knuckle off my 3/4 breaker bar trying to break it loose after PB blaster, heat, everything else. It's a pain in the ass. If you can get an angle grinder, it'll go much quicker.

Comment

update:

yup, I wasted time cutting it the wrong way on Sat lol.

Sunday I decided to cut just one side of the nut, and it took around 3 hours with a few breaks.Finally, I put the breaker bar back on and it broke loose

Now gotta do the same on the passenger side

Gonna definitely put some anti-seize when I am all done
                            92 DX Sedan - Auto

Comment

Working...
                            X