Which early 80s to mid 90s sporty car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which early 80s to mid 90s sporty car?

We'll Lets say you are on the hunt for a project car. To me when it comes to styling and just everything about a car I enjoy 80s and mid 90s cars. Which import or domestic is your favorite and why? And get detailed if you wanna I encourage it!

And let's put a limit on this thing cause most of us can't afford higher end versions such as 93+Tt supra, nsx, fd rx7s, grand nationals, svo/sallen mustang etc...

To add I've had these chassis thus far... But still contenders.
    Fox body
    5.0 thunderbird
    3rd & 4th gen f-bodies
    Type2 Acura legend
    Turbo z31
    88 vert rx7
    Hondas

I have one certain car in mind,but even to this day an age they seem to be pricy but I like everything about the car even the lowend versions. What's y'all's favorite(s)?
    Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 05-16-2016, 06:14 PM.

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Lexus SC300. The styling of this car is ahead of its time. 2JZ is practically bullet proof, same thing with the auto trans and five speed for that car. The car is so solid (never seen a stronger door hinge than this car). Luxury car but handles like a sports car. I used to own one (ran with a BHG for over a year, previous owner overheated it and put copper stop leak. Lost cause). But, i still loved the car.

5th gen prelude - TYPE SH model. Still a very affordable project car. H22, manual with an LSD. Very well handling car. Plus it looks just as sporty as it is.

Those are my favorite that I can think of off the top of my head (I'm actually looking at buying either one of those or an is300 right now).

Comment

E30
      MK1 Sciroccos and Rabbit trucks
      MK2 Golfs and Jettas duh
      3000gt
      S13's but drift tax is fucked
      AE86
      Datsun 210
      Roadmaster Wagons are awesome
      D21 Hardbodies
      S-10 with an LS? Yes.

I'd go with MK1/MK2 VW's because they're stupid easy to work on, and handle very well. You can smoke anything in one that has like 250HP cause they weigh nothing. And they're made to last which is good.

If not a dub, I'd go with a mini truck. D21's are basically S13's, so engine wise, the aftermarket is overwhelming. Same for the s10 as you for sure already know.

Comment

3rd gen prelude,
        Mazda cosmo 20b (no idea what these are worth in us but can be had cheaper than FD's here, sometimes)
        Nissan z32 300zx,
        Toyota celica supra (might have the two names mixed around I always get confused, but the last generation of the one that had both names)

Any of these would be fun imo.
        sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I moved on to Z31s. Has that great 80s style you talking about. It also has a digital cluster and can come NA or turbo.

If you do decide to get one, make sure you check out the FB groups because they usually take better care of theirs compared to craigslist owners and cost way cheaper. If say a fair price for a NA Z31 is $1300-$2000 and a Turbo goes from $1800-$4000. It has a great community online and I learned a lot from the past year I owned it

Lots of people do 1/4 mile racing as well as drifting.

Comment

I've already had a turbo z31 it was yellow and gave nothing but issues, and the stupid digital dash worked like pooh. It did pretty decent burnouts when it ran right which was 10% of the time. It later developed a knock just wasn't a fan of the engine or transmission.

If I had one that was mint id probably enjoy it as they are good to look at.

02 Crv
            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.

Comment

I had a Z31 as well. Same digital dash but mine never worked.

Comment

Z31 for me as well, although I know for sure my next car (after the Accord and RSX are where I want them) is going to be a black Terminator Cobra... Cobra R hood and bumpers, bolt-ons, ported blower. Nothing in the '80/'90s comes close to eclipsing that for me.

4th gen Prelude is a strong contender to the Z31, but do I really want another FWD? Probably not, though there would be a greater possibility of it after the Cobra is in-hand.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

My Z31 was pretty fun. Beat on it really hard for a few months until I sold it. Sounded great bouncing off the rev limiter with a straight pipe doing donuts. And T tops are cool.

I always thought a Cressida with a 1j would be cool. Or a 2nd gen Rx7 with a 1j. Or... anything with a 1j.

Comment

For me, the appeal with the Z31 is the styling and having a straight six. I've always loved the sound of a six cylinder, and the inline layout has that historic racing vibe about it, which I just find really cool.

An FC RX-7 would be really cool as well. Another car that looks incredible with subtle mods. RXs need to stay rotary though; I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to those.

I'd probably do mine up just like these:

This I think looks perfect, except for the wheels; I'd go with five-spoke Advans or something like that.

I was actually considering an FD instead of the Mustang for my next car. It's another dream car, and is something I'm guessing would be a very good investment right now. Mazda is bound to bring out a proper replacement, which would then drive up the price on the FD just like the NSX is doing now. In the end, it comes down to me wanting a powerful RWD car and not having to build another engine to get there. The Termi engine is like an American equivalent to the 2JZ/RB26; the internals can take 700hp+ on stock internals absolutely no sweat if I ever wanted to take it there (I've actually heard claim of 900+; not that I'm into that kind of power, but that's pretty insane), and people have done it time and again. The handling of the FD is still always nagging at me though. Handling is something you can enjoy everyday and stay safe and legal, horsepower isn't.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

An FD would be sweet but most definitely not big guy friendly. I'm 6"2 230lbs and I cannot fit in a FD3S if my life depended on it. Even with an aftermarket steering wheel.

I'm actually on the hunt for in ITR, E55 AMG, or CL55 AMG as a daily

Comment

Originally posted by JunyAccord View Post
                        An FD would be sweet but most definitely not big guy friendly. I'm 6"2 230lbs and I cannot fit in a FD3S if my life depended on it. Even with an aftermarket steering wheel.

I'm actually on the hunt for in ITR, E55 AMG, or CL55 AMG as a daily
                        Steering wheel isn't the problem. You need to lower the seat. At 6'3" 200lbs, I can fit in an FD with an aftermarket seat bolted to the floor. Its super comfortable. Gotta do the same thing to fit in an NSX

Comment

The guy I bought my 88 rx7 convertible was 6'5 he fit.

I do like me a z32 though sexy styling inside and out, decent power plants I'd even rock a n/a without hesitation. Black with a hint of purple pearl, aftermarket or even larger OE option wheels with a 285 or 315 wide tires out back, tinted windows, flashed Ecu, intake, and cat back I'd be happy with that as a weekend driver.
                          Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 05-17-2016, 06:12 PM.

02 Crv

Comment

Mitsubishi starion! Widebody and factory 2.6 turbo. Although I'd probably swap in a 6 bolt 4g63t.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

I always forget about those! Nice choice. I'd still take the Z myself, but those do look properly mean. That one in particular has the perfect stance and wheels.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                              X