My H22 Swap Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My H22 Swap Journal

Well it all started when I changed the oil in my girls car. She had bought it six months before and changed it once. It leaked oil and was nasty. While going to get her
    I started to hear a knock. After I got her it got worse on the way home. So she decided she wanted something with more power.
    So I started looking up how to do swaps and came across this site. At first I wanted to do the F20B because I thought the FRM Walls in the H22 could be a weak link to early detonation of a new motor.
    But deevergote quickly steered me right.(At the time I never even knew he was the owner of the site) So I started reading on how to do it and everything involved.
    I went to Hmotorsonline.com and found the best deal. I called and ordered a H22A with a T2T4 at the end of Febuary. I was told it wouldn't be at my house till the end of March.
    So i got started on getting the car to my house and getting ready for the new motor

The motor got here the day I was told and was very Impressed on how good of shape it came in.
    It on the truck.

Off the Truck

Getting unwrapped

Valve Cover Off

Water Pump off

Oil Pump off

I got started by tearing everything down that needed to be changed and start on the wiring. I didn't have all the parts but they were coming.

I replaced the water pump, converted to Manual Tensioner, Changed all gaskets, put a ebay header on(that I have had no problem with), SRI, motor mounts, had a custom powersteering line made but then end up going without because when they made it it had a leak in it and by the time I got it fixed. The powersteering pump was making noise. Had to get a 8 gauge connector to splice in the alternator. I ran into really only two problems when dropping the motor in. The Dust shield for the T2T4 was sitting on my lower crossmember in the middle.

So I had to pull it out and I fabbed up a dust shield from the F22A4 with a Hammer, Drill and Patience. Then I dropped it back in.

Then I came into the next problem. I forgot to roll out the edge of the crossmember so the downpipe was touching so I used the BFH again and beat it in a bit a little at a time.

Till I had clearance. It is at a spot that you really can't notice and it doesn't leak. After that everything else went back fairly easy. I did accidenly got the knock and oil wires mixed and had to get that corrected. It has been in the car now since April and it has been a fun car to drive. Really no problems except the clamp on the exhaust came loose and it was leaking. Because the kid that my girl bought the car from welded up the exhaust so i had to cut off the old down pipe and get a section from the Auto Parts and clamp it. The A/C works, and Cruise Control.

I want to give thanks to my girl for helping(Yes she got dirty) on the nights we worked and holding the down pipe while I beat it into clearthe crossmember. I want to give Special Thanks to Iwork4mycb7, Mcdizzle, deevergote, jhondayaaj, boostdelinquet, Dani Filth, CB7Nub, Joey GT-R, and Baby Sham974 for all their input on F20B Swap Inot a 2 door Ex. I accidently spelt my first forum wrong. Oh well. Let me know what you think or if anyone has questions feel free to post up
    Last edited by euraphex; 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM.

Nice bro, how much of a difference is the h from what was in there?

about to get my hands dirty!

Comment

Man thts clean!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4speed View Post
        Nice bro, how much of a difference is the h from what was in there?
        There is a big difference especially from stop and go. When the VTEC kicks in it is a different machine. It is worth the money and the LSD Trans is great too.

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
        Man thts clean!
        Yea that was my first impression when I unwrapped it.

Comment

Great job Nice lil journal

Comment

Originally posted by jchsmiley View Post
            Great job Nice lil journal
            Thank Ya Thank Ya! You have a clean little cb7 yourself. Where in Texas

Comment

Originally posted by euraphex View Post
              There is a big difference especially from stop and go. When the VTEC kicks in it is a different machine. It is worth the money and the LSD Trans is great too.
              That great dude, I'm getting mine done this week I can't wait, I'm so excited!

about to get my hands dirty!

Comment

Looking good! Hmotors always has the freshest looking engines. On the cross member issue, I put a notch in mine.

My swap thread
                Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by Need4speed View Post
                  That great dude, I'm getting mine done this week I can't wait, I'm so excited!
                  You will love it. I have been done with the swap for almost two months and I have just been having fun with it so I haven't had a chance to make this journal.

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                  Looking good! Hmotors always has the freshest looking engines. On the cross member issue, I put a notch in mine.
                  Yea deevergote highly recommended them and a few other members. They also had the best price for what I wanted and shipped to my door. I have no complaints and would highly recommend Hmotors to anyone thinking of doing a swap in the future.
                  Last edited by euraphex; 06-21-2011, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Nice write up! I hope to be doing this sometime this year.....time and money permitting at least.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

Originally posted by Noridetoolow View Post
                      Nice write up! I hope to be doing this sometime this year.....time and money permitting at least.
                      Thank Ya! Yeah money is a big thing in the swap. My girl paid about 2300 for the motor and trans. Then with all the parts it brought the total to maybe $3000 - $3500

Comment

I just received the new oil pump, balance shaft seals, and other misc parts for my new H22. The question that I have is....did you use RTV for the oil pump gasket or was it the genuine Honda bond? Either way, did you just put a bead of the sealer down then stick the pump on or did you apply the sealent then spread it around evenly with your finger? My helms manual just shows a picture of the block and says to put Honda Bond on where the broken line is displayed in the picture. I need to know if the sealent should be spread or if I just put the pump on right over the bead?

Also, what tool did you use to align/remove the balance shaft pulley (the one on the intake side)?

I appreciate any help you can provide!

Comment

Originally posted by Acclude1420 View Post
                          I just received the new oil pump, balance shaft seals, and other misc parts for my new H22. The question that I have is....did you use RTV for the oil pump gasket or was it the genuine Honda bond? Either way, did you just put a bead of the sealer down then stick the pump on or did you apply the sealent then spread it around evenly with your finger? My helms manual just shows a picture of the block and says to put Honda Bond on where the broken line is displayed in the picture. I need to know if the sealent should be spread or if I just put the pump on right over the bead?

Also, what tool did you use to align/remove the balance shaft pulley (the one on the intake side)?

I appreciate any help you can provide!
                          I just used rtv sealent but I believe I may have got some that is used for high heat. I know it was blue. Spread it with my finger then slapped it together.
                          I used a flat head screwdriver that had a narrow tip but thick and slid it in. The front one on the exhaust side busted my knuckle when breaking it loose.

If you are doing the H23 Timing Belt conversion be sure to get the H22 belts and just so you know it will take a while and some wiggling back and forth. It took me about a hour and a half because it is really tight.

Comment

Originally posted by euraphex View Post
                            I just used rtv sealent but I believe I may have got some that is used for high heat. I know it was blue. Spread it with my finger then slapped it together.
                            I used a flat head screwdriver that had a narrow tip but thick and slid it in. The front one on the exhaust side busted my knuckle when breaking it loose.

If you are doing the H23 Timing Belt conversion be sure to get the H22 belts and just so you know it will take a while and some wiggling back and forth. It took me about a hour and a half because it is really tight.
                            Yeah, I'm doing the tensioner conversion as well, although I almost wish I was just replacing the stock auto tensioner. I've been reading horror stories about the manual conversion going bad, especially because the belt is on so tight. A lot of people mention that the belt whines and eventually breaks from being stretched out. I really don't want to go to all this trouble and spend all this money just for nothing. Does your belt make any noise? When you got it on, did you rotate the motor to fully seat the belt? If so, what direction did you rotate it in?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Acclude1420 View Post
                              Yeah, I'm doing the tensioner conversion as well, although I almost wish I was just replacing the stock auto tensioner. I've been reading horror stories about the manual conversion going bad, especially because the belt is on so tight. A lot of people mention that the belt whines and eventually breaks from being stretched out. I really don't want to go to all this trouble and spend all this money just for nothing. Does your belt make any noise? When you got it on, did you rotate the motor to fully seat the belt? If so, what direction did you rotate it in?

Thanks for your help!
                              No my belt doesn't make any noise. I did rotate the motor. I believe I rotated it clockwise. I did want you to know be sure not to get the Knock Sensor and oil sensor mixed. I did.... The Knock is above the oil filter
                              Last edited by euraphex; 07-18-2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X