Broken P. S. Speed Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken P. S. Speed Sensor

While installing my F22 P. S. Speed Sensor on the M2Y4 (most people on here call it the VSS, although that's on top of this), the bracket for the bolt snapped right off during tightening!

I could not believe it when I heard the snap. I thought the sensor was all the way in! The replacement part is $188 on Majestic Honda

I started reading and researching and I found some posts by Loisracer2, lindz, and others. Loisracer2 always advocated for the H23 version of the part, and said he had no issues with the speed reading. Along the same lines, I have heard that they all (F and H series versions) have the same teeth (19?) if USDM built to read mph. Lindz took a picture of both shafts (from the H she was installing and her F), and her H version had 21 teeth and the gear was longer as well. I'm guessing that is because her H version was reading km/h, but it's not clear.

I guess I have many questions.

How do you know when the P.S. Speed sensor is fully in and meshing with the differential correctly? Would some transmission fluid on the gears and a rotating action of some kind help with the installation?

Part questions: The part number for F22 and H23 P. S. Speed Sensors on Majestic are exactly the same. Should I be getting one of these as a replacement for my broken one, or an H22 variant, since I now have an H22 M2Y4 tranny? If I have to loop the lines to the sensor, then I will, I just want the right part for the new tranny.

Thanks all, for your help.
    Last edited by af_1132; 12-09-2014, 08:40 PM. Reason: Rambling on due to sleep deprivation, sorry.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Wow, that last post needed some editing. I took care of that and hopefully I sound a little less like a big baby .

That's what sleep deprivation can do to you, haha.

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
      While installing my F22 P. S. Speed Sensor on the M2Y4 (most people on here call it the VSS, although that's on top of this), the bracket for the bolt snapped right off during tightening!
      I did the exact same thing a couple of years ago. I thought it was seated fully home, and when tightening the nut I'd just started to think "this doesn't feel quite right", and it snapped the tab off. Too tired, too hot, too over it, in too much of a hurry to finish my clutch / flywheel replacement, too careless...

Anyway, I had to be somewhere and needed the car on the road asap, so I held the sensor down as tightly as I could using very long and thick pull ties, intending to fix it properly as soon as I had a chance. Funny thing, the sensor is still held down with pull ties, works fine, no leaks, no problems...
      Regards from Oz,
      John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
        I did the exact same thing a couple of years ago. I thought it was seated fully home, and when tightening the nut I'd just started to think "this doesn't feel quite right", and it snapped the tab off. Too tired, too hot, too over it, in too much of a hurry to finish my clutch / flywheel replacement, too careless...

Anyway, I had to be somewhere and needed the car on the road asap, so I held the sensor down as tightly as I could using very long and thick pull ties, intending to fix it properly as soon as I had a chance. Funny thing, the sensor is still held down with pull ties, works fine, no leaks, no problems...
        Wow, I would have never expected that to work! If you and I were to go about getting another one, just because I don't trust myself with tying it down securely enough, will the USDM F22/H23 part fit into a USDM H22 tranny?

Thanks.

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
          Wow, I would have never expected that to work! If you and I were to go about getting another one, just because I don't trust myself with tying it down securely enough, will the USDM F22/H23 part fit into a USDM H22 tranny?

Thanks.
          I have no idea which alternative sensors might work.

I'm surprised the pull tie works so well too. It was only meant as a temporary desperation bodge, but it's still going strong, so good I'd all but forgotten about it...
          My pull tie passes between the two hydraulic hoses and sort of loops around the back and side of the sensor, then at the other end it loops around part of the rear engine mount bracketing. The pull tie doesn't pull 'straight down' on the sensor, but kind of down and to the side. At any rate I just had a look at it and it's still secure. The pull tie is pulled as tight as I could pull it.
          Regards from Oz,
          John.

Comment

I just test fitted the broken one into both transmissions and it fits the exact same way, and all the way in, with a little shimmy shimmy. Good grief! I must have really been out of it at 2am last night! Thank you for the tie down description.

MRT
            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Some more on the pull tie bodge, as memory slowly returns:

The retaining tab not only holds the sensor down, but also prevents the sensor body from rotating. If the sensor is being held down only by a pull tie then it's at least possible that the sensor body might rotationally oscillate (or maybe intermittently shift it's rotational position). So, when I fitted my sensor (with the broken tab) I also fitted the tab itself so that the broken face of the tab abutted the matching broken face on the sensor.

With the tab held as per normal with the nut, it contacts the mating face of the fracture on the sensor body, and this close proximity (touching) prevents the sensor from rotating.
              Regards from Oz,
              John.

Comment

Working...
              X