No announcement yet.

EXT: The Rust Removal DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can fix that easy like it did. THe bondo when it dries up. It grabs anything that was hanging. so if you bumper is hanging it will hold it. Sand down the rust and put some rust removal chemicals add something that doesnt rust to cover the hole. then bondo it.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

you can fix that easy like it did. THe bondo when it dries up. It grabs anything that was hanging. so if you bumper is hanging it will hold it. Sand down the rust and put some rust removal chemicals add something that doesnt rust to cover the hole. then bondo it.

Comment

did you use anything to build up the quarter panel or did u just dab bondo until it dried and took form?

Comment

I put some piece of aluminum similar shape where the rust was before that I sanded the rust off. Then I mix the bondo with creme hardener to dry the bondo faster.
          *Mix This*

*With this*

*Use this to apply on the body*

Comment

Im just gonna transplant new rear quarters and patch panels on it next week
            Arcadia Green Crew Member #9

Comment

will deffiantly be using this thread, looks really good

Comment

I took 2 years of HS autoshop and we had to do body work for one semester and it was hell. I hate body work, too much sanding and dirty bondo dust everywhere.

anyways I have a rust area about the size of a half dollar on my trunk where the spoilers middle post is bolted down.

I also have a small area in the front of my hood, bt its the nast bubbled up kind, a bitch to deal with. I had that on the mr2, I had to grind it with a dremel. but i never totally finished doing the work, too lazy.

anyways as for replacing metal for a smaller hole or what not, I like using fiberglass. I had a chunk missing on the door of the mr2, a 5 inch "hole" where the outer skin was rusted through so basically it was gone. I cut out a few layers of fiberglass fabric, dipped it in the hardener, and carefully applied it to the spot, it hardened, then you can sand it to smooth it, and put bondo on top of that.

I also use "Naval Jelly" since thats a good rust inhibitor and Home depot can sell it.

Now that's school is done for the summer, I have the time, Im going to get my rust fixed on the accord and post pics.

sand it down, and just paint it, I dont feel like bondo but I still have some left but no hardener. do they sell hardener sperately?

I just have surface rust, so it hasnt gone through the metal.

Im pretty luckily considering this is a canadian car and Im in chicago so we face crap salty winters. Im lucky to only have a minor amount of rust and not in the worst places.
                Last edited by Mjfan12; 05-12-2007, 12:17 PM.
                1993 Honda Accord EX-R Coupe Granada Black Pearl
                ///Alpine CDA-9847 Head Unit
                OBX Pedals, stock air box, Ebay headers, Stock dual tipped muffler. Emblems removed, grill chrome painted black.

1993 Kawasaki EX500 Flat Black. First Bike.

Comment

ACtually they sell the hardener separate. I bought mine separate.

Comment

ACtually they sell the hardener separate. I bought mine separate.

Comment

im bumping this zombie thread because there seems to have been a decent amount of threads about this sort of thing in the appearance section.

op, any news on how this method held up for you over these past few years? anything you would have done differently in retrospect?

Comment

Originally posted by scudweiser View Post
                        op, any news on how this method held up for you over these past few years? anything you would have done differently in retrospect?
                        I also wanted to know, but it looks like he hasn't been on since October.
                        MRT
                        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                        Originally posted by Tippey764
                        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Yea... I would also like to know how it holding up? I'm sure by now the rust would have reform and push the bondo out-ward and rust bubble is likely visible again.

For those who are looking to fix your rust:

The correct way is to cut away all the rust or corrode metal out til you see no visible sign of rust/corrode metal. When you sand it down for bodywork all you would see is shiney metal... that is the right way of fixing it.
                          You want to eliminate the rust and prevent it from coming back.. not by slowing it down with temporary bondo repair to hide it.

Why fix it if all you do is making it to come back all over again. Do it right or dont do it at all. Unless this is a quick fix to sell a car then yes I have no problem with that.
                          Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

Working...
                          X