Car suddenly stopping in reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car suddenly stopping in reverse

Hello all, I seem to be having an issue with my cb. When I put my car in reverse, it stops REALLY suddenly as if I hit something. It moves a few feet before it jerks to a complete stop. I am not touching the brakes at all and my e-brake is down. I am suspecting something in my transmission. I have a 1992 EX with a M/T.

I like blue

Originally posted by jurizar View Post
    Hello all, I seem to be having an issue with my cb. When I put my car in reverse, it stops REALLY suddenly as if I hit something. It moves a few feet before it jerks to a complete stop. I am not touching the brakes at all and my e-brake is down. I am suspecting something in my transmission. I have a 1992 EX with a M/T.
    I've never heard of this.
    - Automatic or manual?
    - How far do you get until it happens?
    - When did it start happening?
    - Does every other gear work?
    - What kind of sounds do you hear?

Comment

I could be wrong but i would try inspecting your drive axles. It might be possible that the bearings are binding due to extreme wear and locking up a wheel or two. sounds far fetched but could be possible. if its the tranny i wouldnt know how to help sorry but i would check the easier stuff first.

-sean
      Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
      Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

he clearly says its a manual trans. Any way are you sure you not just stalling it? is this your first Manual trans car?

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

jack the front end up and put in in reverse if the problems not there then maybe your rear brakes are so shot they are grabbing in reverse. if its up front then youre probably sol

Comment

It only does it in reverse. I've also noticed that when I try to roll back at all(even in neutral) it stops just the same. It moves maybe a few feet. I'm starting to think its my brakes locking. If it was my transmission then it wouldn't do it in neutral right?

I like blue

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              I've never heard of this.
              - Automatic or manual?
              - How far do you get until it happens?
              - When did it start happening?
              - Does every other gear work?
              - What kind of sounds do you hear?
              Manual.
              A few feet
              A few days ago
              Every other gear works
              No sound except a thud when it stops.

Also, no I am not stalling. I've been driving this car for years. It stays on when it stops.
              Last edited by jurizar; 09-03-2013, 12:16 AM.

I like blue

Comment

Will it do the same thing if you back up in gear and then throw it out of gear and coast after the first foot or so?

edit... just answered my own question. You need to make it stop and then get out and get under the car and see whats wrong. Since it's doing in in neutral, sounds like its not your tranny.
                Originally posted by Mishakol129
                Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I had a buddy that had this issue before. Someone had messed up putting the rear drum brakes on. And they were locking up in reverse. Could be that yours just happen to mess up. Also maybe your ebrake cable is getting bound up as well.

Comment

Figured it out. We looked at my brakes and saw that I was somehow missing one of my caliper bracket mounting bolts. So when I reversed, the whole caliper was swinging forward and hitting, thus stopping the entire car. Put two new bolts in with locktight and no issues. Hope this helps someone down the line. Thanks for the tips guys.

I like blue

Comment

Working...
                    X