No, you DO NOT need camber kits!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly...

also take into account, your car will wear differently based on what parts you have...new bushings? Stiff or soft springs/struts? New ball joints? I'm sure a variation in the parts there will make two same make and model cars of equal drop have different wear as well.

really unless YOU have done the alignments yourself and have adequately tested your setup for wear...then the personal exp. with just DRIVING the "aligned by someone else" car isn't saying much to me.

I've aligned MY car, I setup the angles, and I drove the car and I can tell you what I've said in this thread. Which is...toe wears the shit out...but don't tell me camber doesn't have an effect...it does, I've seen it, and it doesn't HAVE to be extreme. But on my car, the camber is always off (negative), and my toe is always dead on...I always had a little inner tire wear not much...some would say not enough to notice..but I DID notice it, and I could measure the difference between the inner and outter...wasn't much...but it was there. And my camber wasn't extreme either. Still...old parts.

I will also add that my personal exp is limited to the cb7 and toyota's though...so I'm sure some cars can handle more/less camber with more/less wear. Not every car model is the same nor do they respond similarly...even if they are the same make.

I think the point so far has been...slight drops, up to 1.5" drop, you may not need to worry about camber kits...prolly won't. But you will have to get and alignment done and get a print out of the specs after the alignment and then watch your tires to know for sure. The toe must be IN spec even if camber is slightly out. In this situation, get camber adjuster if you find that your tires are wearing (with the toe being correct) If no abnormal wear..you're good. I think it's a tough call for this one...and requires testing. I wouldn't go ahead and buy camber correction though.

On drops >1.5 but <2.5"...may may not have to see...I think you will...but not much.

On more extreme drops >2.5" you will most likely will need camber correction, again, set toe, get camber where you want it...get a print out, and watch for wear. If you get wear, you should install camber correcting devices. But in this case, you most likely will need to correct the camber. If it were me...I would buy camber correction equipment if I were dropping this much.

Again that is all on the cb7 as a drop of same inches on one car may not effect camber to the same degree. Wish I could give you " * negative" instead of " inches (") of drop" as the way I have it listed isn't really a good way. But you get the overall point I attempted (no matter how poorly) to make

That's my take...But I'll let you know for sure what I find after I drop my car, replace all my bushings, and replace all my ball joints I'm like...1/4-1/6th the way there.
    Last edited by bcjammerx; 09-14-2009, 03:45 AM.
    ____

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen View Post
      to a point its right, obviously whats touching the ground will wear faster than the section not touching...but if its flipped correctly and you keep track of your tire pressure you wont have that significant of a loss of tire life.

i dont care what anyone has to say to that...i know from experience so shut your faces. please and thanks.
      Im with Jake here .... I run signifigant enough neg camber and dont have any issues .. Yeah, it DOES look like its wearing the inside a BIT quicker ... but Il just flip the tires next year .... no problem.

Same thing with my old tires (and they weree hella cheap and shitty) even when they came off after like a year of rolling dumped ... the uneven wear was minimal at best.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
      dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

I ruined perfectly good tires in LESS than a week, the biggest mistake was waiting a week to get an alinment, after i got it, my tires STILL wore, not as bad but definately noticable. I was at about -2.5 front and -2 rear and drove ALOT, almost 150 miles a day, i now have SPC balljoints on the front and the adjustable upper bar on the rear and im golden. Fixed my problem. Therefore it SEEMS depending on the drop height, you do and dont need a camber kit, i'd say anythng more than 2" you do, but thats just my experiance and opinion.
        Last edited by eazyduzit509; 09-14-2009, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I don't get it. If the inside of the tire is being used more than the outside it will wear out faster. Its pretty obviously that toe ruins tires. With pos or neg toe your scrubbin tires everywhere you drive. But its fuckin stupid to still argue that yeah, my tires only touch on the inside, but thats not going to make them wear out faster. Just facepalm.

Comment

I roll like this daily (probably a bit more then 100km a day). I dont know how much of a drop it is.. but Im sure its more then 2". YES, I have some minor uneven wear... but nothing signifigant enough for me to want to change anything.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
            dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

How much a tire wears also highly depends on tire design and rubber compound.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                How much a tire wears also highly depends on tire design and rubber compound.
                That's also very true. I've heard that the Nitto Neo Gen is designed for lowered cars, and is made to withstand camber wear better than other tires. That may be a load of marketing bullshit... but yes, what you say is true. A sticky summer tire that is constantly grabbing will probably wear faster than a hard all-season tire.

Originally posted by slammed4thgen View Post
                to a point its right, obviously whats touching the ground will wear faster than the section not touching...but if its flipped correctly and you keep track of your tire pressure you wont have that significant of a loss of tire life.

i dont care what anyone has to say to that...i know from experience so shut your faces. please and thanks.
                Yeah, flipping the tires to rotate which side is the inside is one way to work it. If you get 5,000 miles of decent wear on a tire before camber starts making a mess of the inside, and the fronts wear faster than the rears, then you can theoretically get a good 30,000 miles or so out of a set of tires by rotating that way... depending on how you drive, what tires you have, and how extreme your camber angle is. If this is on a car that isn't a daily driver, then 30,000 miles is going to be a long time coming. The tires will be old enough that they should be changed due to age rather than wear before the camber kills them.

However, if you're like me, tearing up 85,000 miles in a year... That's just not going to work. If I flipped my tires every 5,000 miles, I'd be doing it twice a month. I haven't even had a chance to rotate my tires, since I keep getting unrepairable flats before that time comes!

Comment

by flipping tires, do you mean having them removed, then swapped over to the other rim, then remounted and balanced??
                  Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                  Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                  Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                  Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Flipping tires only works if they're non-asymetric.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
                      by flipping tires, do you mean having them removed, then swapped over to the other rim, then remounted and balanced??
                      Yep.

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                      Flipping tires only works if they're non-asymetric.
                      What, as in having an "inside" and an "outside"? True. Are there tires like that? If so... it'd be wise not to buy them if you're going to use this method!

Comment

Azenis are asymetric. I believe the Neo Gens are as well.

Comment

Neo Gens aren't even directional.

Comment

You guys need to take into account how you drive.

You guys that corner hard everywhere you go ever notice that the outside of your tire wears down like a mother fucker?

By adding some more negative camber you can actually flatten your contact patch out in cornering and have more even wear. At least for the e30, which I understand is a different suspension setup. Howeverthe outside of your tire being used under hard cornering still holds true for the CB.
                            Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Most driving is still in a straight line... so the cornering contact patch for the inside tire isn't exactly what you need to be worrying about. And when the inside of the tires are worn from straight driving, those hard corners are still going to be unpredictable.

But yes... I've noticed outer wear from cornering hard. I do it quite often while working. When I'm up in the mountains, I have fun. When I'm in the city, I have to move quick to get the hell out of the way! Hard corners are a part of my job.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                                Yep.

What, as in having an "inside" and an "outside"? True. Are there tires like that? If so... it'd be wise not to buy them if you're going to use this method!
                                YES i hate those tires so much...when I don't catch myself installing them the wrong way I have to re install them all over again lol
                                example:

and your right do not buy those tires if your going to use that method....

Comment

Working...
                                X