Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Road noise reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road noise reduction

Anybody else' CB sound like a wind tunnel when you're cruising on the freeway with the windows up. It's hella hard to talk and even listen to music. I've been looking at options to sound deadening the inside of my car. Mainly because I want it to be a little less loud when driving and because my girlfriend says that it hurts her ears.

I am planning on using butyl rubber weather stripping from home depot that looks and performs similar to dynamat. Gas anyone used this stuff before or have any other noise reduction techniques?

There are large, flat surfaces on these cars that make a lot of noise. Surfaces like the roof, hood, door skins, quarter panels and trunk all make for a noisy car. You can use Dynamat or a similar product on the insides of those surfaces to quiet things down quite a bit. Also, carpet padding for significant than what we have would do wonders. I plan on trying to fit the carpet from my 3.2CL in my Accord when I have the room to bring the Accord out of the garage.

There's also a company called Lizard Skin that offers a spray-on solution that is said to work amazingly. It's detailed in this video by a guy who does some really awesome videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTKAxH7i0t0
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Incredibr0 View Post
      Anybody else' CB sound like a wind tunnel when you're cruising on the freeway with the windows up. It's hella hard to talk and even listen to music. I've been looking at options to sound deadening the inside of my car. Mainly because I want it to be a little less loud when driving and because my girlfriend says that it hurts her ears.

I am planning on using butyl rubber weather stripping from home depot that looks and performs similar to dynamat. Gas anyone used this stuff before or have any other noise reduction techniques?
      I just bought about 70 sq ft of Knukonceptz Kno-Knoise Kolossus. Just a hint, these style products reduce panel vibration. They do not block noise transmission. To do that, you need a barrier product. Mass loaded vinyl is popular in the hot rod and car audio community. 3M Thinsulate also has noise blocking properties as well as thermal insulating properties.

Also Peel n Seal works...just not as good as a dedicated CLD product. I have to find the comparison thread...found it: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...d-testing.html Very good and scientific comparison.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

May pay to jack your car up and check your wheel bearings, They can make a very bad "road noise" like sound when they have failed

Comment

I had my interior stripped down to nothing for some time with no panels, or factory sound deadening. I put some fat mat rattle trap which is the 80 mil thick product inside the door skins, under driver and passenger floor panel, quarter panels, and a few peices under the rear deck. The interior of the car is going back together now, however i notice some difference already driving around. I'm contemplating adding more, Its not a night and day difference but it helps, its cheaper than dynamat, and it doesnt smell like tar give it a try.

Comment

i put peel and seal all on the inside of my doors in my cl type-s. man it made such a huge difference. i really want to tear dash and entire interior out and do the whole car.
            COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              There are large, flat surfaces on these cars that make a lot of noise. Surfaces like the roof, hood, door skins, quarter panels and trunk all make for a noisy car. You can use Dynamat or a similar product on the insides of those surfaces to quiet things down quite a bit. Also, carpet padding for significant than what we have would do wonders. I plan on trying to fit the carpet from my 3.2CL in my Accord when I have the room to bring the Accord out of the garage.

There's also a company called Lizard Skin that offers a spray-on solution that is said to work amazingly. It's detailed in this video by a guy who does some really awesome videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTKAxH7i0t0
              carpet padding is a great Idea, i was planning on doing that as well but wasnt sure if that was a good way to do it or not. LIzard skin looks great! though, it is quite expensive making it a little out of my budget for this mod.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
              I just bought about 70 sq ft of Knukonceptz Kno-Knoise Kolossus. Just a hint, these style products reduce panel vibration. They do not block noise transmission. To do that, you need a barrier product. Mass loaded vinyl is popular in the hot rod and car audio community. 3M Thinsulate also has noise blocking properties as well as thermal insulating properties.

Also Peel n Seal works...just not as good as a dedicated CLD product. I have to find the comparison thread...found it: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...d-testing.html Very good and scientific comparison.
              I wonder if doing layers of peel and seal would work with a layer of carpet padding over the top of it. after looking at the Lowe's website (Home Depot discontinued their roof weather sealing tape) looks like Peel and Seal is what I would be buying.

Originally posted by Zombine View Post
              May pay to jack your car up and check your wheel bearings, They can make a very bad "road noise" like sound when they have failed
              Sorry I think I may have said the wrong thing (or incorporated what I hear as something it's not) The road noise i was talking about is just the loud noise the car makes from wind passing over it, primarily on the freeway. The noise isnt really there when doing anything less than 50.

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
              i put peel and seal all on the inside of my doors in my cl type-s. man it made such a huge difference. i really want to tear dash and entire interior out and do the whole car.
              Thats the plan for me too, inside the doors, take out the interior and do the floor and the roof.

Originally posted by rubycoupe View Post
              I had my interior stripped down to nothing for some time with no panels, or factory sound deadening. I put some fat mat rattle trap which is the 80 mil thick product inside the door skins, under driver and passenger floor panel, quarter panels, and a few peices under the rear deck. The interior of the car is going back together now, however i notice some difference already driving around. I'm contemplating adding more, Its not a night and day difference but it helps, its cheaper than dynamat, and it doesnt smell like tar give it a try.
              Overall how much does it help do you think? I think probably 2 layers then some carpet padding or something to deaden noise would be what im going to do. if I can block as much noise from OUTSIDE the car that would be awesome.

Comment

..... It's hella hard to talk and even listen to music. ....
                Sound dampening etc. will not help you here as this is not how the car originally was. Sounds like your door grommets are gone and thus you hear wind noise (and road noise) now. These are the seals that go around the door, around the window, inside and out, etc. Older cars have these issue and the symptoms are it sounding like you didn't roll the window all the way. I would change these first. Sometimes pulling on the door when driving on the highway can assist in finding the problem area.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  ...Sounds like your door grommets are gone and thus you hear wind noise (and road noise) now. These are the seals that go around the door, around the window, inside and out, etc. ...
                  Do you mean the weather stripping that closes the seal around the door?

Also i know the window rails need to be replaced. My window shakes when I close it. (I have a coupe) so I'm sure this is probably a problem area for sure.

Comment

Do you mean the weather stripping that closes the seal around the door?

Also i know the window rails need to be replaced. My window shakes when I close it. (I have a coupe) so I'm sure this is probably a problem area for sure.
                    Yes, that is what I mean. Window shaking when closing implies the guides are gone too (or not smooth).

Comment

Actually on the coupes the lower half of the guide and rail can fall off. Both of mine were laying in the bottom of the doors. Causing all that much more rattling. Although some of the rattle can come from loose window pins in the coupes.
                      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

You can get that roof in stuff from homedepot that's like black tar with foil on it for cheap. Does the same thing as sound deadening stuff. That with carpet padding would work pretty well.

Comment

It helps, but it will not turn your car into a new lexus as far as a luxurious quiet ride is concerned. But all the things combined will make an improvement For sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rubycoupe View Post
                            It helps, but it will not turn your car into a new lexus as far as a luxurious quiet ride is concerned. But all the things combined will make an improvement For sure.
                            Yea i definitely do not expect that lol just something that will make it a little less noisy inside the cabin. It would cost far too much to make it that quiet, and I actually still want to hear the car

Comment

Yea i definitely do not expect that lol just something that will make it a little less noisy inside the cabin. It would cost far too much to make it that quiet, and I actually still want to hear the car
                              The worst is when the gaps get so big that on windy days it pulls the car side to side and there's a large sucking noise coming from the window. Got so loud on cars I've had in the past that you can't hear anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X