Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality Check....

Yesterday I nearly lost my life....

I returned from a trip to Florida for vacation thursday afternoon. I ended up oversleeping Friday morning and got in the car to rush to work. I was on I-65 heading into montgomery moving way faster than I ever should've been going. A van pulled out from the center lane into the left lane, the lane I was in, cutting me off. I slammed on my brakes to avoid hitting him as best as I could. My brakes locked up, and I slid across all three lanes of traffic towards the shoulder, which was a steep drop-off into a ditch. I cut the wheel back to the left, and spun around in the middle of the interstate once that I remember, possibly twice, before sliding down into the ditch sideways. The last time I looked at my GPS right before locking my brakes up, the MPH guage read 114...

Had I continued going straight, I would've rear-ended the van and been killed. Turned left, hit the concrete barrier in the median, and died. Continued going into the ditch head-first, very likely would've rolled and died. The fact that while spinning on the interstate in RUSH HOUR Traffic that I was not hit by a car, is a miracle. The only thing I hit was an orange traffic barrell on the shoulder with my rear passenger-side.

...guys I honestly shouldn't have walked away from losing control of a car that fast. I was being looked after I tell you that. I've never felt so helpless in my life, and I've really barely been able to function the past two days it frightenend me so much.

I said all of that to say this. I know its fun and seems cool to push your car on the interstate, but guys and gals, it really isn't worth losing your life over. I turned 20 years old tuesday. I know a lot of you are even younger than I am.... not even scratching the surface of living life. Don't risk it anymore guys...you may not be as lucky as I was.
    Last edited by rob_is_legend; 07-18-2010, 12:52 AM.

My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Thread

thank god your still alive bro. i dont know if i read over this but was there any extensive damage to your cb?!

Comment

Originally posted by agol View Post
      thank god your still alive bro. i dont know if i read over this but was there any extensive damage to your cb?!
      No. A truck passing-by saw me in the ditch and towed me out, and I drove on in to work. I mentioned hitting the traffic barrell. I have some scratches down my right rear quarter panel. My alignment is shot, and wheels are possibly slightly bent. Also some of the heat shielding under the car got bent. But those are all such minor things.

My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Thread

Comment

compared to losing your life... yeah

Comment

I remember when I rolled my 98 Accord down an embankment and landed upside down. Windshield pushed in as far as the steering wheel and had I not been wearing my seatbelt I would've been fucking toast.

I was going around a corner / onramp at 70 when it was posted at 45. "I had done it before" so I didn't think anything of it....until this time there was oil in the road. Lost the ass end and couldn't regain. Bye bye, right off the highway and rolled about 75 feet until I finally stopped upside down. Scary shit man!
          VIP Status.

Comment

this reminds me in my old car a 91 eclipse i was going around 90 in the right lane i go to switch in the middle lane and there was a car in my blind spot (i hate ppl the drive in ur fukin blind spot) so i cut the wheel right to avoid hitting the car lost control did a 180 and slamed my passengerside in to the wall no damage only thing happend my car stalled and my hatched opend up started my car and on my way and another time about 2-3 weeks ago in my cb at around imgoing to say 100 i gofrom the far left all the way to the far right and guess what i see when i get into that lane u guessed it a car about 2 feet in front of me with no way to switch lanes so i hit the brakes and started to go into the shoulder so if i couldnt slowdown in time i wouldnt of hit it i didnt loose control and didnt hit anything but to this day i still thank god that, that car was where it was because right around the corner was a state tropper idk but i felt like sharing

Comment

Originally posted by 91dxaccordcb7 View Post
              this reminds me in my old car a 91 eclipse i was going around 90 in the right lane i go to switch in the middle lane and there was a car in my blind spot (i hate ppl the drive in ur fukin blind spot) so i cut the wheel right to avoid hitting the car lost control did a 180 and slamed my passengerside in to the wall no damage only thing happend my car stalled and my hatched opend up started my car and on my way and another time about 2-3 weeks ago in my cb at around imgoing to say 100 i gofrom the far left all the way to the far right and guess what i see when i get into that lane u guessed it a car about 2 feet in front of me with no way to switch lanes so i hit the brakes and started to go into the shoulder so if i couldnt slowdown in time i wouldnt of hit it i didnt loose control and didnt hit anything but to this day i still thank god that, that car was where it was because right around the corner was a state tropper idk but i felt like sharing
              Ok that hurt my head to read. Learn some punctuation and separate your stories into paragraphs. This helps people to read and understand your posts along with increasing the chance that someone is going to reply to you.

From what I understand you were speeding then cut across lanes, quite possibly without looking, ending up on the bumper of another car. Slow down some man and keep alert. While I'm not going to argue speeding, you need to make sure to pay attention to the other drivers on the road. There are a bunch of morons out there and you never know what to expect from them.

Originally posted by deevergote
              When you have to take a leak, and someone's in the bathroom, isn't it proper to piss in the fridge?

Comment

Holy crap, Rob. I'm glad you're ok!

I had a moment like that as well. I went up to visit AccordWarrior on his birthday, back in 2005. I went to help lower his car. I was on the road before 6am. It was a 6 hour drive each way. I drove up, worked on the car, hung out for a while, and then drove home. At some point (no idea what time it was...) I was driving through some pretty heavy (but briskly moving) traffic heading into NYC. Some tool in a Jetta tried messing with me. I was delirious by this point, so I took the bait. We began racing thruogh traffic, at what I'm sure was triple digit speeds... weaving in and out... I was playing Need For Speed Underground recently, and it was scary how similar it felt to playing a video game. When it finally hit me that I was ACTUALLY doing that, and I probably turned more than a few shades of pale.

I'm glad you're ok, and I'm glad that your car even made it through the ordeal relatively unscathed!

AccordWarrior recently witnessed a situation similar to yours. Only, instead of being cut off, the guy nearly sideswiped AW. Warrior laid on his horn (which is upgraded, and LOUD), and the guy missed him. He cut too hard, and then tried to correct it. Overcorrected, and lost control of his car. Ended up hitting the ditch, much as you did... only he rolled 3 times. He didn't survive. The man was handicapped, AND talking on his cell phone. Nobody deserves such a fate, but the guy was careless, and brought it upon himself (my friend took it to heart, regardless... he was shaken up and feeling guilty for days.)

Comment

thats the kind of thing that makes you change your driving style/habits

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                  01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                  93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                  93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

So Rob....I bet you wont do that again!!

I think I would have shit a chicken if I was spinning in the middle of the interstate at 114 mph. The fastest Ive had my cb up to since I did the swap was 95 and I let off because of poor alignment.

Comment

Sorry to hear but glad to hear you are ok. Makes my little accident recently seem minor!!! Except my damage to the car was worse ><

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                      Traded with: Cb7xChun
                      Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                      Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                      My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

im glad your ok man. you could have text me or somethin slut but im glad your still alive. normally at our meets(east coast meets), we speed and race on the highway. we all do. it just happens. but we all agreed after tickets and crap we've gotten, we aint doin it no more. too much to risk. and plus, we got the track to ourselves for 2-3hrs. haha

Comment

im glad youre alive and everything, but you deserve the outcome.. there is NO reason to have to drive like that at all.. endangering your life and many other lives simply because you are running late for work is fucking stupid.. 114mph?.. seriously??

Comment

Glad you're okay too man, I do have to say though this is why I never speed on the interstate. Especially in high trafffic. If you speed interstate do it when it's clear. And remember there is always consequences.

Hope everything works out on the car though.

Comment

this happened last month everyone i hope by now he got everything worked out
                              You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
                              Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Working...
                              X